Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Beastly incident

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2001, 12:36 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Tempted to post this on General, but don't think I will.

Take a look
Old 12 April 2001, 12:58 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Red face

'Kin hell.....

What on earth happened?????

You can't post pics like that and then not tell us..... !!!!!

Presumably, you're fine thought right...

Matt

[This message has been edited by mutant_matt (edited 12 April 2001).]
Old 12 April 2001, 01:23 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Oh deary me....

Well the damage actually looked worse when I saw the car Markus so that must be good news in a strange way...

Hope the polishing reduced the scratching a bit?

JGM
Old 12 April 2001, 02:09 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

OK, basically, I go to overtake a car and lorry, as I draw alongside other car driver decides to pull out right in front of me, I slam on brakes, SuzyQ shouts, maggie yelps, I react and pull right, thus going into a 4 foot hedge, which promptly scrapes, scratches and dents the drivers side, plus the hedge decides to impail a bit of branch into my rear wheel, between the alloy and tyre.

We caught up with the car and they gave us abuse such as 'get his reg number and name so we can find out where he lives' so we're somewhat worried at this point. They refuse to give details, so we get thier reg number and then pop off to cop shop to report the accident. There was no damage to their car at all.

Police visited me on tuesday and basically as there were no independant witnesses they are not taking any further action. This was main reason why I'd not said anything before (this actually happened about a month ago) as I did not want to say anything in case any legal action was taken.

Suzy, Maggie and I are all OK, my confidence has taken a bit of a knock, but that's about it. All damge to the beast is cosmetic and I have had the oily bits checked out (Cheers Graham @ GDA) and they are all fine.

I have used T-Cut Color on it and it has removed loads of scratches so it does look a bit better than in the pics.

As for repairs, well, I'm not going through insurance company, naughty I know, but I really cannot afford to lose 3 years NCB due to the claim, as it would mean I could not insure the beast next year. No doubt I'm going to get blacklisted by the insurance company for not telling them.
Old 12 April 2001, 02:35 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Red face

Markus, sorry to hear that. You were sort of in a no win situation by the sounds of things

Hope you get things orted soon though
Old 12 April 2001, 04:27 PM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Angry

Markus,

Can't believe it - glad you're all okay though, nasty business some people....

Speak soon.
Kim (& Dom)
Old 12 April 2001, 04:40 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Cool

bummer... glad to see you're all ok though...

where abouts did this happen????
Old 12 April 2001, 04:41 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Red face

Markus That is not good.

Glad your ok, and the imbreds that would'nt stop probably need shooting. I'm game

R
Old 12 April 2001, 04:58 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the concerns guys n gals

Dom,
To answer your question. It was on the A268, between Newenden and Sandhurst. Basically we were coming back from playing with maggie down at camber and we went through Newenden and just after there is a left hander and on that corner is a right hand turn which is the A28 which leads to Tenterden. After the left hander is a nice bit of straight all the way up to Sandhurst, it is along this straight that the incident occured, I'm told the road is called 'Queen Street'

if you look
Old 12 April 2001, 05:14 PM
JAMES BUSHELL
Scooby Regular

Oh $hit.................. ..

Glad you're ok though.. Graham is good with bodywork so it should go back to its former glory...

James
Old 12 April 2001, 05:18 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

James,
agree totally about Graham, top bloke, can't fault him.

Did think about leaving the damage though, coz it'd be like battle scars, plus no-one would ding the doors as they'd be too scared to park near the damaged heap ;-)

maybe you guys n gals will get to see it in it's damaged state when/if I turn up at the next south east meet.
Old 12 April 2001, 08:58 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Angry

hi markus

glad to hear you're ok.

sounds nasty. bound to shake you and esp your passengers up somewhat.

my aunt and uncle live in tenterden, so i know the area sort of.

come up most years to see them....will be up in a few months to see my uncle on stage in hastings.

will look out for you and the beast in all its glory maybe ?

steve

[This message has been edited by Steve Perriam (edited 12 April 2001).]
Old 13 April 2001, 12:05 PM
Leigh
Scooby Regular

Talking

Markus
That disc you have in your rear window is identical to one under the tint in the rear of my 95 wrx! ...I haven't a clue what it is though!
Does anyone know?
Old 17 April 2001, 11:08 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry to hear about your incident. Sounds like your quick reactions prevented a much worse accident. It's a shame that the Police can't/won't take further action against these reprobates. If nothing else, for threatening behaviour.

