Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

My brakes are pants!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2011, 09:48 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My brakes are pants!!!!

Since having my new rear discs and pads replaced my brakes have gone ****!!! Before (with new discs and pads on the front), they were spot on. They had a firm and `positive` feel to them and they `bit` nice and early .....now, spongey and no bite until the pedal is over halfway down (unless I pump the pedal once...every time. Even my girlfriend who drives it maybe once a month when I see her said they`re shi1t....even her FTO brakes are better now

I thought air ......... garage says no! He also said maybe it`s a hard compound and they need a lot of warming up. Well, I came back from my girlfriend`s in Kent yesterday (218 miles), so rather warmed up I reckon and still crap. On a couple of occasions it even felt like I wasnt` gonna stop (didn`t get chance to pump them)!!!

It`s not good I need some suggestions please
Old 24 January 2011, 09:58 AM
Doobs Scoob
Scooby Regular

Sounds to me like air in the system.. Bleed the brakes again and see if it still happens would be my first port of call.
Old 24 January 2011, 10:04 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Doobs Scoob
Sounds to me like air in the system.. Bleed the brakes again and see if it still happens would be my first port of call.
That`s the point, the garage said they didn`t need doing. Would it be worth asking him to do it anyway?

Just rang him and said I want it doing!!!!

Last edited by ScoobySteve69; 24 January 2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 24 January 2011, 10:12 AM
Doobs Scoob
Scooby Regular

Personally I would do it myself...At least that way you know its been done properly!
Old 24 January 2011, 10:26 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Personally I would do it myself...At least that way you know its been done properly!
Not something I`ve ever done TBH!
Old 24 January 2011, 10:33 AM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its either air in the system, or they're not bedded in properly yet.

As it was only a disc and pad change, no bleeding should have been neccessary. Have a check of the flexi hoses on the calipers making sure the garage haven't damaged them ,when changing the pads/discs, causing fluid loss

What pads have been fitted btw?
Old 24 January 2011, 10:41 AM
Doobs Scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
Not something I`ve ever done TBH!
In that case I would take it to the garage.. Or I am sure there are some people on here that would be happy to give you a hand.

Agreed with the above, technically the brakes don't need bleeding if you have just changed the pads and discs but most garages will bleed them... Maybe they sucked some air back into the system when doing it.
Old 24 January 2011, 10:57 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blu-scoob
or they're not bedded in properly yet.

What pads have been fitted btw?
They should be bedded in by now I`d have thought. They`re Kevlar pads.

In that case I would take it to the garage.. Or I am sure there are some people on here that would be happy to give you a hand.

Agreed with the above, technically the brakes don't need bleeding if you have just changed the pads and discs but most garages will bleed them... Maybe they sucked some air back into the system when doing it.
I`ll have to see what he finds on Thursday when I take it in
Old 27 January 2011, 02:39 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

The brakes have been bled, no air but one of the nipples snapped off and he`s recommended having all four calipers `machined` now, including rethreading the bolt threads cos Brembos are known for being soft and threads stripping), anyway, there`s also no play in the hubs/bearings (they were fitted at the same time). The only thing it can be in his opinion is a slight warp in the discs which is slightly pushing the pads too far away from the discs hence the need to pump the brake pedal almost every time I brake!!!!
Old 23 May 2011, 12:56 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

They`ve been bled, no leaks so after reading a few negative posts from others about the same pads I`m using I`ve ordered some Bluestuffs. I`ll let ya know what happens when they`re on
Old 24 May 2011, 06:55 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your pedal is going down to far, and you are sure all the air is out, get them to measure the disc runout with a dial gauge, pads not fully bedded in should not cause the pedal to travel to far, warped disc will cause vibration under braking.
Old 24 May 2011, 07:11 PM
classicgc8
Scooby Regular

hi can you get access to a pair of flexi brake hose clamps?
suggest you clamp off the rear flexis one at a time (if they are only standard and not braided that is )
if all of a sudden the pedal travel is fine you may be able to determine if air is in one of the calipers or issue with which corner,
if you clamp off both rear and the pedal is poor you could have a master cylinder issue
,suggest repeat at front and see if improves it that way.
Old 24 May 2011, 07:32 PM
matth76
Scooby Regular

Let us know how you get on with pad change as I need some new pads soon and might give these Kevlar ones a miss although I can't believe the pads alone would be that bad as you've tested them warmed up and no difference. It definitely isn't a warped disc as would have thought you'd get serious vibration. How come you needed a disc change.. were the old ones quite bad? Strange that it all happened after the garage changed them. Definitely take it back and get them to fix the issue as it wasnt there before and don't pay a penny. Sounds like they've made a mistake somewhere. Good luck with it mate.
Old 24 May 2011, 07:36 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Wouldn`t think the discs are warped, they`re new all round. Pads have arrived anyway so I`ll get them fitted next week and see.
Old 25 May 2011, 03:58 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eprom
If your pedal is going down to far, and you are sure all the air is out, get them to measure the disc runout with a dial gauge, pads not fully bedded in should not cause the pedal to travel to far.
Just changing my rear pads and discs made the pedal VERY spongy. 2 weeks normal road use and one track day later and the pedal came up and my brakes are now awesome!
Old 08 June 2011, 03:36 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Just to update: since fitting new Bluestuff pads to the rears, my brakes are back to normal again You get what you pay for obviously
Old 12 June 2011, 05:17 PM
matth76
Scooby Regular

Sounds good. Glad you got it sorted . I've heard good things about Bluestuff. I'm having EBC "Yellowstuff" fitted next weekend. I think they're not quite as hardcore as Bluestuff but still provide much better fast road breaking than the stock/standard pads. Apparently most of the police force use EBC.
Old 14 June 2011, 04:45 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matth76
Sounds good. Glad you got it sorted . I've heard good things about Bluestuff. I'm having EBC "Yellowstuff" fitted next weekend. I think they're not quite as hardcore as Bluestuff but still provide much better fast road breaking than the stock/standard pads. Apparently most of the police force use EBC.
If they`re anything like the Redstuffs they`ll be very `dusty`
Old 15 June 2011, 05:20 PM
555man
Scooby Regular

Oh bollocks I just got those disc and kevlar pads from godspeed in the offer thought they were supposed to be not bad gotta be better than what I got?
Old 15 June 2011, 09:55 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

New compound redstuff are not dusty IMHO. I got em all round on my WRX but I will swap to Yellows when need new pads. Not sure I rate the reds. May even go back to Pagid Blues