Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Recording a DVD onto Hard Drive to edit

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2006, 09:44 AM
fromage
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recording a DVD onto Hard Drive to edit

I need to know how to record dvd's onto hard drive so I can edit them, put a few together and then back on to DVD.

As previously we just used videos and recorded the videos to the hard drive then edited them and then recorded them onto the DVD to be sent out.

So any good programs or easy ways to do this.

Many Thanks
Old 24 April 2006, 10:18 AM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fromage
I need to know how to record dvd's onto hard drive so I can edit them, put a few together and then back on to DVD.

As previously we just used videos and recorded the videos to the hard drive then edited them and then recorded them onto the DVD to be sent out.

So any good programs or easy ways to do this.

Many Thanks
You will need something like DVD decripter but I think the sites been shut down - I am sure someone could e-mail you the zip if they still have it knocking about
Old 24 April 2006, 02:15 PM
fromage
Scooby Regular

The DVD's are only our own dvds from CCTV Drainage surveys
Old 24 April 2006, 02:35 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll need to convert the dvd to something you can edit, avi or wmf etc. Its quite a long process, takes as long if not longer than watching the dvd itself. I've yet to find one that is of good quality, but thats only because I go for the free ones. Do a google search on DVD to AVi converter, should help you find one.
Old 24 April 2006, 03:03 PM
Rage!
BANNED

You 'edit' your drainage surveys too huh?

I bet all the cracked bits/blockages are left on the cutting room floor!

Seriously though, we do our own drainage surveys too and have found it is actually easier to record from the DVD in the same way we record from the VHS. Just connect the PC to the video out of the DVD player.

It means doing it in real time but by the time you have faffed around trying to decode and re-encode DVD's you won't have lost any time.
Old 25 April 2006, 02:19 PM
fromage
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rage!
You 'edit' your drainage surveys too huh?

I bet all the cracked bits/blockages are left on the cutting room floor!

Seriously though, we do our own drainage surveys too and have found it is actually easier to record from the DVD in the same way we record from the VHS. Just connect the PC to the video out of the DVD player.

It means doing it in real time but by the time you have faffed around trying to decode and re-encode DVD's you won't have lost any time.
Yeah I just bought a DVD/VCR player and connected it up as before, and that seems the best way for now.

oh I love watching drainage videos all day lol
Old 25 April 2006, 02:27 PM
fromage
Scooby Regular

I don't suppose you have any software you can reccomend for editing and actually creating the DVD's as im using some ****e bundled stuff at the moment and Im sure it can be done faster.
Old 25 April 2006, 06:19 PM
D16GER
Scooby Regular

I have tried quite a few of them, and always go back to the same 2 - Power Director and Nero. Didn't like so many things about other sofware.

Nero and PowerDirector just work for me. They are simple to use and do the task relatively quickly.

Bear in mind though, the higher the quality you set, the longer it will take to encode. You need to have a really fast, dual core processor to get the best encoding speeds.
Old 26 April 2006, 07:47 AM
RichardS2005
Scooby Regular

Could try Windows Movie Maker as it comes free with XP and doesn't do a bad job for basic editing - cut/combine etc. The only other one I have used is Premiere from Adobe, which is pretty good but expensive and probably has more features than you need for CCTV surveys (hope I'm not doing you a disservice)!
Old 26 April 2006, 09:45 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

This is really easy to do using DVDShrink. You can directly edit your vobs and merge them all back together in the same program.

DVDShrink allows you to add vobs from multiple DVD's and edit each one until you have your new compilation.

Check out the advanced guide here: http://www.dvdshrink.info/re-author-advanced.php

and the compilation guide here: http://www.dvdshrink.info/compilation.php

Just rip all of your vobs to folders using DVDShrink. Then keep adding them and editing them until you're happy. If you aren't using fancy effects and just want to edit the raw footage its ideal.
Old 26 April 2006, 12:25 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

just got dvdshrink yesterday as my kids are always wrecking their DVDs so i made them some spares and keep the originals safe - superb bit of software, fast and very easy.