Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone tempted by the Xbox 360

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2005, 04:19 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone tempted by the Xbox 360

At just over £200 and getting the jump on the PS3 for availability i'm mighty tempted. Even if it just for project Gotham The PS3 is a difinate must have but i was thinking about getting the 360 too.

Are the xbox games backward compatible?

Is there a release price and date for the PS3?

Sony are playing down the launch of the 360 and saying that they're not bothered! So is the PS3 really gonna be that much more advanced?

Unbiased views please
Old 07 October 2005, 04:34 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Why is the PS3 a must have? its not out til this time next year if you believe recent rumours.

PS3 - Pants, just like the PS2 compared the the current Xbox, IMO the only people who call the xbox a poor console are those who are stuck in their ways with the PS2.... Give it a try. (I have the PS2 btw and theres no doubting that Microsoft have the edge over it
Old 07 October 2005, 04:36 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

I have ordered the 360 as I think the Xbox has been great up to now and online play is very good. Not fussed by which one is better and I'm sure both will claim they have the better hardware. Ignore the basic package at £200 and buy the £279 premium pack. Backwards comp is only available on the £279 model as it has a hard drive.
Old 07 October 2005, 04:37 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

The are quite a few of us on here with pre-orders for the 360, also quite a few of us intend getting both

Sony's spec seems to be heading in the right direction but with Xbox getting the jump on them its being sold on the strength of the late surge the xbox made towards the end of its life with really good quality playable games and Xbox live.

Sony's online play system was not a patch on xbox live so a lot depends on how they play it.

There will be a big enough gap in releases to get both systems though
Old 07 October 2005, 04:38 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

aye for the extra money the £280 pack is defo worth it. great pricing structure from Microsoft. PS3 is probably coming out a year later because it cant compete with the pricing by which time the xbox360 will be down to £200 for the premium pack
Old 07 October 2005, 04:42 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Had my 360 (premium pack) ordered since the day they started taking pre-orders

PS3 is vapour-ware at the moment. Nobody knows when it's going to be released, how powerful it will be, how much it's going to cost, or even what the games will look like (all the video footage shown so far has been pre-rendered). So there's no point in trying to compare at the moment. Anyone who says that the PS3 is better is talking rubbish because until both machines are available for side-by-side comparison, nobody can know.

No doubt I'll get one, but it'll very like be another 12 months or more before we see it here.
Old 07 October 2005, 04:45 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

The PS3 is a must have because of the games that you can get for it, although the xbox titles are catching up now! I agree that the better pack is the one to get £280 is a little over 200 ain't it

I have both at the moment so will probably get both of the new ones
Old 07 October 2005, 04:48 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5SCOTT
The PS3 is a must have because of the games that you can get for it, although the xbox titles are catching up now!
Like what?

As far as I can see, they haven't announced any major killer exclusive titles for the PS3 yet.
Old 07 October 2005, 04:48 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Did i hear something about them being Hidef. That will be good on my new 436 XDE Pioneer
Old 07 October 2005, 04:50 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Like what?

As far as I can see, they haven't announced any major killer exclusive titles for the PS3 yet.
Yeah but you know Sony, they rule the roost with gaming
Old 07 October 2005, 04:54 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I disagree. I've got all the major consoles (Dreamcast, SNES, numerous Gameboys, PSP, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox etc) and I use the xbox far more than any of the others.

In fact, I've been finding it really hard to find anything worth buying for the PS2 these days. Everything just seems to be substandard remakes...
Old 07 October 2005, 06:45 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

LOL.. but by the time the PS3 comes out XBOX360 will have released a whole host of games, and people like Konami etc will be falling over themselves to release their latest game on the latest generation of consoles and since the PS3 wont be around its going to be in catch up mode when its finally released

And the XBOX360 will have a HD feed yes
Old 07 October 2005, 06:48 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Well apparently i have just ruined my xmas present because the missus has already ordered me one
Old 07 October 2005, 06:57 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I got my XBOX last year, after being out of the gaming thing for a while. Must say I like it a lot, and LIVE is how online gaming should be, and something Sony really need to pick up on.

I got my Playstation on the day of release in the UK and loved it, had a rather large collection of games. When the PS2 came out, well, I didn't rush to buy one and I think it was around a year until I eventually got one and I think the only game I had for it was GT3, I used it mainly as DVD player.

As for XBOX 360, yes, I'm tempted by it, I know I should not be, as I don't use by xbox as much as I used to, but I'll probably get one a few months after it's release.

PS3? Probably not. If I were to purchase it, it would be for the next version of GT and I'm not purchasing a console just for a single game (ok, ok GT and MGS4 ). I really do hope sony picks up the ball with online gaming, it seriously needs to. Fantastic graphics are good, but if you're online play system is useless then you'll lose out as online play, to me, is where things have been and continue to head.
Old 07 October 2005, 06:58 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

LOL!!

I ruined my birthday present, as I pre-ordered mine..... ang on? I'm buying my own birthday present........... summit ain't right.......

Dan
Old 08 October 2005, 01:55 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Scott!
Funnily enough I have a 360 on preorder and also looking to get the Pioneer!
I'll ring you over the weekend if you are on the same number.
Cheers!

Mossman
Old 08 October 2005, 04:54 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mossman
Scott!
Funnily enough I have a 360 on preorder and also looking to get the Pioneer!
I'll ring you over the weekend if you are on the same number.
Cheers!

Mossman
Yep no problems mate, Its the best Plasma about at the moment. Got better black levels than the Panasonic and an inproved picture over last years model. Although at the moment the picture is only as good as the broadcast so roll on next year when Sky do Hidef. They are slowly coming through now so you should'nt have to wait too long for one.

I bought mine from AVLand and they are about the cheapest at the moment, £2500 for the screen, £200 for the wall bracket and £200 for the speakers

Scott
Old 09 October 2005, 02:11 AM
badcompany
Scooby Regular

wots the best site to order one from "im very tempted now"

ie the fastest delivery when it hits the market & how many games do you get

with it ..and what type please..driving ..shooting games ...

sozz for all the questions

looks at his dream cast .now a door stop ..pmsl ..

got the psp psx1 & 2 and the xbox ...

Last edited by badcompany; 09 October 2005 at 02:13 AM.
Old 09 October 2005, 09:57 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

The easiest way is to go into a high-street shop, as most online retailers have sold out their initial stock.

Even then, my local "Game" has now sold out of in-store allocations.......

In the event that this a nationwide trend, "good luck" finding one.....

Dan
Old 09 October 2005, 02:09 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by davegtt
LOL.. but by the time the PS3 comes out XBOX360 will have released a whole host of games, and people like Konami etc will be falling over themselves to release their latest game on the latest generation of consoles and since the PS3 wont be around its going to be in catch up mode when its finally released

And the XBOX360 will have a HD feed yes
I think whe Microsoft was pitching the Xbox 360 to various industry big wigs and talking about the competition i.e Playstation 3 (at the time the spec of which had not been confirmed) they said: "The way we see it, we've got a Ferrari, they've got a Ferrari, we started the race first......in most races, that's a very good thing!"

I'll get one no doubt, but will give it a while for the price to come down, no point in paying top dollar before Xmas when anyone can see that the prices will drop significantly when the PS3 is released!

NS04
Old 09 October 2005, 08:46 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

I hear that Microsoft will be looking to launch Halo 3 for the 360 on the same day as the PS3 hardware comes out, as they are expected around the same time.

Cheeky monkeys, and a great marketing move

Joolz