Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Computer here in France won't boot up........

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2014, 12:23 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Computer here in France won't boot up........

........so I'm having to do this onthe wife's school laptop.

It offers me Del to enter setup...which then gives me loads of options, none of which I understand, and the obvious one ends in a scrfeen about NVIDIA and seems to want a prompt?

I can also press f12.....but that does nothing.

It's off the mains at the mo.

Been five months in a cold, damp house, but usually goes OK.

Any advice gratefully received, before it costs me €€€€€ to have someone say it's had it.

Please put any response in non-computer language if poss, I'm a rank novice.

TIA
Old 06 April 2014, 12:49 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you post a photo of the screen contents when it offers setup? Might just need a new motherboard battery?
Old 06 April 2014, 01:49 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe it's on strike?
Old 06 April 2014, 01:52 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

it may just have to have the system time set, if the mother board battery got too low.
Old 06 April 2014, 03:02 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Have you tried pressing f8 repeatedly on start up?
Old 06 April 2014, 04:49 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It can't find a boot device
Old 06 April 2014, 06:38 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by riiidaa
maybe it's on strike?

It may be getting temperamental. Give it some time and see if it's ok later.
Old 06 April 2014, 09:20 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

OK, it's resting.
When I boot it up tomorrow I'll photograph the screens that come up and try and post them.

Thanks so far.
Old 06 April 2014, 09:25 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

maybe it's on strike?
Originally Posted by CREWJ
I'm glad that gave someone a giggle

it'll probably surrender tomorrow
Old 06 April 2014, 09:43 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

I'm glad that gave someone a giggle

it'll probably surrender tomorrow
igetthatreference.jpg
Old 08 April 2014, 11:01 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Can you post a photo of the screen contents when it offers setup? Might just need a new motherboard battery?

The screens appear in that order, often reverting to the first one, if I press anything.

On the last one, the final character is like rotating, as if awaiting an input?

On the first screen, pressing F12 does nothing, pressing Del gives the second screen etc.

At the moment it's sat on the final short screen and has been for two hours.....

Any help gratefully received.
Old 08 April 2014, 01:37 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Assuming you only have one hard disk, it looks like its knackered I'm afraid - as you can see from the "3rd Master Hard Disk Error" message.

I'd unplug the data cable from the hard disk and try another connection first (if there is one, if not use the one that connects to the DVD drive). Anyone where it fits should do. If that doesn't work, it's new hard disk time. Depending on how critical the data on the disk is, you could attempt recovery on another machine.

Ignore the NVidia Boot Agent screen. It's attempting a network boot as a last resort, but it'll never connect to anything.

Edit: if it's been cold for a while then you could remove the hard drive, put it somewhere warm for a while, then reinstall to eliminate any potential condensation issues.

Last edited by DJ Dunk; 08 April 2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08 April 2014, 07:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I'll try that first.

New hard disk?

Worth doing? It was backed up for data about a year ago, not much else on it since.

Would I be better buying one I can bring back and forth? CAN desktops be transported regularly?

Or have I to buy a cheap-ish laptop and use a mouse?
Old 08 April 2014, 07:18 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Desktops are perfectly transportable, provided they don't get bashed around too much. Older, mechanical hard disks such as yours can be prone to shock damage though.

If it does come to replacing the hard disk it does mean having to reinstall (Windows or your chosen OS) from scratch, but otherwise a cheap fix.

From your screens, it appears to be an IDE (rather than a SATA) hard drive, so an upgrade to faster, more resilient solid state drive wouldn't be straightforward.

A new hard drive would only cost from about £18 A new hard drive would only cost from about £18
- so there's probably life in the old girl yet.
Old 08 April 2014, 08:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Ah.......so I can't go to one that will allow me to transport it regularly then?
Old 08 April 2014, 08:58 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

It's possible with the addition of a PCI-e SATA card (assuming no SATA ports already on the motherboard), but a new IDE hard drive would probably be a more sensible, cost effective option.

For portability, perhaps consider a laptop in future or where possible try and leave the desktop in situ in France.
Old 10 April 2014, 12:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thing is, it doesn't seem to like being left here. This one is only about 6 years old and doesn't get much use.

Yet it can sit in fairly damp and cold conditions for five months at a time....... not good, I'm sure.

