Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Lack of grip with news tires.

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2007, 12:03 AM
gazmcd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lack of grip with news tires.

I have just put goodyear F1's on my sti v2 with 17 inch wheels. There seems a lot less grip than when I had toyos on 16? What going on? Done about 200 miles on the new tires hasn't got any better they are very bad in the wet.
Old 20 November 2007, 02:13 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

You may want to check the pressures? I run f1's on mine and there pretty good infact id say better than the previous toyos i had.

You may want to invest £15 or so in a decent gauge from the likes of halfauds. I was having difficulty with mine using the local garage machine. It just felt to hard. After i bought a guage i found the garage one to be 15 psi out. Hence i was running 49psi instead of the 34 i thought i was.

Last edited by Turbotits; 20 November 2007 at 02:16 AM.
Old 20 November 2007, 06:22 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits
You may want to check the pressures? I run f1's on mine and there pretty good infact id say better than the previous toyos i had.

You may want to invest £15 or so in a decent gauge from the likes of halfauds. I was having difficulty with mine using the local garage machine. It just felt to hard. After i bought a guage i found the garage one to be 15 psi out. Hence i was running 49psi instead of the 34 i thought i was.
bloody hell.

i use the digital thingy ma bob at either tescos or asdas. hopefully thats more accurate.

run my toyo t1r 215/410/17s at 34 front 32 rear
Old 20 November 2007, 07:22 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like they still need scrubbing in to me. F1's are renowned for being superb in the wet.
Old 20 November 2007, 08:12 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
bloody hell.

i use the digital thingy ma bob at either tescos or asdas. hopefully thats more accurate.

run my toyo t1r 215/410/17s at 34 front 32 rear

No!!! i was using a digital one at sainsburys. Cos i had this problem, over the last months ive done some checks and i recon 4 out of 5 are incorrect.
Old 20 November 2007, 08:28 AM
Herbie.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
Sounds like they still need scrubbing in to me. F1's are renowned for being superb in the wet.
^^^ what he said
Old 20 November 2007, 08:42 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

I used these tyres once - I wasn't impressed enough to use them again.
Having said that, they were fine in the wet from the first day.
I'd have thought 200 miles was sufficient to scrub them.
Assuming pressures and allignment are correct, I guess I would give them another 200.
There was a thread on here a while ago about some one selling F1s that were bought in from the far east that were not suited to use in colder climes, but that was quite a while ago. Would explain the symptoms though.
Old 20 November 2007, 09:28 AM
gazmcd
Scooby Regular

I will check the tire presure, I hope it's just that. I bought the tires from Camskill about a month ago so hopefully there not dodgy imports. Will have to give them a couple of hundred more mile and see if they improve.
Old 20 November 2007, 01:56 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

If they are anything like my toyo t1-s's, give them a good 500miles to scrub in.
At first, they didn't inspire much confidence at all, very little grip, especially at the front end. In the last few weeks though (500miles+), they have been sticking like glue. Very grippy and very predictable. I'll never role my eyes when a racing driver moans about his tyres again!
Old 20 November 2007, 02:37 PM
Gangle
Scooby Regular

Everyone personal opinons on tyre choices will differ. But I agree the Toyo with the radial strip TR1 R's I thought were better with grip and in the wet than the Good Years. Gave me more confidiance all round. But Will say again, your never going to get people to agree on that one.
Old 20 November 2007, 02:46 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazmcd
I will check the tire presure, I hope it's just that. I bought the tires from Camskill about a month ago so hopefully there not dodgy imports. Will have to give them a couple of hundred more mile and see if they improve.
If you got them from Camskill they will be cool.
Bear in mind that temps have dropped over the last week or two, and this will effect the grip levels in wet and dry conds.
Old 20 November 2007, 03:58 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
If you got them from Camskill they will be cool.
Bear in mind that temps have dropped over the last week or two, and this will effect the grip levels in wet and dry conds.
^^^^ exactly. ive noticed i cant take any bends like i could a month ago. too slippery and greasy from the cold on the roads. thats with toyos too.
Old 20 November 2007, 04:23 PM
JohnS

The Goodyears do have quite soft sidewalls which means htat they can feel quite a biut softer/spongier around corners than other tyres. The grip is there, but when you turn into a corner it feels as though there isn't the same level of grip, and your confidence suffers a bit as a result. It does take a few hundred miles to acclimatise/get used to this feeling. It may help if you bump up the tyre pressures a bit to help counteract the softer sidewalls.

I've had 3 sets of F1s on Imprezas in the past, and found that somewhere around 36psi front/34psi rear gave the best compromise between grip/ride quality and feeling through the steering wheel.

John
Old 20 November 2007, 05:50 PM
winker
Scooby Regular

Default tyre pressures

hi unless u are doing motorway driving try dropping the pressures to 28 rear 33 front.
Old 20 November 2007, 06:27 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Originally Posted by winker
hi unless u are doing motorway driving try dropping the pressures to 28 rear 33 front.
you need slightly higher pressure than usual in winter, to compensate for the tyres not being able to get warmed up. (unable to expand much etc) IIRC