Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

LCD TV?

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2005, 07:15 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question LCD TV?

Hi

We have a TV in our bedroom that's linked to our CCTV system via coax into a digital modulator. The image is in reasonable quality colour & is usually left on quad display (4 picutres on the screen). The TV is left constantly on standby & is old & big. We don't watch TV in bed - this is just used to review the CCTV if our proximity alarm goes off.

I'd like to get an LCD screen to do this, which should be cheaper to run & take up a lot less space. We would need a remote control.

Should I get an LCD TV to do this, or is there some way to get a coax feed into VGA? My wife has a 15" Iiyama Prolite H380 which isn't very good & I'd like to get her something better. It's got a D-Sub & DVI input. Could we use this, with something like the Acer AX120?

Acer AX120:
http://www.misco.co.uk/productinform...~WW~/index.htm

Iiyama H380:
http://www.iiyama.co.uk/default.asp?...=236&PROD=2274

Regards
Nick
Old 10 April 2005, 08:22 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Pro-V will do RF to VGA for about £85. Combine the RF from the CCTV with a UHF antenna feed and you functionally have an LCD TV too.

http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/bigcodesearch.pl?PV200
Old 10 April 2005, 10:01 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Thanks for your reply

I'll check out the Zinwell unit. I'm not sure that it gives us much more than the Acer unit - which is a fair bit cheaper. However the Zinwell unit looks interesting for a customer's issue.
Old 10 April 2005, 10:38 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick
Thanks for your reply

I'll check out the Zinwell unit. I'm not sure that it gives us much more than the Acer unit - which is a fair bit cheaper. However the Zinwell unit looks interesting for a customer's issue.
Nick,

The Acer unit is a USB based video capture board for getting video into a PC for editing etc. It doesn't add those inputs to a standalone LCD panel. From your post I read that you are looking simply to get the CCTV RF feed into an LCD panel and you are wondering whether you need to buy a panel with "TV" functionality to do this, or if you can use a "PC spec." screen which typically doesn't have the extra inputs like RF, composite etc.

HTH,
Alex
Old 11 April 2005, 07:49 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Hi Alex

You are correct in your last post. I wasn't aware that the Acer unit is USB & in fact - I (gulp) ordered one last night!

Here's the list of interfaces & features from the Ingram Micro site:
1 x TV antenna - input ¦ 1 x display / video - composite video input - RCA ¦ 1 x display / video - S-video input ¦ 1 x display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ¦ 1 x audio - line-out - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm
Operates even without a PC; Up to 1024 x 768 pixel resolution; Simple Plug and Play; Convenient Remote Control.

As far as I can tell, it looks as though it does what I want... I'm a bit worried now about the USB thing though...

Regards
Nick
Old 11 April 2005, 08:19 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick
As far as I can tell, it looks as though it does what I want... I'm a bit worried now about the USB thing though...

Regards
Nick
Nick,

My bad... no need to worry. I've just read the user product reviews on eBuyer and it does do exactly what you want. The USB capture feature is a bonus, I think you've found a bargain.
Old 11 April 2005, 09:05 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Hi Alex

Thanks for the review link. I'm not sure I understand the USB capture thing - but I'll probably figure it out when I have the unit in my hands.

Regards
Nick

Last edited by Nick; 11 April 2005 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12 April 2005, 02:11 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Feedback to the forum

I've set up the Acer box & it's easy to use & has a very good quality picture. It does just what I wanted - view TV pics on an LCD screen. There are multi inputs, so you can switch inputs using the remote - just like a regular TV.

Regards
Nick