Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

VPN query

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2003, 01:53 PM
Chris@Excal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have just got a VPN to work from home (really clever stuff!). I have a XP machine at home and come in to a W2K server. What I don't understand is that I can't see all the programs that the server runs. Why is this? Is there a way that I can? It is quite important as there are programs associated with our database that run overnight/weekend, that sometimes fail and need to be restarted. When I looked through the VPN, I couldn't see them, but as I had done a server reboot realised they had not been started. Could not find the original location for starting them (Start/progs/database indexer) but managed to find the applications in root of C: so started them no problems. When I came into work this morning, I could not see them on the server, and even by looking in the task manager they were not visible. I need to be able to see them at work as I need to be able to stop them during certain parts of the day. Do not have another XP or 2000 machine at work to VPN in through as we run a NT network.
Any thoughts?
Chris
Old 20 January 2003, 02:16 PM
TolTec
Scooby Regular

Are you making a terminal services connection to your server? If you are that would explain why you do not see the apps running on the server. Terminal services (even in admin mode) does not give you a view of the server desktop but starts a separate workstation session on the server. To 'see' your server desktop you will need to use a remote desktop tools such as

VNC - free but not terribly secure
PCAnywhere - more secure but not free

Is this any help?
Old 20 January 2003, 02:30 PM
Chris@Excal
Scooby Regular

Terminal Service connection is being used and have PC Anywhere running so that I can look at another machine. Can I use PC Anywhere as both a host (ie into the W2K server) then as a access point to another machine?
Chris

[Edited by Chris@Excal - 1/20/2003 2:34:04 PM]
Old 20 January 2003, 03:31 PM
TolTec
Scooby Regular

Chris,

the VPN connection should give your remote PC a connection to your network as if it was physically on your network, although probably on a subnet. What you can do/see will depend on exactly how the connection has been restricted, anything from all ip address and ports to one ip one port. This means that all apps on your PC should have the same access to your work network not just the terminal services client.

Try entering your win2K server's ip address and c drive share (e.g. \\192.168.0.10\c$) into start -> run -> open: and see if you can open the share.

If that works try entering the ip address of your server into PCAnywhere to make a connection.

Try pinging other PCs on your network, if you can get a reply the chances are that you can establish PCAnywhere connections directly to them without going through your w2k server.

[Edited by TolTec - 1/20/2003 3:34:38 PM]
Old 20 January 2003, 04:58 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

VNC is really good at resolving across a network...

I VPN from home into a W2K server in Peterborough & can VNC via that to another machine that is VPN'd in from Bristol & eventually (when I get down there ) all the other PCs on the Bristol network...

You can also use a PDA to VPN & VNC & so remotely control PCs/Servers from anywhere with a GPRS connection

Old 20 January 2003, 05:12 PM
TolTec
Scooby Regular

We use VNC internally PTMW, it just does not have much in the way of security and besides Chris said he already had PCAnywhere.

Thinking of security I hope Chris is running a personal firewall (e.g. Sygate, Zonealarm) otherwise his VPN connection may not be as secure as he thinks it is.

Old 20 January 2003, 05:15 PM
Chris@Excal
Scooby Regular

Have a 3 com firewall at work and am just using the XP firewall that comes as standard, is this not a good idea??
Puff, like the idea of running this from a PDA, thought that VPN was good as I do not have to leave the house, but from a PDA...... I would never have to get out of bed!!!!
Old 20 January 2003, 06:07 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Cool

Tol

Use VNC internally too - just use VPN to make the secure connection to the network first Its also free & IMHO easier to use than pcANywhere.

Roaming GPRS means that you can take your PDA on holiday & work from the beach Works for me on top of hills in Ireland

Old 20 January 2003, 07:59 PM
Chris@Excal
Scooby Regular

Puff, Now that sounds very good to me, knew that this PDA was going to be useful, only problem is that it is a Palm 515, so maybe does not quite have the OS to be able to do this (Oh and I doubt my Nokia phone has either!!!). What is this about Ireland, thought you live in Cambs? Or can I not read properly?
Chris
Old 20 January 2003, 08:01 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Cambs is usual - Ireland sometime soon I hope
Old 20 January 2003, 10:18 PM
King RA
BANNED

Try Radmin version v2.1. Totally encrypted and miles better than VNC, not free tho.
Old 21 January 2003, 09:05 AM
TolTec
Scooby Regular

Chris, have a look at this

http://www.btinternet.com/~harakan/PalmVNC/

VNC for the Palm.

If you are running the XP firewall at home you are probably OK, I do not know the relative merits of XP/Sygate etc firewalls - just keep the patches up to date as always.

Old 21 January 2003, 10:08 AM
Chris@Excal
Scooby Regular

Guys, thanks for the answers, will go off and see about the things mentioned, especially the palm stuff, hmmmmm, just need a bit of money now to buy all these things!!