Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Which is better - AVI or MPEG?

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2005, 08:31 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is better - AVI or MPEG?

Chaps

Quick question. Given I have a DV tape camera, I first produced a small movie using Windows Movie Maker. This worked fine, given I was using USB streaming, but of course the finished product had to be played on a PC. I then purchased a the suitable Firewire card and cable etc and am now connecting to the PC via this so I can download the raw movies to the PC. However, WMM only allows you to bring this in as an AVI file - albeit at a high frame and bit rate.

Another software package (Picture Package - comes with Sony camcorders) that came with the camcorder allows you to import this either as an MPEG or AVI? Is there any benefit going with either of these or will they be the same quality in different formats? Ultimately I am buying some DVD software so I can create DVD's from my footage but obviously need the best quality going in to get the best output? Any thoughts? Thanks

Andy
Old 10 September 2005, 09:46 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, the file extention doesn't really tell you much any more. An MPEG file could be MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, all totally different codecs and standards. Same goes for the AVI. If its an uncompressed AVI, the file size will be huge, but at no quality loss.

Try both, get a copy of GSpot and drag the files in to check the bitrates and frame sizes used to pick the best one.

If you're burning to DVD, you're possibly reducing the quality anyway (720x480), so it make a big difference at the moment.