Squeal like a pig!

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2002, 09:42 AM
whip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi all

My front nearside wheel started squealing about a month ago and has got progressively worse to the point that you can hear it at motorway speeds if any of the windows are slightly open.

Last night I took the wheel off, pads out and cleaned the caliper up, copperslip on the outside anti-squeal shim (not the inside one or the pad though), along the edge of the pad where it sits in the caliper, along the caliper on the top and bottom slide points, and on the slide/retaining pins. Went for a spin and there's no change/improvement whatsoever. Had the girlfriend drive the car down the road while I ran alongside (!) and it's definitely that wheel.

I'm wondering if it's either a sticking piston, or a warped disc. The noise does sounds like the brake is rubbing and it alters/gets more prominent under braking. Couldn't find any play in the wheel that would indicate a wheel bearing problem, and as it's a MY00 I wouldn't have thought the bearings would be knackered just yet anyhow.

Anyone got any ideas? Getting to a scooby dealer is out of the way for me so if it's something simple I'd rather just do it myself.

Cheers

Whip
Old 26 April 2002, 10:10 AM
whip
Scooby Regular

Talking

Anyone???

Whip
Old 26 April 2002, 11:46 AM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Question

Mmmm....doesn't sound bearing problem to me...more like a pad/disc problem...daft it may sound and I know you've checked the pads out but sometimes you can trap a small stone in between calipers and disc...

Just a thought...

Be interesting to see what the dealers say
Old 27 April 2002, 03:06 PM
yoza
BANNED

Talking

Sorry cant help.....
But I am pi55ing myself with the thought of you running down the road head bowed,listening for a squeal.Did you manage to keep up?
Do you look at your feet when your running to check out your new trainers?
Egg Sell Enntie......keep it up
Old 27 April 2002, 06:43 PM
navigator
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

could be a stone trapped in the pads .Take the pads out and have look i'd suggest.
Old 28 April 2002, 07:39 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Whip,

I have the same problem with mine, so your not alone. I've had the pads out and cleaned up all the parts, but it still does it sometimes. I've put it down to the pads moving about and will have another go a some point, think some subtle adjustment of the anti squeal pads is in order (hammer!).

To get round it for now I just run with the bung out of my BPM and I can't hear anything else, and I mean ANYTHING else

DaveW.
Old 29 April 2002, 09:31 AM
whip
Scooby Regular

Talking

Have sorted this now. Took the pads out again and the noise is from one of the wear-squealers (for want of a better term!) basically because pad material is low. The reason I didn't spot this last week was (a) because I was in a hurry and (b) the low pad material is only on the inside pad, and on one end of that. Basically the pad has worn tapered, with maybe 4-5mm on one end, and 3mm on the other. Not sure if thats normal or not?

So to anyone with this noise - check your pad wear carefully!

Anyway, now that I know I need a new set of pads I've snapped the squealers off.

Yoza - Yes, and err yes

Whip