Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Slow Bit Torrent Downloads ?

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2006, 05:47 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Bit Torrent Downloads ?

Last few downloads seem to be very slow. Getting 25kb/sec download when normally get 200+. Using Bit Tornado and it indicates total speed of 501kb/sec available.

Is it just me. On Pipex Go 2mb BTW.

Simon.
Old 14 April 2006, 05:49 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Answered my own question:

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_threa...133&forum_id=1

Hmm think they will regret that move.

Simon.
Old 14 April 2006, 07:13 PM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

Whats it say. Cant be arsed to read 5 pages of forum posts.

I heard something about Pipex capping people using p2p as its slowing there network or something.
Old 14 April 2006, 08:49 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

It's the way things are heading, people who want to download illegal content will have to use the 'other' internet. Bit of a shame but a simple concept and easy way out for service providers.
Old 15 April 2006, 09:16 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Originally Posted by JackClark
It's the way things are heading, people who want to download illegal content will have to use the 'other' internet. Bit of a shame but a simple concept and easy way out for service providers.

jack, not just illegal stuff, but interesting "news" articles too

Dazza
Old 15 April 2006, 09:33 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I have Limewire installed so I can search for interesting "news' articles, I won't miss much when NTL block it.

Last edited by JackClark; 15 April 2006 at 09:38 AM.
Old 15 April 2006, 11:24 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Typical Clark paranoia, p2p isn't just for illegal content Also lots of companies will be using p2p to provide services, like Sky (byBB) and the BBC (IMP).
Old 16 April 2006, 01:41 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
Typical Clark paranoia, p2p isn't just for illegal content Also lots of companies will be using p2p to provide services, like Sky (byBB) and the BBC (IMP).
Would'nt it depend on what ports the legimit downloads will use. Some ISPs already block some P2P by blocking certain ports currently in use for illegal downloads.
Old 16 April 2006, 12:04 PM
scoobycool
Scooby Regular

has anyone heard of ace-internet? because i'm looking for a new ISP to migrate from Pipex.
Pipex has blocked the P2P download :c !
see the link:
http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.php/Bad_ISPs
Old 16 April 2006, 04:15 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
Would'nt it depend on what ports the legimit downloads will use. Some ISPs already block some P2P by blocking certain ports currently in use for illegal downloads.
Not that I know of no. Depends on the p2p client but most can use a static port so u can forward it in a router, or a random port. Alot of isps are using deep packet inspection now anyway to throttle or block p2p traffic, so the port used doesn't come into it.
Old 16 April 2006, 04:48 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Not that I know of no. Depends on the p2p client but most can use a static port so u can forward it in a router, or a random port. Alot of isps are using deep packet inspection now anyway to throttle or block p2p traffic, so the port used doesn't come into it.
Ive downloaded Utorrent client which allows you to select P2P encryption. Seems to bypass the throttling somewhat as I get 60kb/sec now instead of maz 20kb/sec. Just need more people to start using encryption.

Whichever way they block it someone will find a way around it so I wonder why they bother.

Simon.
Old 16 April 2006, 05:34 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

interesting to know.
Old 16 April 2006, 05:34 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Ive downloaded Utorrent client which allows you to select P2P encryption. Seems to bypass the throttling somewhat as I get 60kb/sec now instead of maz 20kb/sec. Just need more people to start using encryption.

Whichever way they block it someone will find a way around it so I wonder why they bother.

Simon.
I'll keep a note of that one also.
Old 16 April 2006, 09:48 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

They recond that maxing out a MAXdsl connection all day all night for a month would cost them £1700 in line rental. Hence all are introducing caps or throttling traffic. Im 99% sure the traffic inspection works at layer 7 of the OSI model so trying to tunnel through different ports won't make a difference as the application gets inspected. Normal router firewalls work at a lower level inspecting port, protocol (TCP,UDP or ICMP/IGMP) and IP address. Caps is the nicer method for torrent users although some would argue that putting a QOS (Quality Of Service) policy on traffic makes online gaming better as live traffic (VoIP etc) will get priority. I've just moved to Zen who did the migration in 2 days, its capped to 50 gig which is fine for me and they openly state NO traffic shaping

