Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Remote Connection/PPTP Software

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2006, 11:56 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Connection/PPTP Software

I would like to be able to access my home PC from another location, well from any location really...

I would like to be able to "take control" of it so to speak.

I have had a bit of a search around on old google and found one bit of software called "Remotely Anywhere" but its only a trial, it seems to work ok though.

Does anyone know/use any other method/software to access their PC remotely? I can setup firewall rules and port forwarding on my router so I can logon to my PC using VNC viewer for example, which works ok, but because I dont know the IP which I will be coming from when using another remote PC I have to allow any IP in on the VNC port, which I don't really want to do if I can help it?
Old 03 November 2006, 12:20 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

4 ways for you

VNC, works with all types of windows IIRC, Typically TCP port 5900

Remote Desktop for Windows XP Pro TCP port 3389

Logmein link here https://secure.logmein.com/go.asp?page=home

VPN in then use something to connect, equipment allowing, this would be the best method arguably

With remote desktop make SURE you have secure passwords on all your accounts including (if you use XP Pro) the local admin account.

examples.....password = terrible password
$uperN0va+?967t = good password

to be honest checking my router logs I ALWAYS get scanned on the VNC port every couple of hours or so, so i'd be reluctant to use that, remote desktop is good with secure passwords and the like but much better when limited to IP address which is what I use. Logmein i havent used but heard good things, my ideal choice would be IPSec VPN to get me onto my network then remote desktop into my computer

Last edited by mike1210; 03 November 2006 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03 November 2006, 01:40 AM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for that.

Unfortunately my router doesn't give me the facility to create IPSec VPN tunnels, plus I would need something at the other end with IPSec facility's (i.e. when at the girl friends house who only has a normal broadband router) or when I’m at work, they do have IPSec option but not much good when my router at home doesn't.

I don't like using VNC in this way either really as it gets hacked too easy as I have seen this happen on a few systems. Mind you if I knew the IP's I would be coming from when say at the miss's place then I could restrict VNC ports coming from one or two IP's only but she doesn't have an ISP fixed IP so her IP will change every now and then.

The logmein looks ok, very similar to the other eval one I found earlier.

How do I go setting up remote desktop? I have XP Pro....... (I will have a Google )
Old 03 November 2006, 06:59 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Logmein.

Nice software and my favourite price...! (Although I had the paid one for while, I just wasn't using the extra functionality)

Saves me loads of trips to the inlaws doing support
Old 03 November 2006, 07:41 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I use logmein.com as well, it is great. Remote Desktop is okay, it is just very easy for companies and internet cafe's etc to block the traffic so it is an unreliable way to connect.

Steve
Old 03 November 2006, 11:04 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I use VNC to remote access my computer, and I use Hamachi (Hamachi : Stay Connected) to connect through my router without having to open ports.

John.
Old 03 November 2006, 03:45 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stiscooby

How do I go setting up remote desktop? I have XP Pro )
right click my computer > properties > remote tab > tick check box on remote desktop

router side forward port 3389 to the IP address of your machine, use a MAC to IP binding if you can, so your machine gets the same internal IP address.
Make sure all accounts have very secure password as if the port is open to all anyone could have a go at loggin in. Only once in a few months have I been scanned on the remote desktop port whereas VNC is every day LOL, if you always connect from a certain computer maybe see if that ISP can provide a fixed IP address or narrow down the range of IP's that can connect using (if equipment permits) wildcard masks on the router, so for example ip address 195.0.0.0/0.255.255.255 will allow only Ip addresses that start with 195.xxx.xxx.xxx. The windows XP firewall on service pack 2 can also do this, that's for remote desktop, logmein could also be a good option as could Hamchi as above

Last edited by mike1210; 03 November 2006 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03 November 2006, 07:38 PM
Robocop
Scooby Regular

We've used www.gotomypc.com at work for over a year.