Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

I'm a thicko... What's the process (start to finish) for cleaning my car?

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2008, 11:20 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm a thicko... What's the process (start to finish) for cleaning my car?

Can someone write a list like:

A 1. Spray car with Snow Foam
2. Hose off
3. Wash car using 2 bucket method
4. Dry car

B 1. Clay bar
2. Etc.....

C. 1. Polish with either.....

D. 1. Wax with either.....

E. 1. Stand back and admire.....

Seriously it would help me a lot as a VIRGIN car detailer/cleaner.... as I'm completely confused over what to buy from PB and use in what order?!?!?!

I'm down to one STi (Black with Blue fleck) at the moment....

Heellllppppppp.....
Old 26 February 2008, 11:46 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-3...re-guides.html

HTH
Old 26 February 2008, 12:07 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

thought you needed some kind of paint treatment for ice blue
Old 26 February 2008, 12:10 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

seriously though you cant go wrong with just PM'ing rich at PB and having a quick chat. I did a while back and he gave me a few pointers on what or what not to use. He is always busy but very helpful to share his experience

I have my favourites on my DBM I use, some from high street stores, the rest all ordered from PB
Old 26 February 2008, 12:30 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I may just do that Swiss

I started yesterday with a pad and pen.... then a rubber (eraser ), then a new pad... then some tippex.....

My "To Do" list had around 500 items and came in at about £3000.... with a 1,000 different pads and several polishers

Then I got all confused and had to surf some **** while I cleared my head (brain ).... so for a novice this can be VERY confusing

I just need a starters pack.... polisher, pads, polishy stuff, cutting/de-swirly stuff and some rag type things... oh and some poorboys inside leather and dash type stuff...

I'll PM Squadron Leader Polished Bliss and see if I can get a feel (idea ) for what I could really do with!!

DCI
Old 27 February 2008, 10:04 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Give me until this afternoon and I will have a suitable list for you; nothing over the top, just the basics for a thorough clean and light polish, giving a great finish. Bear with me...
Old 27 February 2008, 06:14 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
Give me until this afternoon and I will have a suitable list for you; nothing over the top, just the basics for a thorough clean and light polish, giving a great finish. Bear with me...
Thank you Polished Bliss..... I await enlightenment
Old 03 March 2008, 02:09 PM
craig79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
C'mon Rich I'm waiting with baited breath here
Craig.
Old 03 March 2008, 02:26 PM
STiLtd
Scooby Regular

Me too!

Just about to start buying stuff. A bit annoying as I bought the car (only a few months ago) with the DiamondBrite stuff applied.

It's nearly as bad as

https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-3...ship-prep.html

So, I guess in a few weeks time, I've got a long weekend of hard work!
Old 04 March 2008, 03:04 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Bugger me, I'm so sorry, I got into work last week and was swamped with other stuff and promptly forgot to come back on. And then I never made it back on at all!

Okay, here is the definitive list, pick and choose at will as you may or may not need everything...

Wash (ideally every week)

Advanced Car Wash Kit £67.95 - Advanced Car Wash Kit - Polished Bliss Car Care and Detailing Kits

Meguiars Hyper Wash £21.95 - Meguiars Hyper Wash - Meguiars Car Care and Detailing Products

To apply the foam you will need either a Gilmour Foamaster II if you just have a hose to work with, or else an Auto Brite lance if you have a power washer. Here is the link to the Gilmour...

Gilmour Foamaster II - £49.95 - Gilmour Foamaster II Foam Gun - Gilmour Car Care and Detailing Products

or to Auto Brite for their range of power washer lances (most are ~£45)...

E-Commerce

Clay (once or twice a year, spring and autumn are the best times)

Meguiars Quik Clay £11.95 - Meguiars Quik Clay - Meguiars Car Care and Detailing Products

Polish (after claying, thus done once or twice a year)

For the first major detail to fully correct the paint...

To correct swirls and other moderate defects (fine scratches and etching) on your car, you will need to start out with Menzerna RD3.02 using Lake Country CCS Light Cut Pads (6.5" pads on a 6" flexible backing plate for larger areas, and 4" spot pads on a 3.5" flexible backing plate for more awkward areas). Working at speed 4-5 using moderate pressure should see you able to correct ~90% of the defects with a couple of attempts per panel - to achieve a higher level of correction would require the power of a rotary polisher, which are professional tools that need a lot more time to master. With the bulk of the correction done, you will need to switch to Menzerna 85RD using Lake Country CCS Polishing Pads (again, it's best to have both sizes of pad to work with). Working at speed 4-5 with light pressure should see you produce the maximum possible gloss, which you will then want to seal in using either a wax or a sealant.

Here is a link to a step by step illustrated guide to using these products on Subaru paint...

https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-3...d-machine.html

and here is a short list of the required products...

Advanced G220 Kit - Meguiars G220 Dual Action Polishing Machine - Meguiars Car Care and Detailing Products

Menzerna RD3.02 - Menzerna RD3.02 - Menzerna Car Care and Detailing Products

Menzerna 85RD - Menzerna 85RD - Menzerna Car Care and Detailing Products

Super Thick & Plush Towels - Poorboys Super Thick & Plush Towel - Poorboys Car Care and Detailing Products

Then, every 6-12 months therafter (and always after claying), a light polish with the 85RD and a polishing pad should suffice to keep the paint in tip top condition and take out any fresh wash marring.

Protect (apply a fresh coat every 6-8 weeks)

Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection £21.95 - Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection - Blackfire Car Care and Detailing Products

Lake Country German Applicator Pad £2.95 - Lake Country German Applicator Pad - Lake Country Car Care and Detailing Products

Poorboys Deluxe Mega Towel £3.95 - Poorboys Deluxe Mega Towel - Poorboys Car Care and Detailing Products

This product gives a highly reflective wet looking shine and is very easy to put on and take off (apply using the red side of a Lake Country German Applicator Pad and buff off using Poorboys Deluxe Mega Towels). If you want to take the look of the car further, you could optionally finish with our Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba Paste Wax, which is very easy to use, and which will give even more wetness and gloss. However, because of the high carnauba content, it is pricey, and thus optional...

Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba Paste Wax £39.95 - Blackfire Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax - Blackfire Car Care and Detailing Products

I hope that helps, if you have any more questions please fire away, I'm always happy to help... just sometimes slow off the mark when busy! Oh, and here is what to expect from the Blackfire products...

Last edited by Rich @ PB; 05 March 2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04 March 2008, 03:58 PM
craig79
Scooby Regular

Cheers Rich, good man
Craig.
Old 04 March 2008, 05:52 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Thanks polished bliss, that's now getting printed off........ that's spot on, thanks for taking the time to do this, it's mucho appreciated fella!!
Old 04 March 2008, 06:09 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Most of the products are out of stock on your website, any idea when they'll be back in stock?

Also the price you've given for the Advanced Car Wash Kit is the price of the Standard one (advanced if 60+).

Cheers, DCI
Old 04 March 2008, 08:08 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Also the price you've given for the Advanced Car Wash Kit is the price of the Standard one (advanced if 60+).

Cheers, DCI
dont worry you qualify for the 60+ age discount....tuesdays is Polished Bliss Seniors day I think
Old 05 March 2008, 10:33 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Lol! Oops, sorry about the pricing error, post now amended - guess I was the senior in question! Okay, a Meguiars delivery literally just arrived, and almost all of the products listed will be showing as back in stock in an hour or two... bar the G220 polisher, which will be another 1-4 weeks, depending on how quickly Meguiars UK can import the next batch (it would be fair to say they have rather underestimated demand!).