Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

New Harware on start up which doesnt exist

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2002, 06:52 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
The original modem in my p.c. has a ghost

I removed it last year for a 3com modem and it kept appearing at start up as "found new hardware" I deleted all traces of it and removed it "remove hardware" disapeared from device manager great I thought its gone but it kept re appearing.

Since then I have put a new hard drive / graffix / sound cards in and a broadband modem, and sice then the problem had vanished and I had forgotten about it, I kept my old hard drive as a slave.
After downloading Audio Galaxy satelite the ****** has return as "new hardware found" on start up, why?? this modem removed from the machine before the new HD was set up there would be no trace of the modem in the HD as they never worked together so to speak, so why has it reappeared??, yes its easy to hit cancel but im curious.

Dave
Old 30 May 2002, 09:57 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which OS ?

Try booting into safe mode and removing it from the device manager.

Also, if you've removed a modem, chances are the computer may have uncovered a hardware serial port that the modem maybe's blocked.

Next time it says found new hardware, you might want to try putting your windows cd in and pointing to the windows folder on it, eg. D:\WIN98

-DV