Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

£120 - £280 for brakes labour?

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2010, 05:31 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default £120 - £280 for brakes labour?

Im looking to get new discs and pads fitted all round and have been phoning around for quotes. Prices range from £120 from a local independent, £170 from The racing line, who seem to know a bit more about Scoobs and £280 from the main dealer.

Does anyone know whether there would be any benefit in going to either of the more expensive places or is changing scooby brakes just like any other cars and paying more would be money down the drain?
Old 21 March 2010, 05:59 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Do it yourself if you feel confident, its not a tough job. If not, see if there are any other enthusiasts round your way who could help you/you could help.
Old 21 March 2010, 07:34 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I was considering looking in to it. Never done anything like that before. Is there any great skill involved or is it just time consuming? I.e. Could I look up a how to on you tube and copy? being a novice I don't really want mess up my braking.
Old 21 March 2010, 07:40 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Not a major job, just a dirty ballache! I dont know if there is a youtube how to, but there might be one on here with pics if you do a search.
Old 21 March 2010, 07:50 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

I too had new disc's & pads, but along with braided lines and new brake fluid, my local specilaist charged £120+vat to do all that, my main dealer wanted £485 lol said to them your having a laugh aren't you.

Was going to do the disc's/pads myself, but becuase I had the other parts thought sod get someone who has done it a thousand times.
Old 21 March 2010, 07:51 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Is it a case of taking off the wheel. knowing what bolts to undo on the calipers, taking that off, undo bolts on the disc itself and sliding off? do you need to change/disconnect the brake fluid?
Old 21 March 2010, 09:40 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Is Ibiza a wish? If so where abouts are you a someone may offer to help you.
Old 21 March 2010, 09:49 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I've lived there for the last 3years in Santa Eulalia. We've just moved back to England for a few months but have to go back for the summer unfortunately. Although labour is cheaper out there the standard of workmanship makes UK garages look 5*
Old 21 March 2010, 10:08 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Jack up, wheel off. Wire clip off, retainer clip out, fluid res lid off and use adjustable pliers to push back the piston using the face of the old pad. Slide out the old pads. The calipers are held on by two large allen nuts and are usually very tight, so be careful not to round the nut or allen key. With the calipers off and hanging on their pipes (support them ideally, a DIY bent wire 'S' hanger to hook them over the spring is good) remove the disc. The discs are mainly held on by the wheel nuts, with a small grub nut holding them in place whilst the wheel is removed, so a large Philips screwdriver is needed to remove the grub. They may be stubborn and required a few taps with a hammer to free them. Give everything a good clean up with brake cleaner and maybe a wire brush, then locate the new disc and pop the grub back in, adding a dot of copper-slip to every nut as you replace it to make it easier next time. Refit the caliper, and slide in the new pads with a coating of CS on the back face, refit the retainer and wire clip. Double-check tightness and pop the wheel on.Once both done, start up and pump the brake pedal a few times (making sure the fluid res cap is back on) until it feels firm, then have a gentle drive to test, taking things extra cautiously until everything feels as it should.
Old 23 March 2010, 04:52 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much for that. Im tempted to give it ago, as it sounds relatively straight forward how you've spelt it out but the guy at Hebdon Bridge(cant remember his name) has offered the lot for £50 which is a nice option to have.
Old 24 March 2010, 12:26 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Howard at HDC Good bloke who does a top job and doesn't rip anyone off.