Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Which PDA OS? Symbian, Palm, or Pocket PC?

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2004, 03:10 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Which PDA OS? Symbian, Palm, or Pocket PC?

What do you reckon?

I used to have a Psion 3a, absolutely loved it. Then got my Nokia 9110 (GeoWorks ???), hated it, really badly thought out. Now I see the Sony P900 has Symbian, the Nokia 9500 has Symbian, the Treo 600 has Palm, and the XDA and the new HP "I-paq" thing due out have Pocket PC. (Isn't Symbian a congolomeration that includes Psion?)

I want a damn good organiser, possibly (but I doubt it) GPS capability if it's easy, and text docs. Doubt I'll browse internet (I'm never mobile and it would cost me too much) though email could be handy. I spend all day every day behind a PC at my desk and have one at home. A colleague reckons the Microsoft stuff is too heavy for your average processor. I'm leaning towards the P900 as it's smaller, and I've read good stuff here.

Oh yeah, I'll pay out of my own pocket and keep it for 3-4 years, so updatable please...

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Brendan Hughes; 16 March 2004 at 03:11 PM.
Old 16 March 2004, 03:36 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you were looking for a proper internet experience, would buy an XDA2 with pocket PC and full internet explorer and outlook.

Symbian is excellent but is built for purpose e.g. small phone screens.

Also do a search for 3G phones, some new ones have pocket PC2003 and can be pre-ordered at the moment with 384kb/s bandwidth.
Old 16 March 2004, 03:45 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Hmm - I use the sharp SL-5500 - cos it runs unix and I can samba to PCs, wireless support, IRdA etc.....

Don't think I'd recommend it to a non-unixer though, as I'm not sure its powerful enough for 'desktop' type apps.....

Mark
Old 16 March 2004, 04:02 PM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

I have just got iPAQ with TomTom navigator and it is the doggies mate.

Cant recommend it highly enough!
Old 16 March 2004, 08:27 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Ipaq, Blutooth GPS and CF Phone Card gives me everything I need. I also have a P800 but prefer the ipaq as the screen is much better size wise.
Old 17 March 2004, 09:44 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

I would recommend a Sony TJ-37 for your needs. You could get a TJ-35 - which is slightly cheaper but without wireless capability or camera. IMHO PalmOS is the easiest and most friendly handheld OS you can use (and I have used Psions and PocketPC in the past). For a desktop PC it's great having the best, most flexible and weird and wonderful stuff to play with. But when it's a handheld you want something that is quick, easy and doesn't crash.
Old 17 March 2004, 10:54 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Some interesting comments, thanks. I forgot to write at the top, though I hope the selection of models I gave illustrated the point - it should be a phone, too! Which I think knocks out that TJ-37. But you're right James; quick, easy and doesn't crash. And I'd like someone who's thought carefully about the features I'll use regularly, rather than someone who's compromised them in order to get compatability with another 10 software packages.

When I said GPS I meant just that, locator - not necessarily a navigator. The only Navigator CDs I've seen of Portugal don't list my home street, so I've no interest in buying one yet! They're very badly developed compared to those in N. Europe.
Old 17 March 2004, 07:24 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i have xda2...superb and runs apps that other OS wouldnt.

also a proper size screen.....its basicaly and ipaq with a phone.