Last edited by mike1210; 16 April 2006 at 09:52 PM.
Old 16 April 2006, 10:18 PM
furrydice79
Scooby Regular

use www.easynews.com so much better than torrents and p2p
Old 16 April 2006, 10:34 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike1210
They recond that maxing out a MAXdsl connection all day all night for a month would cost them £1700 in line rental. Hence all are introducing caps or throttling traffic. Im 99% sure the traffic inspection works at layer 7 of the OSI model so trying to tunnel through different ports won't make a difference as the application gets inspected. Normal router firewalls work at a lower level inspecting port, protocol (TCP,UDP or ICMP/IGMP) and IP address. Caps is the nicer method for torrent users although some would argue that putting a QOS (Quality Of Service) policy on traffic makes online gaming better as live traffic (VoIP etc) will get priority. I've just moved to Zen who did the migration in 2 days, its capped to 50 gig which is fine for me and they openly state NO traffic shaping
Obviously it doesnt if it works. What would be the point of encrypting data if anyone could inspect it that easily? Once all ISPs adopt this policy more people will use torrent encryption and the speeds will be back to normal.

I dont mind having limits but Pipex and others are blocking torrent traffic 24*7 now, or should I say throttling down to sub 256kbit. I dont download that much other than some US TV shows that arent shown in the UK. Why not just punish they heavy users with high charges for exceeding bandwidth?

Simon.
Old 16 April 2006, 10:50 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

yep totally agree they are going way over the top. I think the limits as well are due to BT's pricing for the product but as you say with the ability to legally download tv shows and the like many people will go over the limits with no real wrong doing. yes encrypting data would sort the problem id imagine as there is no way they can inspect encrypted traffic in real time. Not sure if news feed throttling is got around by using NNTPS (secure version) or how many usenet providers support this. I think BT predicted that extreme users would be rubbing their hand together at the thought of high speed newsfeeds and torrents hence the pricing they have adapted. One last thing is that ISP's also DO NOT want extreme users as they cost them money so they adapt these policies in the hope that that the heavy users will jump ship

Last edited by mike1210; 16 April 2006 at 10:57 PM.
Old 17 April 2006, 11:23 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Yeh I use Azureus using encryption as well, which was fine for about a week, then my isp found a way of throttling those signatures to, using the Ellaycoya kit that they use. They can't afford for p2p to slip through at maximum speed at all. They can't sustain the cost of it anymore, due to the way BTw are now pricing their networks, or so they say All you can eat BB in the UK is dead unfortunately. Which prompts the question, what is the point in maxdsl or adsl2 if we can only dload a relatively small amount each month?

Another thumbs up for easynews, but you do pay for it, so you would expect it to be better and more reliable than p2p n BT
Old 17 April 2006, 12:30 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

I remember from the past that BT only really change when they have to. I think it was 1999 (erm ish) when NTL offered internet (modem) as a flat fee then BT started doing the same thing. ADSL technology has been round for ages but they sat on it for years. Hopefully this new "free" ADSL service being talked about will make BT rethink their pricing. Speed wise NTL's 10 meg connection and other various LLU services have made BT speed their lines up, even though ADSL could always go at these speeds, they held it back to 2 meg. For news feeds id have to go with giganews, pricing seems to be cheaper and the service is excellent.. I think now ISP's all want the ideal user, in that someone who uses 10 meg per month and doesnt clutter up the line using the service that he has actually payed for

Last edited by mike1210; 17 April 2006 at 12:33 PM.
Old 17 April 2006, 05:23 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt have thought that BT pricing is that big a factor. I dont confess to being an ADSL guru but all BT provide is the copper line from your house to BTs exchange then joining your ISPs IP network. BT dont give a monkeys how much data you send over that line. However the ISP does as they have finite bandwith over their network (or in many cases the bandwidth they purchase off a larger global carrier e.g. Pipex use Verizon). The more traffic they need to carry the larger access circuits they need which costs more. BT arent a monopoly with high bandwidth optical (STM1 and above) circuits in the UK.

I have no problem with my ISP saying they dont want any user downloading 24*7 as it effects the performance of other customers. What I do object to is that:

a) They are effectively telling you what you can and cant use your connection for (or at least at what speeds). Im happy to have xxGB limit but its up to me what I use it for.

b) They (at least PIPEX) dont tell you they are throttling back P2P transmissions - your left to find out yourself from other users and forums across the internet.

I would estimate that I download less than 10gb a month but am being throttled back the same as some P2P ***** doing 50gb+

Simon.
Old 17 April 2006, 05:33 PM
mark.coleman
Scooby Regular

I'm with Freedom2surf, using Azureus, my download speeds have been rubbish for the last 4-5 months, even as bad as 2k, anyone got some tweeks I could try?

Thanks.

Mark
Old 17 April 2006, 09:55 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Another vote for easynews here too.

John.
Old 17 April 2006, 11:22 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular