Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless Router

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2005, 07:40 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless Router

I've just purchased a new Dell laptop with a centrino process, this means I can access the internet from anywhere in the house.

I have purchased a D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G Wireless Router to connect to my main P.C, however this then needs to connect via RJ45 cable up to my BT ADSL Voyager 105 modem, however the later does not have an RJ45 connection.

How am I supposed to connect this thing up, please help.... Do I have to invest in a better ADSL modem which has an RJ45 outlet?
Old 10 September 2005, 12:14 PM
BL
Scooby Regular

If the D Link router does not come with a inbuilt modem, then you will require a modem with an ethernet signal out.

Dlink do their own modems so may be worth looking into that.
Old 10 September 2005, 12:59 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

If you can, return the router and buy a broadband router (has the modem built in) Netgear stuff is very good.
If you can't then as above buy a modem with the correct output, it may cost more in the end though.
dipster
Old 10 September 2005, 02:37 PM
John1uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cyberevo
I've just purchased a new Dell laptop with a centrino process, this means I can access the internet from anywhere in the house.

I have purchased a D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G Wireless Router to connect to my main P.C, however this then needs to connect via RJ45 cable up to my BT ADSL Voyager 105 modem, however the later does not have an RJ45 connection.

How am I supposed to connect this thing up, please help.... Do I have to invest in a better ADSL modem which has an RJ45 outlet?
If your wireless router does not have a adsl/dsl/broadband modem built in then an easy opption is to connect your wires router RJ 45 cable to your network card on your pc. Then go to my network places and setup you connection from your bt modem to the wireless router via the network card. This is possible if you go to setup a home or small office network.

Regards John

PC Medic

www.pc-medic.net