Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

APs or Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2002, 04:10 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

(I know its not for a Scoob, but for a Skoda, so Mods please move if appropriate)

I have decided to ditch the standard single pot brakes for something with more control / power. The setup I have at the moment is pretty good (312x25mm Grp N, grooved and drilled, silkolene fluid, DS3000 pads), but I want more!

I have a choice here, either an AP kit for a TT, 4 pot, 330x28, 48 vane, grooved or £130 more for 6 pots OR Porsche 911 turbo brakes, 4 pot, cross drilled (holes cast in) 330x32 for the same price as the AP 4 pots. Any ideas as to which I should go for. I do track days and go to the Ring every 6 weeks or so. I'm leaning towards the APs for several reasons, mainly cost of new pads, reputation, yellow writing on black callipers (sad but true). But then in the Porsche's favour if I need pads I can go to any Porsche dealer, same with discs, they don't need as much servicing and they are available in black rather than red (with white Porsche on them) and the mounting bracket definitely fits, unlike the AP which is a gamble as to whether it will without machining.

Any advice, offers to help out with a mounting bracket or even general comments would be welcome.

Old 09 May 2002, 04:43 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Maybe you've met Dick with his silver Octavia RS on the Ring. He uses the Movit kit on his car with great success. I can fully recommend them as I've got the complete set front and rear on my EVO.

Cheers

Mike
Old 09 May 2002, 06:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Id go for the AP's as you will probably find the Porsche kit is made by either themselves or Brembo
The AP's will stand up better if you do trackdays, also proven many a time by lots of people on this forum (ive got Brembo 4 pots meself thou) but either kit will be worth your money just depends on which name you like best

Tony
Old 09 May 2002, 07:37 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

It's boring to repeat myself but Brembo only produces the callipers to Porsche specification. Discs are made in Germany. The system we're talking about has been fitted for the last 3 years on the Porsche GT3 Supercup cars which hit speeds of 300km/h and have the same weight as our cars so perfectly suited.

The ceramic brake setup with the six pot callipers from the GT2 will set you back around 8000 quidd.

Mike
Old 09 May 2002, 08:40 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mmmm ceramic! Must resist.....

Reckon you are right, the Porsche ones are probably the way to go and it does appeal to my sense of humour to drive a Skoda with Porsche written on the callipers! Now I have to decide between black and red callipers LOL

Thanks for your opinions!
Old 10 May 2002, 07:40 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Talking

go for the ceranic option jon...

£8000....u only need to work an extra 10 hours or so and they're paid for :d
Old 10 May 2002, 09:31 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

someone mention movit?

I've got the 4m6 kit (GT3 calipers and pads, turbo discs) on the scoob. OK, I not the best driver and it's not been on track (yet) but they seem pretty good to me.

Would guess they would be just as awesome on your car, which I've heard is a little monster!

mmmm, ceramic, now that would be nice!
Old 10 May 2002, 10:20 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well, my car is a cheeky little number, like a junior Blackbeast! Still can't decide on black or red callipers tho. Sounds like its the same brake setup although mine are Porsche callipers and discs. I know this because they are being ordered from the local Porsche dealer.

Perriam, you know it takes at least a week to earn that kind of money
Old 10 May 2002, 12:34 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Can you give me some info about fitting them to ure RS? I've got an S3 and fancy big brakes..snob factor means I'd rather have original Porsche red callipers than rebadged movits..sorry Mark/Mike.
C
Old 10 May 2002, 01:01 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

no worries chuck, I know you're a snob (only joking)

Plus the porsche thing would really annoy the audi chaps! ahhh, audi owner baiting, what a nice sport
Old 10 May 2002, 01:09 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Actually Audi snobs are very keen on the Porsche brake kits..but some I've seen are just Porker callipers with 'other' discs, which look pants. S3 owners exactly the same as scoobs when it comes to being dissapointed with fade resistance of the standard setup.
C
Old 10 May 2002, 01:20 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Chuckster, they are genuine 911 Turbo discs and callipers. 2 sizes available, think its 322x32 and 330x32. I am going for the 330s, with either Pagids or Porsche X-pack sport pads. Cost is £1375+VAT inc fitting. Bell part of the disc is machined to match your hub exactly so there is no run out on the disc (done using the correct Porsche machine). Give Scott at AmD a ring. I'm getting mine done as soon as he gets the Discs and Callipers in from the Porsche dealer. His number is 01869-323205 and they are in Bicester. Fitting takes 4 hours and yes, they have done S3s beforeThey are shut today as they are setting up their stand at the GTI show, but they'll be back on monday.
Old 10 May 2002, 02:22 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

The Texstar GT3 sport spec is a very good compromise. Good coldbite and still enough fade resistance on track when driving on road tyres. Very kind to the disc, not a lot of dust, very good wear rate, organic compound. After driving two days on the Ring the only issue I had was some pad residue on the discs but after driving home and washing the car fine again. Mind with 350brake hp you have to brake hard at the end of the straights!

BTW I couldn't stand having Porsche branding on my EVO, would make it too slow!

Cheers

Mike
Old 10 May 2002, 02:23 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Sorry I mean the sport spec pads to avoid any confusion!

Mike
Old 10 May 2002, 02:32 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

I want the Porsche branding on mine Mike - then I can upset 2 sets of people at once - Audi drivers by having a Skoda and Porsche drivers by putting "their" brakes on a Skoda! LOL!
Old 10 May 2002, 02:59 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good point!

Get an MTM chip so you can also **** them off not only in the braking areas but also keep up on the straights!

Cheers

Mike
Old 10 May 2002, 07:58 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Travia, isn't the big question will they fit?

Good luck,

Richard.
Old 11 May 2002, 03:00 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hoppy, no worries there mate, my name ain't Markus (sorry ) ) they will fit, all checked before purchase.

As to more power, can't without doing "major" stuff (new turbo, injectors, manifold etc), but then 228 bhp and 242lb/ft ain't too bad for FWD, especially in the wet. Didn't have too many problems keeping up at the Ring (lot of abuse from some Cossie and Subaru passengers, in a light hearted fashion, 'cos their drivers couldn't keep up with a Skoda!).