Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

winter friendly tyres?

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2011, 01:09 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter friendly tyres?

hi, sorry to ask the age old question but i don't get on here much nowadays and i'm well behind the times with what's good and bad on a scooby.

i'm after a replacement for my old trusty Michelin PS2 Sport tyres that i run through the winter, they're on their last legs and won't last long when i eventually get them on.

so, what's a good like for like for this tyre? i'm not after going down the full on proper winter tyre route as these tend to stay on for a while after winter until i get round to swapping over again.

any recomendations guys?

cheers,
Paul
Old 20 November 2011, 01:54 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either the PS3's or something like the vreddy sessanta's, but you wont beat a winter tyre with a summer tyre, worth going for some if you are keeping the car for a few years

Tony
Old 20 November 2011, 02:29 PM
viio
Scooby Regular

I had Maxxis Presa Snow tyres before and they were awesome - 80mph through the snow like it wasn't even there. This year I'm going to use Sailun Ice Blazers - very cheap but still outstanding for winter when compared to summer tyres. The Sailun tyres were about £60 from mytyres.co.uk
Old 20 November 2011, 03:55 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

cheers for the input guys, the sessanta's were the others i was thinking of but couldn't remember the name. ta

fully appreciate the full on winter tyre is the way to go if the last 2 winters are what's in store for us for a while, but last year i couldn't be arsed to change them over and 'my winter set' stayed on until may, lol. so a good all round summer tyre is the only way to go really.

anything will be better than the REO70's tbh, i'll take a look around at prices.

cheers,
Paul
Old 22 November 2011, 08:09 PM
evorach
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My scoob went everywhere last year on Toyo Proxes T1R and I live in Sheffield, so there are hills.
Old 22 November 2011, 09:10 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by evorach
My scoob went everywhere last year on Toyo Proxes T1R and I live in Sheffield, so there are hills.
i'd imagine they got a good testing around there! currently looking at 2nd gen Goodyear Eagle Assy F1's purely because they seem a great all rounder and in recent head to head reviews the wet weather performance is hard to beat. about the same price as anything else i'm looking at aswell.

fingers crossed wet weather is all we get this year
Old 22 November 2011, 10:25 PM
Micheru
Scooby Regular

Well timed thread for me too. My REO70s are about to go and since we're supposed to be seeing winter soon with snow coming mid December I thought it might be a good idea to get a winter set sooner rather than later.
Old 07 January 2012, 07:50 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

just a bit of an update, had the Eagle F1's on for about a month now. awesome tyre!

really, really good in the wet and greasy conditions of this time of year and fantastic dry grip aswell. alot firmer than the F1's i ran on my classic, somewhere between the REO70 and the PS2's i had, nice and firm with little roll.

very impressed. got them for about £110 each so not as dear as some others, but they've got to be one of the best performing tyres i've used in all my scooby days. very much recommended