Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Linskys ADSL Gateway

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2005, 05:16 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Linskys ADSL Gateway

Got the above up and running my PC, laptop and PSP with no problems, but how do I go about setting it up to be password protected so that anyone will not be able to use it.
Old 12 December 2005, 05:51 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

Have a look at the responses to my set up last year...

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...hlight=linksys

0800 026 1418's the freephone tech support at Linksys

Last edited by Dieseldog; 12 December 2005 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12 December 2005, 06:02 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

Yes but i`m a comp novice, whats the MAC address of the laptop and the PSP as well
Old 12 December 2005, 08:28 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

Help me please, just knocked sons laptop offline for 3 hours playing with the settings.
what I need is an an idiots guide to setting the password.
Old 12 December 2005, 09:39 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

To set the security up, I...

1. Typed 192.168.1.1 into Internet Explorer tool bar, which took me to the Linksys setup page, requiring a username and password. If you've not accessed this page before, you should be able to leave the username blank and for the password type 'admin'. This gets you to the setup site for your Gateway...

2. I had my internet providers details on hand and had made note of the VCI / VP numbers and also the PPP type (e.g. PPoA). These I typed into the relevant sections on the Linksys Basic Setup page, along with changing the Multiplexing option to 'LLC'. Then, at the bottom of the page I saved my settings. Then, back on the Linksys page I started to setup the security side...

3. In the Wireless section of the Linksys setup page, I selected wireless network mode as 'mixed', set my own Wireless Network Name (SSID) (e.g. 'Alltorquenet') and selected the wirless network to '11' (why this figure I can't remember - sorry). Again, I saved these settings, then returned to the page.

4. Under Wireless Security, I selected 'WPA - Pre Shared Key' as the Security Mode, 'TKIP' as the algorithms, and set a 10 digit number in the WPA Shared Key section. MAKE A NOTE OF THIS NUMBER!!! Once again I saved at the bottom of the page.

5. Next go to the Wireless Network Access section of the Linksys page and select the 'Restrict Access' and 'Permit Only' options. You have to input the MAC addresses of your sons laptop and the PSP. To get the laptops MAC address, on the laptop type START>CONTROL PANEL>NETWORK CONNECTIONS>LOCAL AREA NETWORK (double click)>SUPPORT>DETAILS. The MAC address is called the Physical address. As for the PSP MAC address you'll have to Google - sorry.

Once you have this address and have typed it into the MAC 01 section on the Linksys setup page (and have saved it again), the next time the laptop searches for a wireless network it should find the Linksys network but will prompt you for the same WPA shared key you wrote down before, as it should show the network as locked.

Hope this helps. I'm no computer person - this is just as I remember setting mine up last time. The guys on the Linksys freephone number are helpful if a little plodding (they're in Manilla). Hopefully someone who knows what they're talking about will be along to correct me and help you in a minute.
Old 12 December 2005, 09:56 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

Done I think, thanks for the help one happy teenager.