Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Shuttle Pc's

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2003, 07:30 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
Has anyone got one of these units? I've seen them for sale on Scan.co.uk but not to sure how they perform etc. Anyone have any compatibility issues with any aspects of their use?

Cheers
FF
Old 17 December 2003, 08:43 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

FF, i was looking at these, but to be honest i ended up with a midi tower case instead, for upgrading etc...

but, if you just want a neat loking all in one box, i dont think you can go far wrong.
they do look nice.

BB
Old 17 December 2003, 08:51 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

built one for the misses.

Bloody brilliant imho. Only fault i had was the Onboard LAN. Didnt want to work at all. appart from that brilliant

si
Old 17 December 2003, 09:48 PM
towzer
Scooby Regular

My SS51G is reasonably good although it doesn't like suspend/resume or hibernate.

I have had a few problems with games, but that could be the ATI 9700 card. Medal of honour and C&C Generals always seems to be a bit touch and go as to whether it will launch or not.

Maybe I need to update the bios.

Phil
Old 17 December 2003, 10:33 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

I've recently moved to a SN45 Shuttle and am pretty happy.
Very nice, and easy to install if you follow the instructions. Even for an experienced builder it's a good idea as things are so cramped in there.

My only gripe is it gets a bit hot in there. My CPU temp hovers around the 50C mark, and the variable speed fan is not as quiet as you might like (though buckets quieter than my old tower system). I prefer switching off the 'fan guardian' as the fan speed wavers somewhat when passing certain 'thresholds'. Reading through some of the forums, I think I will probably replace the standard exhaust fan with something a bit quieter then this won't be so noticable.

Mine's loaded with
Athlon XP2500+
Radeon 9600
2x256Gb PC3200 memory.
120Gb Maxtor 7200/8Mb

I can't see much of a performance decrease over my old system that was based on the A7N8X Deluxe motherboard. It looks the biz, is built very nicely, and as a bonus I sold my old Asus motherboard on ebay for a loss of just £12 after 6 months!!!

Hope this helps
Joolz

Edited to add I didn't even rebuild the OS which for a motherboard change is somewhat foolish, but it all booted up and worked before I had the chance to format the hard disk No compatibility issues so far at all.

[Edited by jbryant - 12/17/2003 10:35:57 PM]
Old 17 December 2003, 10:46 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

thanks for the feedback guys. If I buy one, I'm looking to connect it up to the internet permanent (on DSL) so I want something thats going to be quiet, reliable and won't crash on me. Sounds like it might be fine. Using a full size tower PC was an alternative but the PSU's in those things are in excess of 300W which I feel would be a little expensive if it was being left on all the time.

cheers.
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I've got one (Evesham PC using Shuttle unit). Got to say it's very good. Evesham tend to use fairly decent quality components which does make a difference. I not really into modding, so the size was a good thing for me. It is very quiet and sits on my desk, next to the monitor. There is no way I'd normally do this with a tower case etc.

My PC is a 2.6Ghz P4 with 120Gb hard drive, combined CD/Writer and DVD player, 256 Meg RAM (upgradable to 2 Gig) and various USB slots etc. Suits me fine and will be OK for a few years. A bit more memory might help later though...

I'd happily have another one. If you like the small form PCs, have a look at Cubit as well. Very nice

Chris

Edited to include a link to Evesham. This is close to the spec of mine (they've now been updated).

[Edited by Chris L - 12/17/2003 10:57:41 PM]
Jye
Scooby Regular

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/product.p...4527779dac86ec

This is the top shuttle atm, no overheating problems even with the top P4 and ATI 9800 XT. Has vented mesh sides to dissapate heat.
Old 17 December 2003, 11:05 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Just to add, the black ones are much nicer 'in the metal.' The system I have is one of the plastic fronted versions, which though very nice, is not quite the same 'sleek beast' league that the top model Black cased Athlon 64 or P4 rig mentioned above are in.

Basically what I am saying is I got this SN45 as it matched my current set of peripherals, and was a bit peeved they didn't do a black version, though this is very much a matter of personal opinion.

Got mine from this site (under barebone systems) that I had not previously used - very reasonable prices and fast delivery
CPU City
Joolz

[Edited by jbryant - 12/17/2003 11:12:37 PM]
Old 17 December 2003, 11:39 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

If you want to 'display' it though , what you want is a Cubit P4. Shuttle internals in case.

Article here http://www.sfftech.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=461&pid=1692
Old 18 December 2003, 09:01 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I've got a Shuttle SG thingy which I bought from Overclockers (.co.uk). DVD/CD-RW, 120Gb Sata, 512mb RAM, 9700 Pro etc.

Lovely looking piece of kit & the reason is that when the servers leave my study, then we'll have a nice looking, less noisy PC left behind. Got the servers for lots of things and just use the shuttle as a workstation.

Ah..

Noise. Well, not as quiet as I thought it might be. Variable fan which is fine when not hot & a HDD that sounds like a machine-gun on full chat But I guess its no noiser than any other PC.

Otherwise, can't complain & it does as it says on the tin. I added in a memory card reader and thats well handy for snappy snaps etc. Still wondering what to use my spare PCi slot for
Old 07 January 2004, 11:12 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Further to my positive posts above, my Shuttle has just fried itself. Looking in forums seems like a totally fried bios. Need to now send it back and wait months no doubt, or buy me a replacement BIOS chip (BIOS saviour £25ish) which looks more likely as I need my games rig back!

Bugger. Was only rebuilding OS and it dropped dead when I used BIOS to "revert to failsafe values". Now the fan comes on, but nothing else except hard disk light

Was having trouble upgrading my ATI drivers which is what caused me to start the rebuild.

Bah Humbug
Joolz
Old 08 January 2004, 12:31 AM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

mother in law has one, great machine, not many pci slots tho but fast (amd 2.2) and the quietest pc ive ever seen, recommended