Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Will BT rewire me to get ADSL

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2003, 02:24 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

BT (the stoopid sh1tters) have wired my house to an exchange miles away - but there is another exchange closer (about 2 KM) that the other half of my estate is wired to..

Question is.. what are the chances of getting BT to re-wire to the closer exchange so I can get ADSL ???
Old 10 February 2003, 02:25 PM
ChrisB

Re-arrange these two words...

hope and bob.
Old 10 February 2003, 02:27 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

roight then, I'll be cancelling all BT services at work and at home... (*******)
Old 10 February 2003, 02:29 PM
ChrisB

Getting business circuits with multiple ISDN 30 bearers sorted is hard enough work, never mind a single PSTN line for a house.

Console yourself with the knowledge that I live in the ward of this city that has the biggest percentage of the population yet we haven't got DSL yet either...
Old 10 February 2003, 02:33 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I know how you feel Chris ! - MK has NTL cable but no NTL data services !!

I am still hoping for Wireless Broadband to appear in MK, but the council will charge the suppliers £5000 per year per mast mounted on lamposts..
Old 10 February 2003, 10:52 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Been through the same situation over the last few months. I 'lost my place' on the local link when I switched from analogue to ISDN (Home Hiway and then Business Hiway) a couple of years back. Now I want ADSL, I was told my place in the cabinet has been taken by another line someone else has put in and that I am routed 6 km away

To rub it in 5 of the 6 houses nearest me now have ADSL, and me, the one that needs it for homeworking, can't get it :grrr:

After much hassle, BT agreed to fit a third line to my house on the provision that it would be ADSL capable. They actually wrote this on the order form when I rang up. They didn't manage to get it working after a lot of hassle so they have now refunded me all my costs for that line (just before xmas) which is a no-lose situation really and something you might want to speak nicely to them about trying.

Cheers
Joolz

PS. when the engineer visited to install the above line, he told me that there was nothing wrong with my existing phone line and that it was technically capable of having ADSL (he tested with dongles!) Sales would not have it however as 'the system' said I couldn't have ADSL on the line!

PPS. A month after I finally give up, BT customer service rang me to tell me that my phone line which was not ADSL compatible now is, as they have upgraded the exchange - Somewhat of a surprise after all the hassle I've been through but - Wahoooo!!!
Old 02 October 2003, 06:10 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Angry

I've been down this road (I'm in West MK) - closest exchange 2 miles - our phones connected to exchange 5.4 miles away (Stony Stratford) .

Line is "too noisy" for ADSL....

Three letters to chairman of BT - polite replies but no action.

Query to NTL - "I can confirm that MK is the only NTL cabled area which has no broadband"...

BT will allow you to have a line connected to an alternate exchange - at the bargain price of £600 - but won't let you use it for ADSL...

I use ISDN and a one-way satellite link from Netsystem which is OKish but not good value for money compared to BT/NTL.

Thanks

Gavin

[Edited by GavinP - 2/10/2003 6:12:04 PM]