Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Strange experience with a HP reseller + advice please!!

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2005, 08:24 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post IPaq hw6515 advice please + strange experience with a HP reseller!

Double topic.

I'm interested in a HP IPaq hw6515, so in my infinite wisdom, thought I'd call my local HP reseller for some advice on suitablity for the application I intend to use it for.

I'm looking at getting into "offline" audio files. Not going into too much detail from that aspect, but my PDA must do the usual PDA things + record audio (onto a SD card) and take pictures to compliment the audio.

I've got an IPod etc for recording the audio (+ £350K of recording kit!!), but want a single solution for it all.

Anyways, I found it rather amusing that HP are one of THE biggest IT providers in the world, and I had to explain the concept of "Podcasting" to their sales guy!!!
Afterwards, he said," well, I'll have to pass this onto somebody with a bit more expertise in this area."

"If we feel we can help you, we'll get back in touch!!!!" WTF!!!!!

All I wanted was some advice on their product range, and I got the impression that I was to feel grateful IF they called me back!!!

My workplace is totally HP native (apart from my area which is Apple), I told him this, and it didn't seem to even register!!!

As this is work related, I wanted to try one out for the application prior to purchase. I've always done this with all my pruchases - even Apple played ball
Any suggestions to whom I can contact?

Anybody got any experiences of this model? I know it's got a phone etc, which may be of some use, however, would welcome some real-world reviews/opinions.....

Anybody?

Dan

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 14 September 2005 at 09:25 PM.
Old 15 September 2005, 12:41 AM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Contact HP direct.

I'm guessing if you buy that much stuff, even through a reseller, you have an HP account manager?

Even so, speak to someone at HP and explain (if they haven't all been laid off :P )/.

HP don't like us atm as we were an HP only house until we needed machines for our new rollout, boss went with Dell instead for desktops, alppies and tfts.
Old 15 September 2005, 08:35 AM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Well I have a hw6515 and my main grievances are they lack of RAM in the unit. Even though you may close a program it doesn't actually close it and you have to go into 'task manager' and manually stop each program.

I can't suss how to download more than 1 extra ringtone as when you try it says there is insufficient memory.

Note that you only get to download 1 city map for the tomtom sat nav. If you should dare to need access to the entire UK or god forbid Europe you must pay!!

There is an update for the unit as well as it gets upset if you receive a call while using tomtom.

As for podcasting I have no idea

TONY
Old 15 September 2005, 12:27 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Lack of Ram - by "lack", what are the limitations? Are the programs huge or what?

Would you recommend it or are there any others to look at?

Dan
Old 15 September 2005, 02:15 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

If you fail to close the programs properly you can't even open for example the camera application!!!

As a PDA it is fine but as a phone it is bulky and limited. You can't copy and paste a phone number from the CLI and save it as a contact nor can you do a direct save. You also can't send or receive business cards.

There is also no WiFi on this model. I believe a hw6715 is due out in Q4 which will have WiFi.

On the whole I would say it is OK for what I use it for.

TONY