Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Any recommendations for a PCI DVB-T card?

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2005, 06:04 PM
MickeyM
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any recommendations for a PCI DVB-T card?

Hi,

I am after some advice. I am looking for a DVB-T card for my PC, and have been confused by the huge range etc...

Can anyone recommend a good card? Ideally I am looking for the following features:

DVB-T Decoding
Easy to use software to record and write to DVD-R/CDR
Possibly to have an Analogue TV input too (To copy vide tapes onto DVD - the wife wants this for the wedding video!!)
Ideally, have an output which can be connected to our digital TV (Scart/RGB, S-VIDEO etc..)
Nicam stereo (better if possible)
Digital teletext

Any advice of a great setup/combination would be appreciated.

Mike
Old 01 August 2005, 06:07 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Youll probably need two seperate cards to do all of that. A Hauppauge WinTV Nova will be able to handle everything except capturing analogue video. Because DVB uses MPEG2 compression the Nova and other DVB TV cards dont have/need hardware MPEG2 compression; they simply write the data to disk on the fly. In order to capture analogue video (properly) you will need a card which incorporates hardware encoding, the cheapest Hauppauge card Im aware of is the WinTV PVR 150 at about £50; the Nova costs between £60 and £80 depending where you buy.

Simon
Old 01 August 2005, 08:24 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was looking for media centre, the hauppage cards and the black gold cards seemed the most popular.

David
Old 01 August 2005, 09:30 PM
MickeyM
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the advice - I was looking at the Hauppage - but when you search for reviews they seem to get bad press. David - are you using one OK? I guess it could just be a few discruntled kids on the review pages.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01 August 2005, 09:58 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

I'm currently building a (test) media centre PC.

I haven't decided on my TV card yet put I'm tempted by this nebula card. It's expensive compared to the others (you can get 2 blackgold cards for that price) but it does have video-in.

But the TV viewing and recording software is supposed to be the best there is bar none. This is why I'll probably go for it (and it has Antenna pass through)

However, I'm probably going to run Media Portal - free software that is basically like Microsoft's MCE.

But it seems the nebula card might take a bit more effort in the setup for this.
Old 02 August 2005, 11:25 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im running a pvr500mce I like it. Does everything I need.

Just wish I could have a DVB-T card as well as the pvr500 and have MCE support it.

David
Old 02 August 2005, 11:37 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

i am running a skystar 1 card with progdvb atm. using plugins for the 1.5m dish on a H2H-120 mount. works a treat. using plugins now for most encryptions as gold cards are just not fast enough now.
Old 07 August 2005, 10:26 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MickeyM
Thanks for the advice - I was looking at the Hauppage - but when you search for reviews they seem to get bad press. David - are you using one OK? I guess it could just be a few discruntled kids on the review pages.

Cheers,

Mike
The cards are excellent; its the software thats ****e.

Simon