Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

[Apple] Mac OS X 10.4.1 due soon

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2005, 08:13 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Apple] Mac OS X 10.4.1 due soon

Thinksecret is reporting that there is a new build of 10.4.1 being seeded to developers (*cough, could not possibly comment on that *cough*) and there seems to remain only one outstanding issue in the latest build, so 10.4.1 should be released fairly soon.
Old 12 May 2005, 08:27 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

That's a nasty cough, could be NDA-itus...
Old 12 May 2005, 08:51 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

pmsl, you could be right there
Old 12 May 2005, 08:51 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Marcus, any idea if the next release will index all drives and have them searchable in one go and is the search history that Steve Jobs showed off going to be in the new version?

:-)

Mike
Old 12 May 2005, 09:03 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I couldn't possibly comment on any of this

But from what I've read on the internet, it would appear that 10.4.1 isn't going to change spotlight with regards to it searching network drives,which is what I assume you mean by indexing all drives and having them searchable in one go.

Not too sure what you mean with regards to the search history.
Old 12 May 2005, 10:32 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Sod the search, just make sure things work first.

Like Decent Network / Appletalk / Applescript / Finder stuff

Last edited by jowl; 12 May 2005 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12 May 2005, 11:14 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Well, there's a certain music package that won't install under Tiger. 99.9% certain it's an OS issue. Called the software distributer (music no Mac!), and they said "ahh we'll let the software house know. They might have a look at it" (!)

Nice feedback eh?

Just ordered 10 Mac Minis with TFT - all ship with Tiger. To install the package, I've got to revert back to 10.3.9! Then put on Tiger

Ahh. The joys of new OS. Haven't had this much fun since 10.1...... what a pile 'o sh1te that was (for music software anyway!)

Dan
Old 12 May 2005, 11:53 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

What's the app and the problem Dan?

Appletalk? Perchance are you referring to the inability of 10.4 being able to connect using AFP over AppleTalk to pre OS X machines?

To be honest, it does not suprise me that Apple decided to close off AFP over AppleTalk, We've done the same for quite a while in our software products, the main reason being that the public API's for AppleTalk are, well, let's say they are trailing behind the private API's that Apple internally uses.

I can't understand why, in this day and age, anyone would have a pre OS X machine acting as a "server" anyway, let alone using a version of the OS that does not have in-built support for AFP over IP.
Old 13 May 2005, 08:53 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus

Appletalk? Perchance are you referring to the inability of 10.4 being able to connect using AFP over AppleTalk to pre OS X machines?
Yes, I am!

To be honest, that bit isn't a major problem. We mainly work in primary schools and have Windows-based fileservers, using Applescript to 'map' network drives in the desktop.

But in my experience of installing Tiger on 15 machines, I found that the there are quite often freezes and crashes of the desktop. Also, Applescripts including network operations work in a different way to to 10.3.9 etc.

From reading the various forums, it's seems Tiger has broken a LOT of software, especially network related stuff.
Old 13 May 2005, 03:15 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

ooh, you don't use any particular desktop security package on your macs do you?

Can you give an example of a network operation that works differently in Tiger than in Pre Tiger? Not being sarcastic, just I've not encountered any issues, and I've been playing around with applescript and "do shell script" commands, specifically relating to using the "mount_afp" call.

When it comes to network related stuff, yeah, does seem that some things are effected by it, thankfully not AFP though. Having said that, we're not reliant on Apple's public AFP API's, we learned very quickly that they were nowhere near as complete as the private API's, which made our job a lot harder, so we wrote our own AFP framework, which is fully AFP 3 (and 2) compliant, works like a dream :-)

Things like AdmitMac and DAVE are cripiled in Tiger and the ship dates for compatible versions are months away, not good! We're hoping to ship very soon, we're just testing against *cough* 10.4.1 *cough* (must get that seen to ) to make sure that it doesn't break anything, and once we're happy, we'll have a release.

