Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

How do I link my website to search engines?

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2004, 08:27 PM
Black Kat
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I link my website to search engines?

Being a complete numtie when it comes to computer stuff on any in depth scale, I need some help with finishing off my website.

I have spent rather a long time building a website (with my idiots guide) in one hand, and my computer in the other, but I seem to be at a loss despite checking out various website that are designed to do linking, as to how to get mine into a serious search engine...

I want it to search under what it is I am offer (it's jewellery) but my website is actually in my name rather than what I am selling?

Can anyone help with this please just point me in the right direction and I can try and sort it out.

Thanks
P
Old 08 July 2004, 11:28 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's one simple free method, using meta tags to advertise your site.

When Yahoo was new they had a 'submit my site URL' link
Old 09 July 2004, 10:15 AM
Black Kat
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by stevencotton
Here's one simple free method, using meta tags to advertise your site.

When Yahoo was new they had a 'submit my site URL' link
Thanks for that Steve I will try it
P
Old 09 July 2004, 10:35 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

meta tags are a good start. Its also useful to have links to other sites and try and get them to link to you too. Also consider variations of your domain with a hypens that get recognised by the search engines so if you have www.qualityjewellery.com consider registering www.quality-jewellery.com. Also create 'doorway' pages that link to your main site and name these according to which keywords you think people will use so have bracelet.html ring.html you get the idea and these just redirect to your main page. Forget all these submission wizards they rarely work and you end up getting added to a million and 1 directories which are no use at all. Other than that consider paying someone to do it for you, toppile.co.uk do manual submissions and its very cheap considering what they do.

Good luck

Gary
Old 09 July 2004, 12:50 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

I hate to tell you but google web-bot ignores meta tags, just to make things difficult
Old 21 May 2006, 03:53 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Any more tips. I have a site i'd like to promote.
Old 21 May 2006, 06:15 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

http://www.google.com/addurl/

Make sure the site is well written and try to use your keywords often but in sensible sentences. Make sure pages have title tags, images have alt tags and link have title tags, try and avoid image based nav.

I managed to get a client of mines jewellers on page1 of Google for the word 'Jewellers' which I was proud off, it's done a death slide now though... lol
Old 21 May 2006, 11:57 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
I hate to tell you but google web-bot ignores meta tags, just to make things difficult
It doesnt ignore them, it just doesnt influence the page rank as much. Other sites linking to you is the key with google.
Old 22 May 2006, 06:53 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by RichB
http://www.google.com/addurl/

Make sure the site is well written and try to use your keywords often but in sensible sentences. Make sure pages have title tags, images have alt tags and link have title tags, try and avoid image based nav.

I managed to get a client of mines jewellers on page1 of Google for the word 'Jewellers' which I was proud off, it's done a death slide now though... lol
When you say page tags do you mean instead of naming a page "page 1" "page2" etc name them (for eg) BMW M3 1 and BMW M3 2.

The second thing is my url has no resemblence to the site comntent at all,is that a disadvantage?