Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone got multiple VPN's on Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2001, 07:24 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

We got a Raptor 6.5_3 Firewall running Solaris, need to setup VPN Raptor mobile on it, but been told (by a salesman no less) that running this on a firewall thats also used for http/smtp and web hosting is going to seriously cack performance and we need a VPN appliance to connect too.

Is this true? I've also been high bandwidth VPN connections are going to wack resources and effect throughput of other services.

Cheers

John
Old 11 December 2001, 11:41 PM
jimbob2
Scooby Regular

Don't knock salesman, a lot of us have done the techie stuff already.

Take a look at what the firewall is doing in it's current guise - it's running a rulebase that is probaly doing packet filtering, and some stateful inspection of one sort or another. If you then go and run multiple vpn tunnels on it, the processor will be tied up with encryption/decryption - lots of maths, so yes, your website will suffer from performance loss.

Depending on how much bandwidth you have currently, and your available cash, I would recommend one of the following.

1. Buy a beefier access router - something with plenty of memory, and buy the firewall feature set for teh router (assuming you are using Cisco - you'll really need a 3640 with 256mb RAM and a VPN accelorator card for a 2mbps line) You can then use the IPSEC client software on your remote users PCs.

2. Buy a proper VPN service from a decent supplier - Cable & Wireless does a good one based on Nortel routers - these are designed for high speed encryption, or UUNET (worldcom) who run a system based on Xedia boxes - both are good and proven, and both companies provide the relevant client software.

From a security point of view, I would be shot if I advised one of my customers to run a remote access VPN on the same firewall protecting a corporate website.

Dim Salesman.

Old 12 December 2001, 08:36 AM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks Jim

Not got anything against sales bods, just a bit annoyed by the fact that we were sold this f/wall (before I joined the company) on the instruction that it would be capable and deliver our need for mulitple VPN connections...now when it comes to be doing this we are told (by the same salesman) that he don't recommend it.

See where I'm coming from

As we deal with both C+W and Worldcom I'll have a look at what they have to offer.

Cheers

John

Old 12 December 2001, 11:18 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

BTN in wokingham seem to have a very good understand of VPN solutions using Raptor f/w, I've worked with them before, give them a call on 01189-361810, I believe Peter Leeke or Jason Foster there would be able to put you in touch with someone who can help you.

If you speak to Jason, tell him DrEvil sent you, they all saw my P1 with the stickers

Alex
Old 12 December 2001, 12:25 PM
jimbob2
Scooby Regular

Yep, BTN would be a good solution - they are v. good at multi-teir firewalls and intrusion detection - still, don't use the same firewall for your VPN - security issue.

BTW, BTN are owned by C&W - that's who I work for!

J
Old 12 December 2001, 12:39 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Cool

Jimbob

Ahhh...we have BIG dealings with C+W

Small world eh?
Old 14 December 2001, 09:29 AM
jimbob2
Scooby Regular

Who do you deal with at C&W?

What Company are you from - mail me offline if you want!

J