Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless Router (adsl?)

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2006, 06:53 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless Router (adsl?)

Posted before but that was a while ago and things have probably moved on since then, anyway....

My Dad has a PC, as does my Mum. Currently there's a BB modem/router (usb and ethernet cable to PC) plugged into one computer. Now want to get the other computer to use BB connection. Can't be doing with cabling everywhere so wireless it is.

So which one?

Needs the adaptors for 2 PC's (most things I see have them for laptops which is no good ) plus the modem/router. Both PC's have pci and usb slots available.

Should he keep the current modem and just get a router + adaptors? or are the allinone router/modem just as cheap (in which case I'll have his old model LOL).
Old 16 January 2006, 09:53 PM
VAL113R
Scooby Regular

It depends who his ISP is. If it's ADSL then you will probably end up with a Modem/Router combo, this replaces his current modem. You can either have both PCs wireless or you can have the one which the modem is connected to at the moment, connected to the wireless router via USB or RJ45. The other PC can go wireless.

If it's DSL then you would get a wireless router. This works the same but you keep your current modem.

cheers

Originally Posted by Dracoro
Posted before but that was a while ago and things have probably moved on since then, anyway....

My Dad has a PC, as does my Mum. Currently there's a BB modem/router (usb and ethernet cable to PC) plugged into one computer. Now want to get the other computer to use BB connection. Can't be doing with cabling everywhere so wireless it is.

So which one?

Needs the adaptors for 2 PC's (most things I see have them for laptops which is no good ) plus the modem/router. Both PC's have pci and usb slots available.

Should he keep the current modem and just get a router + adaptors? or are the allinone router/modem just as cheap (in which case I'll have his old model LOL).
Old 16 January 2006, 10:36 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

ISP is BT. Not sure if ADSL or DSL (how could I find out?) but it's out in small village in kent.

Both PC's need to be able to use the connection independantly (i.e. it should rely on PC 1 to be on so that PC 2 can use the internet).
Old 17 January 2006, 08:26 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

That would be ADSL then. Comps that can be connected with ethernet then use that. Then wireless for ones that can't.

check some out here

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/

make sure you click on the ADSL routers

Last edited by mike1210; 17 January 2006 at 08:54 AM.
Old 17 January 2006, 10:27 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

I'm with BT on the 2mb Package and I use a Linksys WAG-54G.

802.11g wireless (up to 54Mbps)
802.11b wireless (11Mbps)
Reasonable wireless security with 128-bit WPA encryption and MAC filtering
4 Port 10/100 switch

Works fine, though I've heard people have problems with older versions.

Range is decent and can get from one side of a fairly large house to the other with no issues. Easy to setup and logs in from power up to my account in 30 seconds.

Simple and effectve for around £45 (you'll need a wireless card for the PC's)

Netgear and other makes are as good/worse under certain conditions, but make sure it's compatible with your line as some models may not be compliant.

Check your line/cable/ISP provider webdsite to get compatible models..
Old 17 January 2006, 11:20 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

I've had 3 wireless netgears and no end of problems, both my D-Links (the first non-wireless the second which i'm using now wireless) have been faultless, if *alittle* harder at first to set up.