This incident reminded me about one of the few times you can correctly use the horn - before overtaking. But, I never use when overtaking, 'cos you're likely to agravate the person being overtaken. These guys that pulled in front of you sound exactly the sort to be agravated by use of the horn.

Fine looking beast BTW.
Old 17 April 2001, 01:22 PM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

Iy seems a big shame and a disgrace to the police for not wanting to do anything about the other vehicle,I.E did they look in their mirror before pulling out?,what if you and your party were injured?
Old 17 April 2001, 04:31 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Jerome:
Re, using the horn. Officer said that using horn flahsing lights would be acceptable as this is when you're meant to use horn/lights. We did agree that in this day and age it's usually considered agressive behaviour, but we both said that at least people would see me, even though we did say that it's hard to miss the blackbeast!

Jerome & Pbone
Police can't/wont take further action as there are not third party witnesses, so it'd be me vs them, and as I'm young, in fast car, etc, etc a court case would probably not go in my favour, plus I'm not pursuing it through my insurance company. To be honest I'm not too worried. OK, so I have to shell out for the repairs, but hey, that's life.
Old 18 April 2001, 12:22 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

seems to be scooby phenomena (?sp) - it happened twice to me over easter weekend; pulling out to overtake 2 vehicles and the second vehicle deciding to start overtaking the first vehicle when i'm practically alongside.

The first time I braked sharp-ish, the other overtaking vehicle saw me and pulled in - in the second case as soon as as the second vehicle pulled to the right I flashed my headlights and it pulled in.

I think it's just a combination of lack of overtaking spaces and the car in front waiting so long to make an overtaking manoueuvre the driver forgets to check the rear view or side mirror.
Old 18 April 2001, 06:21 AM
ejicon
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

glad to see you're o.k...
Old 19 April 2001, 03:57 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by philc:
<B>seems to be scooby phenomena (?sp) - it happened twice to me over easter weekend; pulling out to overtake 2 vehicles and the second vehicle deciding to start overtaking the first vehicle when i'm practically alongside.

The first time I braked sharp-ish, the other overtaking vehicle saw me and pulled in - in the second case as soon as as the second vehicle pulled to the right I flashed my headlights and it pulled in.

I think it's just a combination of lack of overtaking spaces and the car in front waiting so long to make an overtaking manoueuvre the driver forgets to check the rear view or side mirror. [/quote]

Its one of the easiest ways to get in an accident. I almost got killed by a landrover doing just that - never looked and nudged my arm as i overtook (i was on a motorbike). I did an advanced motorcycle course - the guy said most drivers NEVER look in their mirror before overtaking. So you should try making him aware your there - some people flash there lights (on my bike the lights are on anyway just incase!!). Jut be carefull - especially in a long que of traffic where people get mad and suddenly overtake in crazy places that only scooby owners can try!!

Jza
Old 20 April 2001, 01:36 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Markus,

Firstly glad you're all ok.....

Secondly, know excuse for there bad behaviour...

Thirdly, you may well have been in their blind spot, in which case they may not have seen you. Personally just before I pull out I take a quick glance over my shoulder.

JZA, quite possibly true, but it has to be said that bikers do have a tendancy to just appear from no where, and are particlaurly vulnerable to the blind spot.

Dave
Old 20 April 2001, 01:47 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Markus:
<B>As for repairs, well, I'm not going through insurance company, naughty I know, but I really cannot afford to lose 3 years NCB due to the claim, as it would mean I could not insure the beast next year. No doubt I'm going to get blacklisted by the insurance company for not telling them.[/quote]

Markus, there is nothing wrong with that. There is no rule which says you *have* to use your insurance company for a claim - even if someone is claiming against you!!! As long as you can afford to pay for the damage then it's usually better off in the long run to not claim. I've got 3 years NCB at the mo and I don't want to think about loosing the NCB and having to pay £2800 next year......

Glad you're OK I know it's not a nice way to find out but you'll give each car you overtake in future a much better look right - ultimately, making you safer.....

Matt
Old 20 April 2001, 03:34 PM
Nigel Bowles
Scooby Regular

Red face

Hey Markus,
Glad to here you are all ok, I assume this puts the link on hold for a while.
As for cars pulling out, I don't think they even concider how fast we are and are just looking to squeeze enough power to make their own overtake. I have my indicator on and make sure they have noticed first.

PS - Speed stripes went out years ago !!! Get it fixed or rust will start to take hold.

Yours
Nigel
Old 24 April 2001, 11:49 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

'Kin hell mate.

Glad you, Mrs.Markus & the dog are OK.

Hope you get the beast fixed soon.

Do you want to describe the car that caused the problems ??