Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless router/modem recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2005, 02:27 PM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wireless router/modem recommendations?

I've seen other similar postings, but can anyone recommend a wireless router or wireless router/ADSL modem, which they know works well in a Victorian house?

There are at least a couple of thick walls to go through, so I'm looking for recommendations based on a similar environment.

I currently have a Netgear DG814 ADSL modem/router which hasn't given me any problems.
I'm open to getting an additional box or an all-in-one.

Have considered getting a MIMO router, but they're expensive. Ideally, I want to spend as little as possible.

I'll be using it for gaming, audio streaming, web access and maybe video streaming at some point.
Old 25 August 2005, 02:31 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Tried Dlink, US Robotics, now using Linksys and it is by far the best performing. It's the Speedbooster model and I am connecting through 1 Brick, 2 Stud and 1 Floor with 70% signal.
Old 25 August 2005, 03:22 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stay with what yknow works

I recommend the Netgear DG834G or GT models.
Old 26 August 2005, 11:25 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

I second the DG834G
Old 27 August 2005, 12:20 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Another vote for the DG834, I've used Dlink stuff before but found them pretty unreliable.
Old 27 August 2005, 01:30 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I've got a linksys (WRT54G) and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Terrible piece of hardware. Keeps dropping connections, loosing settings etc. Steer clear of that one...
Old 28 August 2005, 10:42 AM
BL
Scooby Regular

Im after a new router as well. Been looking at the new netgear range and cant decide between the fllowing:

Media Router 108
Dual 108
8 Channel MIMO

I currently have 2 laptops and 3 PCs on the wireless network who all have 54 mbs cards (which im not looking to upgrade).

I do however, get a lot of blackspots in coverage when i use my laptops.

Any recommendations as to which of the above 3 would be best for me.

The media 108 is just the std 108mbs router with a USB port so data can be stored and shared wirelessly

Thanks

Bob
Old 28 August 2005, 11:54 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
I've got a linksys (WRT54G) and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Terrible piece of hardware. Keeps dropping connections, loosing settings etc. Steer clear of that one...
Have the same one Iain, and I find it outstanding. What firmware are you running?
Old 28 August 2005, 12:22 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Have the same one Iain, and I find it outstanding. What firmware are you running?
I've also got the WRT54G and its absolutely fantastic. I cant remember the last time I rebooted it and coverage is very strong
Old 28 August 2005, 01:24 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djuk
I've also got the WRT54G and its absolutely fantastic. I cant remember the last time I rebooted it and coverage is very strong
I also have the WRT54G and have never had a problem with it

Old 29 August 2005, 01:25 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Dunno. I've just unplugged it and bought myself a DLink instead this afternoon. So far it seems to run quicker, and have a better range on the wireless.

I do know I updated the firmware on the Linksys to the latest and greatest and 2 months ago, and it made no difference to the reliability at all.
Old 29 August 2005, 02:10 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I have an original WRT54G and it's 100% great. Got 4 wireless devices running off it and 3 wired, and uplinked to another switch. Never misses a beat. Wireless range seems a lot better than my neighbour's dlink. I can see mine over the road at his but his here has very little signal. The only thing I can think of to improve would be to have more than 10 port forwarding rules.
Old 29 August 2005, 10:13 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Perhaps I just got a duff one then.

I also have a linksys 54g pcmcia card as well. Whenever I use it, the laptop blue screens. But when I use the dlink one it works fine.

My experience with linksys has been enough to put me off them for life. Also, their customer support is some of the worst I've ever experienced (and I'm used to dealing with NTL so that says something !!).
Old 30 August 2005, 05:27 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Not just me who finds choosing a router amazingly difficult then.

You read a few good reviews of one and think yeah I'll go for that one, then find a load more reviews saying it overheats, crashes, drops connections, randomly re-boots, etc. etc. I sometimes wonder if it's just people who don't know what they're doing or haven't installed the latest firmware etc. or whether particular hardware revisons of the particular router are the problem or perhaps there are a few unreliable ones in every thousand or so sold.

Old 30 August 2005, 05:50 PM
Fuchsrohre
Scooby Regular

Iain Young, I can sympathise - I'll never buy Linksys again either.
Old 01 September 2005, 01:38 PM
BL
Scooby Regular

Has anyone used a Zyxel router?

Also does anyone know which routers support both cable and ADSL
Old 01 September 2005, 02:29 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Graz
Not just me who finds choosing a router amazingly difficult then.

You read a few good reviews of one and think yeah I'll go for that one, then find a load more reviews saying it overheats, crashes, drops connections, randomly re-boots, etc. etc. I sometimes wonder if it's just people who don't know what they're doing or haven't installed the latest firmware etc. or whether particular hardware revisons of the particular router are the problem or perhaps there are a few unreliable ones in every thousand or so sold.

Yep. 90% of the time its a dodgy firmware.
Old 01 September 2005, 04:19 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Hold on to your hats here, but PC WORLD(!) have an offer for the DG834GT at the moment - complete with a USB connector for £90!

Quite a few of the guys here have them (IT department) so it looks a good bet (just got it myself)
Old 04 October 2005, 09:29 AM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Hold on to your hats here, but PC WORLD(!) have an offer for the DG834GT at the moment - complete with a USB connector for £90!

Quite a few of the guys here have them (IT department) so it looks a good bet (just got it myself)
PLEASE save yourself some time - DON'T buy the DG834GT. I bought one from PCW and now regret it. The range and signal strength were good, but it kept running my CPU up to 100% and locking my PC. I updated all the drivers, firmware, etc., and even flashed the BIOS on my PC, but it didn't sure the problem. I spent hours investigating...

I phoned Netgear support and after going through all the things I'd already told them I'd tried, they could only suggest that I return it for a refund or exchange (which I did last night).
They couldn't even tell me if they were aware of a problem with it. This is despite the fact that there are numerous reports of the issue on their user forum (http://forum1.netgear.com/support/) - just do a search, e.g. for the accompanying USB adapter...WG111T.

REALLY DISAPPOINTING.

Can anyone recommend a wifi product which DOES work properly?
Old 04 October 2005, 09:35 AM
BL
Scooby Regular

Hi i recently went for the Belkin Pre N Mimo. It truelly is awsome. Works a treat. I would definitely recommend. It is however more expenive than others but after lone research and all the good reviews i decided to go for it. I baught the router/PCi adapter package from ebuyer for £84. the pci adapter can also be used for a laptop as well.
Old 04 October 2005, 09:39 AM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BL
Hi i recently went for the Belkin Pre N Mimo. It truelly is awsome. Works a treat. I would definitely recommend. It is however more expenive than others but after lone research and all the good reviews i decided to go for it. I baught the router/PCi adapter package from ebuyer for £84. the pci adapter can also be used for a laptop as well.
Thanks, I did look at that one before going for the Netgear. Only problem is that they don't do a USB adapter for it and my Shuttle SN95G5 doesn't have a spare PCI slot.
Old 04 October 2005, 09:51 AM
BL
Scooby Regular

Yeap your right as i too needed one for my shuttle. So after speaking to a techie, i was told to get the Belkin 125g USB stick. Works a treat for only £25. Although it doesnt have MIMO facility, i am still connecting at 108g. So i would recommend that.

Ebuyer doesnt sell the new 125G one so i decided to get it from Argos to see if it worked first and as it waas cheap just decided to keep it.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/6768023.htm
Old 04 October 2005, 10:03 AM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Smile

Always good to meet another Shuttle owner!

Thanks for the info. Ideally, I want a wifi router/ADSL modem combo to makes things easier (and less cluttered).

Now it sounds like I'm being picky.