Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

VHS to DVD via Mac - AllanB or Markus ???

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2006, 08:31 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question VHS to DVD via Mac - AllanB or Markus ???

Was asked today about what would be an ideal set-up for converting a library of old VHS personal video recordings onto DVD. The guy is familiar with Mac, so I recommended possibly a Mini package with the Elgato EyeTV 200. Would this be up to the job if used with Toast or iDVD ???

Thanks in advance
Old 15 October 2006, 12:09 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I've been doing the same thing myself converting footage of my rally car in action in the late 80s.

I'm using a Formac Studio DV which works quite well but remember the VHS player is normally the limitation in terms of quality.

Formac Studio DV/TVR Deluxe from MacWarehouse

I've been using a PowerMac G5 dual 1.8Ghz and it seems fine but I would suggest the Mac Mini has a serious limitation , the hard drive. I doubt 80Gb will be big enough unless you are only doing one tape at a time. I currently have 4 hard drives running on my G5 after filling up the main one after one tape.

I'd suggest getting a good hard drive like this to keep the projects on. iMovie whilst basic will allow you to edit the captured data well enough for simply VHS to DVD transfer and you can then transfer your projects into iDVD.

LaCie Hard Drive Design by F. A. Porsche Firewire from MacWarehouse

The only thing you will need to check is to ensure you have the right cables. Thes cable need to be directional or you get no signal and it won't work. Took me a while to solve that one !

I've not used any of the others like the Elgato or Canopus products so I can't vouch on how good or bad they are but as far as I know they all work fine.

If you need any more help just give me a shout.

AllanB
Old 15 October 2006, 12:39 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Bear in mind that IMovie HD, only comes as part of ILife now......

Great package when combined with iDVD.

I tend to bite the bullet and use Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro but that's because I'm nuts

Would echo the same sentiments that the Mini may not cut the mustard, not just due to the HD size, but I've found that performance is somewhat lacking - got a load of em at work for student DVD productions. They're ok, but not overly quick. However, they're not designed to be DV editing machines

Dan
Old 15 October 2006, 03:27 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

It dependa on how serious the guy is on editing. If its just a simple compile of data from VHS and dumping on a DVD then the speed might not be an issue

AllanB
Old 15 October 2006, 03:46 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Well I'll have to say my knowledge of such conversion is very limited, so go with what Allan and Dan have said. I did find this article when have a quick look around earlier.
Old 15 October 2006, 03:50 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the feedback guys, I was aware of the HD issue and had already suggested the Lacie 500gb which matches the Mini styling. I get the impression it won't be serious HD editing and I would think the processor will cope OK without going to the expense of a Mac Pro, but if he struggles he can always upgrade and flog the Mini to me for a good price Would I be right in thinking that the A-D video conversion gets done in the Elgato media box, saving the Mini from some heavy processing

I'll pass this info back to him and let him make his mind up

Last edited by corradoboy; 15 October 2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old 15 October 2006, 10:09 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Yeah thats correct, iMovie sees the device like a normal firewire camera and just takes in the DV data woth the box doing the hard work.

AllanB
Old 15 October 2006, 10:23 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

So it would be prudent to suppose that a 1.86ghz Dual Core Mini would be able to handle the task
Old 16 October 2006, 07:46 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Should do the trick (I've got the "old" 1.45Ghz minis and they are functional ) - just spec it up with plenty of memory

Dan
Old 16 October 2006, 09:19 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Yep should be fine, RAM it up and with a decent external HD to dump your projects on

AllanB