The annoying thing is that we had to wait until Apple decided to put Tiger GM on ADC before we could test against final code, even though the GM had been around for at least a week, it was shipped a week early to some people who had pre-ordered, so that means, from a production viewpoint, it had to have been around for at least a few days, if not a week before that. Thus it had been in GM format for nearly two weeks, that would have meant 2 weeks that we could have spent testing against GM.
Old 13 May 2005, 03:24 PM
05WRX
Scooby Regular

I've had problems with tiger and Dave and MS Media Player. I just decided to remove Dave and use the SMB services that comes with Tiger. Now that it supports Windows Print Server functionality... I don't need Dave anymore! But MS Media Player just refuses to work with it! Otherwise everything else is peachy. Virtual PC was a bit of a barsteward though too.. but that's mainly because of the different UNIX permissions that Tiger uses.
Old 13 May 2005, 04:11 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

DAVE, interesting product that, especially since OS X has inbuilt SMB support. I remember looking into exactly how it worked and it's, well, "interesting" is the best way of putting it.

VPC - yeah, a few known issues, one of them being that the virtual switch thing is broken.

It does seem as though Tiger has taken a lot of developers by suprise and they've not had products ready to go, which is somewhat odd really.
Old 13 May 2005, 04:15 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Can you give an example of a network operation that works differently in Tiger than in Pre Tiger?

Things like AdmitMac and DAVE are cripiled in Tiger and the ship dates for compatible versions are months away, not good! We're hoping to ship very soon, we're just testing against *cough* 10.4.1 *cough* (must get that seen to ) to make sure that it doesn't break anything, and once we're happy, we'll have a release.
It was those such programs (and some anti-virus stuff) that I was reading about.

Let me stress, the stuff we do is VERY basic buit it simplifies the life of teachers and pupils quite a lot.

So when a new OS comes along and something that seems pretty simple won't work, it's annoying!

Tiger does have lots of good features - but I think there are many bugs that need ironing out from what I've read (and experienced to a small degree)
Old 13 May 2005, 04:18 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

**** me release some software then patch it straight-away getting as bad as M$, probably because they shortened the release cycle with this release did they not? Very poor IMHO smacks of very poor QA.

Gary
Old 13 May 2005, 05:39 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Well, we thought the rumors suggesting a late April release we a bit iffy, as we had assumed it'd be released in June at WWDC.

At least they are being proactive in fixing things, which is a good sign.
Old 13 May 2005, 07:23 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Sorry Markus - been a bit busy!!!

The package was Steinberg's Cubase (it's an awful package anyway! I use Logic but we need to use both at work )

Dan
Old 13 May 2005, 07:44 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

So far everything has been hunky dory over here, except for one minor thing. It seems that my drafts box in Mail may be foobared. They constantly show a figure of 5 which is wrong as there are no messages there. They won't disappear either.

It might not be down to OSX and could be something to do with my IMAP server but I can't get the time to check.

I'll hang on till 10.4.1 before I do anything about it though. Overall its all been smooth on the G5 and the PowerBook, but then I do only use the mainstream apps that will certainly have been QA'd Photoshop, Final Cut, Motion, Transmit, Flash and Illustrator all work perfectly. Saying that though I do have a shareware HTML editor called SKedit which seems to have been slightly flaky but nothing major, oh and Firefox is slower (1.03).

Loving Spotlight though, amazing stuff.
Old 14 May 2005, 12:29 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Can anyone suggest a good piece of software to synch up my g5 and laptop apart from iSynch.
I tend to use both and it would be nice if each evening the two exchanged files...

Apologies for the thread hijack

Rich
Old 14 May 2005, 06:20 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Chronosync is what you need.
Old 15 May 2005, 07:46 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Hmm, found something that Tiger has screwed up - rendering video in Final Cut to Real Player gives an out of sync picture with the audio. Ha. They did it deliberately so we all switch over to the Quick Time 7?