Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PC keeps Rebooting

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2004, 03:48 PM
ScottyScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PC keeps Rebooting

Started up my PC this morning, it came up with the screen start in safe mode, normal etc, I chose normal it then went onto the windows splash screen , for a split second i saw the Blue screen of death then it just rebooted. Next time I chose run in safe mode, it ran through the post then the exactly same thing happened. I thought it may be the temp, so i went into the bios, temp was at 38, i put the fan on full but still no joy. I also tried boot in last know good windows exactly the same thing

Im running XP pro, Athlon 2400 thoroughbred , 512 DDR,

I dont think its the ram as its counting up fine on boot up

Any Ideas or will i just have to Format
Old 21 July 2004, 04:20 PM
ChrisB

Could be a corrupt registry hive. Can you read anything on the BSOD?
Old 21 July 2004, 04:25 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

could be loads of stuff eg. some hardware/software you've recently installed ?

if you can't be arsed poking around just do a windowsXP repair...

eg. boot from winXP CD-Rom, don't press anything at all, until you're prompted to press f8 to agree to the licence. Then immediately after that, choose "repair" existing installation (DON'T USE ANY OF THE REPAIR OPTIONS PRIOR TO THIS STAGE)

Doing it this way will "hopefully" solve your problem AND mean you won't have to reinstall everything again.
Old 21 July 2004, 06:56 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, turn off autoreboot so you can read the BSOD. "IRQ_NOT_LESS etc" is a RAM error, usually caused by it running out of spec. Others can be due to any number of things.

I'm assuming that you are NOT overclocking BTW.

Go into BIOS and try less agressive RAM settings (from "fast" down to "normal" for instance, or even "failsafe"). If that fails, try upping the CPU voltage one notch. Don't worry about heat - the difference is tiny.

Is the message always the same? Random? It makes a difference in diagnosis. Have you loaded anything recently? Upgraded any driver or the BIOS? Changed any BIOS settings?

M
Old 21 July 2004, 09:31 PM
ScottyScoob
Scooby Regular

No im not Overclocking as its a shuttle and as the air flow in the shuttle is not that good i want to keep the Temp to a minimum

Also no driver or hardware changes latley and when i see the blue screen it just flashes up so i cant see what it says before it reboots

All i have done to the BIOS is put a BIOS password on

When i get home tonght im going to try an XP repair to see if that works, if not im going to try a Format and if that doesnt work errrrrrrrm i`m stuck
Old 21 July 2004, 10:26 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the default 200W PSU? If so, you might want to think about the 250W PSU upgrade you can buy.

M
Old 22 July 2004, 01:17 PM
Ken S55
Scooby Regular

I've had this problem before and it can be caused by a corrupted boot file or partition. Have had to delete the existing partition and create a new one using the hard disk manufacturers utilities, as depending on how bad it is xp won't do it. Then rebuild from scratch.
Old 22 July 2004, 01:29 PM
prana
Scooby Regular

reboot the machine in safemode if you are able to.
Open up DrWtsn32 and look at the two crash file locations. Post up the processes incolved in the last crash dump so that we can have a look at it, including the type of crash.

Also, go to your security settings and audit policy > enable Systems events auditing. Reboot your machine as normal (no safe mode), then check your eventvwr logs for system messages.

We can get a better idea then, hopefully.

Last edited by prana; 22 July 2004 at 01:32 PM.
Old 22 July 2004, 03:05 PM
ScottyScoob
Scooby Regular

Well guys I tried a few things last night to no anvil so in the end i did a full format and reinstalled winblows , spent the next 1hr or so reinstalling apps etc,

Luckily i have a separate 120gb drive (windows on seperate 40gb) where most of my data is kept so thankfully i kept all that

Thanks guys for all youre help and advise

Scottyscoob
Old 23 July 2004, 04:52 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

one of the viruses from a few months ago had these symptons, cant remeber which one. You did have antivirus running didnt you.....?