Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brakes Squealing - Any ideas Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2001, 10:37 PM
Mike123
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I have a car with fixed caliper 2 piston front brakes ( 1 piston either side ) - recently I replaced the pads and discs as the old ones were near the end of their life. Ran them in carefully as per the instructions but after about 300 miles the pads would squeal constantly at low speeds (below about 25mph) if you weren't braking - but only when hot.As soon as any pressure on pedal the squeal stops. When cold they were silent. Took pads out - cleaned them - rubbed discs and pad faces with emery paper to break any glaze, smeared backs of pads and shims with copper grease. Also tried a red elastomer type stuff on back of pads and shims (to damp vibration that was possibly causing the squeal) after it was recommended by a motor factors. No joy....
Tiring of being stared at in car parks and driving slowly down road I decided to try another brand of pad. Switched to Pagid from EBC Green Stuff - these were fine for a couple of days and then the squealing has started again. Tonight have checked run out on discs with a dial gauge - seems fine - discs don't seem warped in any way, pistons in calipers move freely, no signs of brake overheating. Now someone has suggested to me it may be the disc material itself and that I should try another brand of disc. I've never had problems like this with brakes before (been driving 18 years.........not constantly !). Any one out there, maybe a mechanic, suggest anything before I replace the discs and pads yet again? Any help much appreciated as the squeal is driving me up the wall.
Old 18 July 2001, 11:29 PM
paul corrigan
Scooby Regular

all the scoobs i know squeak like mad at low speeds
had mine cleaned but squeak came back after a few hours
my car is in on thurs for it i will let u know what they say
paul
Old 19 July 2001, 08:40 PM
Mike123
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Paul, any advice would be most welcome. It's really driving me up the wall now. I don't want to replace the discs and pads again only to find out it was something easy to fix.
Old 20 July 2001, 12:56 AM
Toonman
Scooby Regular

I've had 3 Turbos (April '94, June '96 and April '98) and none have had brake squeal. That's 150,000 brake squeal free miles.
Old 20 July 2001, 05:24 AM
ROGERM
Scooby Regular

I AM USEING PAGID FAST ROAD PADS ON MY 1996
WRX 5 DOOR AND SUFFERING NO NOISE !
YOU DONT SAY WHAT COMPOUND YOU ARE USEING,
I AM RUNNING STANDARD DISC'S AT PRESENT IN GOOD NICK,I HAVE READ A PAGID BULLETIN AND THEY SAY TO STOP ANY SQUEAKING YOU SHOULD CHAMFER THE EDGE OF THE MATERIAL 45 DEGREES
IT MIGHT WORK !
ROGER FROM FRICTION WORKSHOP 01474 560031 I AM A PAGID DEALER AND CAN SUPPLY ANY OF THERE PRODUCTS, THIS SAID THE ABOVE IS TRUE
AND I AM A REAL SCOOBY NUT!! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by paul corrigan:
<B>all the scoobs i know squeak like mad at low speeds
had mine cleaned but squeak came back after a few hours
my car is in on thurs for it i will let u know what they say
paul[/quote]

Old 20 July 2001, 08:00 PM
paul corrigan
Scooby Regular

i got the car back on thurs. night to find a new set of disk and pads had been fitted.i had to pay for the pads but the disk were coverd by warranty. i was told the disk had uneven wear. the squeaks have now stopped ,
at last