Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Is Mt Rainier / easywrite dead?

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2006, 04:25 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Mt Rainier / easywrite dead?

I've just ordered some new PCs for work.

Currently we use a pair of Lite-On CD-RW drives to backup and restore data using teh mt rainier/easywrite format (due to 1minute formatting, drag and drop and better error handling capebility than stock UDF RW format). The relatively small amount of data and only being 2 computers involved means that nothing extravagent is needed.

Would like to replace the drives with new ones as the old systems will be relogated to the dogsbodys as we have took on more staff.

However, when looking for some new DVD-rw drives, I can't appear to find any that support the format Although I can still get a dusty old stock CD-RW drive off the shelf.

What I would like to know is if the format has been abandoned, as I can't find any current information. And I don't really want to continue using a dead-end format (due to software and support in the long term).

So, anyone know? Has it been rebranded or replaced? Or can anyone suggest another format that is as easy and versatile to use? (i.e fast format, drag+drop and reliale using standard discs), bearing in mind I'm surrounded by feejits??

TIA

Last edited by Shark Man; 04 November 2006 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04 November 2006, 04:57 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

most currrent sw is now d&D

time to advance luddite

Mart
Old 04 November 2006, 05:09 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Luddite indeed

I know normal RW is drag and drop. But it takes the best part of 30mins to format. That is not accepatble, as teh feejits get bored and then don't bother doing backups (which they are bad enough as it is with my constant nagging )

Is there anything that can format and use a RW disc as quickly as mt rainer could?
Old 04 November 2006, 05:17 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I should add, am I right in saying DVD+ supports this format on the fly?

As the alternatives I have are DVD-RAM and DVD+RW, both will mean replacing the old drives as well as buying ones for the new systems.