Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Doom 3 - Rubbish?

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2004, 01:10 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doom 3 - Rubbish?

Ok, perhaps thats a little harsh, the graphics are fantastic but i've been playing it for about 6 hours in total now and all I seem to be doing is running around similar looking dark coridors waiting for things to jump out at me.

The storyline is week and I just cant help feeling i'll be running around for another 20hours until I complete it doing exactly the same, they should have just made one map and let us run around that 20 times for an hour each!

Anyone else getting bored with it, I dont know if I can bring myself to play anymore!

And 4 player Deathmatch, whats that all about, we had more than 4 players in Quake 1!
Old 06 August 2004, 01:36 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agree
Old 06 August 2004, 01:40 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Mmm. Really? I thought the opening level was very good, but then I gave up as my PC isn't really up to it.

But I'll be extremely. disapointed if that is all there is to it. Running through dark corridors.... no cool weapons or impressive areas or good monsters?

Steve
Old 06 August 2004, 01:47 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

sure there are some nice areas but that just isnt enough, and there are some cool monsters but they're all just thrown at you in waves, you KNOW when things are gonna be there cos you come round a corner and there is armour and a load of clips in a big pile, so you go clunk-kerchic-crack-woooom, as you collect them all and guess what, big scary monster around the next corner!

no imagination at all!
Old 06 August 2004, 01:49 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

I've got to say I'm really enjoying Doom3.

It's extremely atmospheric, the graphics are impressive. The use of audio to build up tension & fear if great

I can see how some people find the game repetitive – personally I don’t.

Multiplayer – not done that yet – working on a 16 player server at the moment. The whole MP experience is not about running about blowing stuff up – it’s about being sneaky, hiding in shadows and scaring the cr*p out of other players.

Doom3 is essentially a “working demo” for ID’s new engine. If you really want the multiplayer side, wait for the MOD’s to be released and Quake4
Old 06 August 2004, 01:53 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Its ok bordering on been pap..

oh let's see - same plot as the original half life or what !!

sound comes and goes, too much noise going on half of the time..

I will persist though

p.s. runs like a dog @ 800*600 on Athlon XP 3200+ with ATI 9800 PRO (256mb) but I've just been given a load of tweaks to try
Old 06 August 2004, 01:54 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

oh.. and it's a bit unrealistic to have a barrel blow up when you punch it once, likewise I punched one of the friendlies and his head came off !

Bit I do like is when you shoot one of the baddies and their brain drops out of their skull LOL
Old 06 August 2004, 01:56 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Really that bad ? Or have we just waited too long for it and so built our expectations too high ?

Quite often I'll buy a game\film that I've REALLY been looking forward to, and then feel quite disappointed. Conversely, I've bought games\films etc that I either suspected would be average or not heard of at all - and they've been great !!!

Bit of a bummer though, best carry on waiting for STALKERS

Matt
Old 06 August 2004, 02:03 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Aren't all FPS's like this though? No matter how you dress it up, it's just a linear procession thru pre-determined levels shooting things.

Sorry guys, that's just how it is. You get a bit of variety on scenarios (WW2 games, fantasy, futurstic etc.) but they are all essentially the same thing. Even when they throw in puzzles, or allow you to wander anywhere in the level, you cannot get away from the fact that you start at point A (physically, and in the context of the storyline) and end up at point b, shooting ****loads of stuff as go.

Doom 3 may be poorly executed, but the basic premis is unavoidable.

Geezer
Old 06 August 2004, 02:08 PM
Dr Nick
Scooby Regular

I don't have it yet.

But I am going to get it and am trying to keep my expectations realistic.

I am expecting a similar scenario as when the new Star Wars film came out. You know it can't be as good as you remember the old ones but you hope.....

As you get older your expectations and values change too....
Old 06 August 2004, 03:53 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

I've not played Doom3 yet, but got to admit having the same "whats all the fuss about" feeling when I first played Halo on XB.

However, now, a good 2 years later, (is it 2 yrs?) I'm still enjoying playing Halo, so I'm hoping Doom3 will offer the same longevity, Bit like a good red wine...

