Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

VPN Remote Access Qn

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2003, 10:15 AM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a home network with 2 windows XP pcs, a wireless lan, slimp3 player, ps2, iPAQ and TiVo connected to it.

I would like to access all these things (perhaps except the PS2 and iPAQ! ) remotely.

I know you guys are VPN experts - is this the way to go? How is it done? How much? Are there restrictions - i.e. I cannot use our work VPN to access work when out on client sites as the client doesn't permit it through their firewall. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

If VPN is not the solution, how can I securely access my home network via web AND remote desktop to PCs etc.

TIA,

Alex
Old 09 September 2003, 08:17 AM
kirk1176
Scooby Newbie

Hmmm, a few options in my mind. I'm guessing with all that kit that you have a broadband line? If so, what are you protecting all of this kit with? Some sort of firewall (I hope)? Depending upon how much you want to spend you can set up a small remote-access VPN solution using a Cisco PIX 501 Firewall and their free VPN client. The PIX retails at about £300 which may be a little on the expensive side but will certainly allow you to VPN in from most places - so long as IPSec isn't blocked.
Old 09 September 2003, 08:52 AM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

"so long as IPSec isn't blocked"

Is kinda my problem. Yes I have a broadband line, yes I have a firewall protecting it (Linksys BEFSW41 cable/dsl router/firewall).

I want to connect in from client sites/work etc where IPSec may well be blocked.

Forwarding specifically just the Remote Desktop post to one PC has been suggested to me, as has forwarding just SSH port and using Stone (www.gcd.org/sengoku/stone) to jump the firewalls via port 80 ?

I would really like a solution that will work from anywhere...?