Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help Please ... MP3s to CD?

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2006, 06:44 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please ... MP3s to CD?

I have a bunch of MP3s that I'm trying to copy onto a CD-R. Using windows XP Pro on Dell Inspiron. Using Roxio CD Creator but that only sees them as audio files (i.e. .wav presumably) so only allows me to get 15 or so onto the CD whereas I know I ought to be able to get a lot more on.

What am I doing wrong?

Is there some free utility I can get that will do this? Don't mention WMP as I've tried that and it was rubbish.

The annoying thing is that I'm only doing this to get the mp3's onto my Powerbook. Although both machines are on the same home network i can't get them to link up ....

Thanks for any advice!

Cheers,

Jack
Old 07 March 2006, 06:52 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

You can just use windows itself.
Put the disk in, and open it up from My Computer if it does not auto run.
Copy and paste the songs you want, and hit 'write'.
Jobs a good 'un.
Old 07 March 2006, 07:13 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

iTunes makes it very easy.
Old 07 March 2006, 08:50 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

But doesn't iTunes hold the files in proprietary format? Will it let me take mp3s and burn them as mp3's to a disk?
Old 07 March 2006, 09:53 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Jack,
iTunes will certainly let you burn the mp3 files to CD, just make sure the burn options are set to "MP3 CD" and you should be good to go.

If the files are not in mp3 format then you will need to convert them before burning them in iTunes, as it won't, unless I'm mistaken, convert them automatically.

When it comes to Fairplay encoded files, I'm fairly sure you cannot burn an mp3 cd of them, partly as they are not mp3 and partly due to them being protected, but I am sure you can burn them to an audio cd, then import them again as mp3 files, at which point they will not be protected and you can burn them.
Old 07 March 2006, 10:36 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Nero can do this. All you do is just copy the MP3s over onto the blank CD using CD-ROM (ISO) mode.
Old 07 March 2006, 11:24 PM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

Im with Kammy. unless you need to spend money on a pro burning suite of tools just drag the MP3's to the CD burner using windows explorer and a bubble should pop up near the clock telling you there is data waiting to be burned. Click on the bubble and the you will be able to burn using the built in roxio burning software that comes with XP.
Old 08 March 2006, 09:12 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jack,

There's two ways of listening to music on a CD. The first is via "Audio" Tracks., the second is via an music data file (e.g. MP3).

The blank CD should list two values - the audio capacity and the data capacity. Audio is likely to be around 80mins and data 700Mb, for example.

So, if you burn tracks creating an Audio CD, you'll get 80mins and roughly 15 tracks depending on how long they are - think back to the old cassette days. Windows Media Player, iTunes Roxio and Nero can do this.

If you have a device that can read MP3 data CD's (another PC, some car headunits and recent hi-fi's or CD Players), then you can copy tons of MP3 tracks onto CD in the same way you would copy a data file (e.g. pictures, word documents, etc..). Native Windows XP, iTunes and Nero can all do this for you.

So, as long as you choose a normal data or MP3 CD (and not "Audio), you should get loads on a blank CD.

Stefan
Old 08 March 2006, 01:46 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies. On Roxio, I figured out that I first needed to open a different window where I could choose to burn a data CD or an audio CD. Obviously I needed data CD. There were other problems with that that I won't bore you with, so I decided to use iTunes which, indeed, does let you store and burn as mp3 so long as you set up the preferences correctly. Also, I like the iTunes interface.

Just using Windows by dragging didn't seem to work as I kept getting an error message that there was no writable disk in the drive, even though there quite clearly was.

So all fine now, anyway.

Cheers!

jack
Old 08 March 2006, 01:54 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I use the Roxio software to burn my cds / dvd, and have had no problems at all burning either data or music discs. I've found it far more reliable than Nero or iTunes for burning (Nero burns coasters on my machine, and iTunes crashes).

Which version of the Roxio software are you using?