Dont believe / get wrapped up in the hype and you'll probably enjoy it more.

Got to add though, that I didnt have very high hopes for Doom3....however Half Life 2 - now thats a different story !

Neil
Old 06 August 2004, 04:16 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Doom3 is fantastic, and lives up to the hype! Well worth purchasing.
Old 06 August 2004, 04:21 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

remember Doom3 Isn't just Doom3

Think of all the mods there are for Half-Life. . . . . .
Old 06 August 2004, 05:20 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I never go for hype, Half Life was so good as it took the genre forward with gripping storylines, tension and good graphics (for then)..
Old 06 August 2004, 06:00 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Doom3 is little more than a tech demo sadly.
4 player deathmatch is taking the p1ss as well!
Save your pennies for what is sure to be a ground breaking game, Half-Life 2
Old 06 August 2004, 08:34 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Surely that's the point? Doom was a mindless blaster, and so was Doom2 - why should Three be any different? I for one LIKE mindless shooters - Painkiller was a hoot. I get fed up with things like Far Cry where you spend half your time sneaking about trying to remember what comes next in the mission. Sod that - just get out there and kill something...

M
Old 07 August 2004, 05:17 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Christian

You have too much spare time if you can play crap like this

Doom3 - Yawnfest.......................................... ......
Old 07 August 2004, 08:55 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

I'd be able to tell you what it was like to play btu it's so feckin dark there's no point

I really didn't like it, over hyped imho.
Old 07 August 2004, 09:01 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

agree, way too dark - no fun in it for me at the moment.. will try and finish it before I get too bored..
Old 07 August 2004, 10:17 PM
scoob north
Scooby Regular

agree doom 3 is pap been playing today graphics are best ive seen omg the game is boring as **** same old same on every level

well over hyped

role on half life too
Old 07 August 2004, 11:44 PM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Yes, it's crap.

Even with the "gaffer tape" mod that give's you a light on your shotgun/machine gun it's still a crapfest of the highest most boring order...

I've even resorted to getting all the GOD mode cheats etc. to try all the weapons and to run through some levels to see if it improves... but it doesn't seem to

To enable cheats press CTRL+ALT+¬ keys to bring down console, then type god (obvious what it does) and give all - and see how crap the BFG is It was a great gun in Doom2.
Old 08 August 2004, 09:16 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fangoria
Christian

You have too much spare time if you can play crap like this

Doom3 - Yawnfest.......................................... ......
I'm a huge Doom fan, and I really like it. Perhaps it just isn't the game for you.

Some people like Quake, UT, each to their own! Personally I hated UT, up until UT 2004 which I really enjoyed. Quake I never really liked, apart from Quake 3 Arena.
Old 08 August 2004, 02:46 PM
s-man
Scooby Regular

Only just started playing it myself but already have misgivings along the same lines as some on this thread have already stated. Thing you have to remember tho is that its all about the engine and the games that will come along shortly making use of it will no doubt be better & more story driven. The thing is it probably does raise the bar graphically in terms of lighting etc and I mean its quite a feat that the game still looks as good as it does played at 640x480. When alls said and done tho its 20 hours plus of too dark, samey levels and scripted 'scary' moments and most people feel a little underwhelmed by the end it would seem. I think there is definitely an over reliance on pitch black and scripted jump outey moments which some say makes it atmospheric but it's definitely not that compelling a storyline thats for sure. Just my 2p...and I'm still gonna play it through
Old 09 August 2004, 08:53 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Yup, must agree, as a long time 'elderly' gamer and ID fan, I must admit Doom 3 is a wee bit pap. OK, perhaps I'm getting old but my recent trip wandering the dark streets of Rome camera in hand was more exciting than this recycled shi*e. OK, I'm now a sad old fart, but soz after playing every fps out for the past decade this old scripted 'jump out and shoot me please' crap just doesnt cut it any more :/

Pass the spliff and get me slippers then lol

Last edited by Jye; 09 August 2004 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10 August 2004, 03:10 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

perhaps thats why id (the Doom3 developers) are moving away from that genre for their next game.

imagine working on the same thing (essentially) for the last 10 years - boring or what ?