Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

OpenSSL bug, 'Heartbleed'

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2014, 11:11 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OpenSSL bug, 'Heartbleed'

info on the bug found here http://heartbleed.com/

it'll be all over the news for ages I predict

on Twitter, @snipeyhead, has done an excellent job of explaining the situation in plain English. Please, please read this, and if you have questions, ask me:

'There is a security vulnerability that was recently discovered, colloquially called "Heartbleed". While you may or may not work with computers, you're going to get lots of emails over the next week or two, from service providers you use (Facebook, Twilio, blogs you have a login to, etc), telling you that they've patched the vulnerability. Every email I've gotten so far specifically says "we have no evidence to suggest that user accounts were compromised."

This is 100% patently a line of grade-A bull****. The very nature of the vulnerability in Heartbleed means it *cannot* be detected. While what they're saying isn't exactly a lie - they do not, in fact, have evidence that user accounts were compromised - it's egregiously misleading and incredibly unethical to make this statement and passively suggest that user's might not have been affected. No one knows who has been affected, but to say there is no evidence misleads users into thinking there *would* be evidence if they were affected.

As @nicklockwood on twitter said, "we found a bug that allows our servers to be hacked without leaving evidence, but there is no evidence that this has happened."

Changing your passwords is important, but only do so once your service providers have stated that they've fixed it, otherwise your new password is just as vulnerable as your previous one.
You can use http://filippo.io/Heartbleed/ to check, but you don't know the inner workings of their application, so it's still no guarantee. They may use URLs and systems within their infrastructure that are hidden from you, so you can't test them.

Once they tell you it's patched, change your password. If they haven't said anything, ASK THEM. If they don't answer you and don't have a formal statement, DITCH THEM. This is very serious, and you need to at least know that they have a game plan, if they haven't already fixed it.

Without getting too technical, this is different than security issues we've seen (like with Target). This issue doesn't affect data at rest (stored in a database), but rather data stored in memory over SSL.

If you shop online, do not do business with companies that have not confirmed that they have patched this bug, until they say they have.

But most of all, do not believe their PR bull****. Bugs happen. It sucks, but it's part of software. I find it offensive and unethical that rather than just addressing the issue, they would suggest that users have nothing to worry about because it makes them look better.http://tl.gd/n_1s1b295 '
Old 10 April 2014, 01:23 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by riiidaa
info on the bug found here http://heartbleed.com/

it'll be all over the news for ages I predict
As usual, media frenzy does not reflect the reality. It only affects servers using OpenSSL, and the only certain versions and only those utilising the Heartbeat extension.

Esitmated 17% of SSL sites affected, which whlist not insubstantial, is not what the usual hype would have you believe.

An organisation that says it has not been compromised isn't necessarily lying, if they are not using OpenSSL, then they are not affected, so the message that they are lying is a it disengenuous, to be honest.
Old 12 April 2014, 06:53 PM
johnwiz
Scooby Regular

Oh , it IS real, got an email about it this morning from McAfee & couldn't quite believe it !!
I will be checking for statements from Santander & Barclays that's for sure !!
Old 12 April 2014, 07:14 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Yeah , got an email from my electricity suppliers today.