Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Excessive wear on one tyre

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2011, 03:11 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive wear on one tyre

I've noticed that the rear near side tyre tread was looking a little low, but when I checked the tread on the others I was a bit surprised to see that it was significantly lower than the others. I'd noticed a bit of vibration at certain speeds, which usually tells me that either the pressure is out, or excessive wear.

The tread depths are

Front Near Side - 3.15mm
Front Off Side - 3.14mm
Rear Near Side - 1.7mm
Rear Off Side - 3.54mm

Pressures are 36psi accross the four, and I've always run that, due to carrying a fair amount of stuff in the boot.

06 STi Spec D with Prodrive Springs and Good Year F1 Asymetricals which have covered around 20k since being fitted as a set of 4, but I have had the rear shocks replaced with OE STi shocks recently.

All four usually wear at a roughly even rate, and I usually get 25k off a set. The wear on all the current tyres is consistent across the tread pattern, except the front near side, which is scrubbed on the outside shoulder - plenty of roundabouts near me and that is usual.

Can anyone offer a suggestion why the rear near side should wear considerably more (but evenly) compared to the other 3 ? Suspension Issue ?

Thanks

Gareth
Old 15 June 2011, 05:18 PM
grahamfrary
Scooby Regular

Even wear wouuld seem to rule out camber or balance problems. Only thing I can think of is tracking which could be out on that wheel.
Old 15 June 2011, 10:10 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the suggestion Graham, I'll have the garage check the tracking, and see if they can offer any other possibilities.
I'll need to sort something soon as the RNS tyre is virtually illegal, but have to decide whether to just change a pair, or all four.