Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Internet Probs

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2005, 02:56 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Internet Probs

My internet explorer opens fine, I can view any page I want BUT no new windows will open. I'm not able to have more than one window open at a time and if I click a link, it opens in the same window, causing me to lose what I was looking at and the only way to get back to the original page is to put the address back in as it won't let me use the back button. I have tried using file, new, window but that doesn't work. I've not changed any of my settings and i haven't got any pop up blockers enabled. It happened over night which is the strange thing. Any ideas on how to rectifythis? I'm on explorer 6, service pack 2. It was already loaded on computer when I got it.

Cheers
Old 09 September 2005, 03:01 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

change to firefox. problems solved
Old 09 September 2005, 03:25 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lisa,

Check under tools - internet options - advanced - browsing -
and make sure "reuse windows for launching shortcuts" is not checked.

I would also run a quick sweep of adaware to make sure you haven't picked up anything nasty

Rich
Old 09 September 2005, 05:07 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!

Thanks Rich! Still having problems though It looks like a new window is opening but for some reason it's immediately closing the old window instead of leaving it open. Any ideas what may be causing it?
Old 09 September 2005, 05:15 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds like more of an underlying problem. Is your anti-virus up-to-date and have you run a sweep of adaware?

Old 09 September 2005, 05:34 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by bigsinky

Thats what I thought after having got 3 words in...
Old 09 September 2005, 08:42 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
That sounds like more of an underlying problem. Is your anti-virus up-to-date and have you run a sweep of adaware?

Yeah. I've uninstalled my McAfee, scanned, still not working.
Old 10 September 2005, 02:59 PM
John1uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by red_dog104
My internet explorer opens fine, I can view any page I want BUT no new windows will open. I'm not able to have more than one window open at a time and if I click a link, it opens in the same window, causing me to lose what I was looking at and the only way to get back to the original page is to put the address back in as it won't let me use the back button. I have tried using file, new, window but that doesn't work. I've not changed any of my settings and i haven't got any pop up blockers enabled. It happened over night which is the strange thing. Any ideas on how to rectifythis? I'm on explorer 6, service pack 2. It was already loaded on computer when I got it.

Cheers
Two things you need to do first.

Firstly download spybot search and destroy for here http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/ click on the link.

secondly download microsoft spyware beta1 from here http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx click on download and follow what prompts say.

Once you have downloaded them please make sure you update these 2 programs before you run then, make sure after updating spybot, close the spybot program and then open it again.

Do NOT use adaware, this program is not at its best, any adware users will be shocked to see what spybot will find on there computer after running adaware then run spybot .

your problem seems to be spyware, once you have done the above and you find that there is still a problem, run the windows xp cd from rebooting and make sure the pc boots from cd-rom first. follow prompts till you get to .....press R for windows repair. make sure you save the files when asked to. this will then repair your registry and and explorer files.

Regards John

PC Medic

www.pc-medic.net

Last edited by John1uk; 11 September 2005 at 02:08 AM.
Old 10 September 2005, 04:44 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by John1uk

run the windows xp cd from rebooting and make sure the pc boots from cd-rom first. follow prompts till you get to .....pess R for windows repair. make sure you save the files when asked to. this will then repair your registry and and explorer files.
I've not got an xp cd. Everything is loaded on the computer already. The only thing I have is the disks to put everything back to it's original shop state and I don't fancy losing everything I have. It's not got a repair option. It's all or nothing!!! I already run spybot and I'm trying at the minute to get the beta1 thing from the link you put up but unfortunately it's not giving me the option to download it even though it has verified genuine microsoft product on my computer Nothing is ever simple!!!
Old 15 September 2005, 01:35 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
Noted and done Perfect

Thanks