But I loathe laptops: their stupid cramped keyboard, the lack of a mouse, the screen you have to hunch over.....awful.
Old 10 April 2014, 01:48 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

If you can protect it a bit, then it may help. Even a blanket over it (unplug it first) when you leave would probably help. Failing that, just make sure it has time to acclimatise before firing it up to avoid condensation.

Having said all that, hard drives fail, especially when they've been left for a while. The old platters and head arms are delicate things.

I ditched my desktop for a laptop and don't regret it. I use a 17" laptop with a wireless mouse and love it. You can always dock the laptop and use it like a desktop if you prefer - with the added bonus that you can undock and take it wherever you like
Old 11 April 2014, 03:44 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk

Having said all that, hard drives fail, especially when they've been left for a while. The old platters and head arms are delicate things.
So not worth me trying to update this to a solid state one then?

I ditched my desktop for a laptop and don't regret it. I use a 17" laptop with a wireless mouse and love it. You can always dock the laptop and use it like a desktop if you prefer - with the added bonus that you can undock and take it wherever you like
Sorry, could you explain the above?
Old 11 April 2014, 04:32 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

You *could* update it to use a solid state drive, but there are 'buts'.

I'm working on the assumption that it doesn't already have SATA ports?

You'd need to make sure you have a spare PCI-e slot, then you'd need to check that your motherboard supports booting from it. Some boards will have an option to "Boot from Add-in card" in the BIOS, some will do it by default, some are less forgiving. You're glazing over already aren't you?

You'd need a card such as this (not a recommendation, just an example) :
PCIE to SATA III and eSATA CONTROLLER CARD - 2 + 2 PORTS - PCI EXPRESS 1x - CHIPSET SATA 3.0 : ASM1061: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories PCIE to SATA III and eSATA CONTROLLER CARD - 2 + 2 PORTS - PCI EXPRESS 1x - CHIPSET SATA 3.0 : ASM1061: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Plus the extra cost of a solid state drive, which although are smaller in capacity are much more affordable now, not to mention more reliable. If it all works, you've supercharged your computer for a relatively low upgrade cost.

In relation to docks, or port replicators as they're also known, basically it's a box to which you connect up a keyboard, mouse and monitor to. It sits on your desk and you can connect your laptop to it (with the lid closed) and it acts like a desktop computer. Just undock your laptop and leave the rest behind whenever you like. Best of both worlds. They're commonplace in office environments.
Old 11 April 2014, 05:26 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
You *could* update it to use a solid state drive, but there are 'buts'.

I'm working on the assumption that it doesn't already have SATA ports?

You'd need to make sure you have a spare PCI-e slot, then you'd need to check that your motherboard supports booting from it. Some boards will have an option to "Boot from Add-in card" in the BIOS, some will do it by default, some are less forgiving. You're glazing over already aren't you?

You'd need a card such as this (not a recommendation, just an example) : PCIE to SATA III and eSATA CONTROLLER CARD - 2 + 2 PORTS - PCI EXPRESS 1x - CHIPSET SATA 3.0 : ASM1061: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Plus the extra cost of a solid state drive, which although are smaller in capacity are much more affordable now, not to mention more reliable. If it all works, you've supercharged your computer for a relatively low upgrade cost.

In relation to docks, or port replicators as they're also known, basically it's a box to which you connect up a keyboard, mouse and monitor to. It sits on your desk and you can connect your laptop to it (with the lid closed) and it acts like a desktop computer. Just undock your laptop and leave the rest behind whenever you like. Best of both worlds. They're commonplace in office environments.
I certainly was.

My advice would be if your anything like me with computers, and it would seem that you are. Do what I did bite the bullet and get yourself either a MacBook pro or MacBook Air, you'll have none of this nonsense that goes with Microsoft PC's. Best thing I ever did with regards to computers, they just do what it says on the tin, no fuss no hassle.
Old 11 April 2014, 07:43 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Your computer is rather old hat now. I would go for a new one really. Going PCI card for an SSD is a great upgrade but do you know the HDD is the only thing broken?
Old 11 April 2014, 08:06 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I had thought of that. it will be going home with me and will most likely be replaced with "something" that will do as DJ says.

Whether that is this, or a laptop with a dock, remains to be seen.

Thanks to all who have responded.