Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

the warp factor dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2001, 08:20 AM
roblane
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Three months after my oem disks were replaced under warranty because of being warped the familiar judder and steering wobble under braking has returned to haunt me. I really don't want another set of oem disk as confidence is understandably low so a few questions pose themselves.

Are EBC greestuffs really too much for the OEM disks to handle even with my pussyfooted road driving?

Can I persuade my (any) dealer to help me upgrade under warranty ie give me some prodrive disks but at RRP minus the cost of replacing the OEM disks? (if anyone has managed to do this tell me where)

If I go the 3rd party route, eg godspeed etc, which I have to say is tempting, will I be able to resell the disks / kit in say 6 months (~ 4K miles) at a reasonable loss? (there's an even chance I'll be scoobyless in 6 months but thats another story)

Is it possible the disks aren't warped at all and that there is just an uneven build up of cr*p on them which is the cause?

Will switching pads have any effect, if so what to? This is also tempting as the ebc's have proved not quite so dustless as advertised so if I'm gonna have grubby wheels I mite as well get some braking effort for me money!

Ta for any comments
Old 19 December 2001, 11:34 AM
Nigel R Smith
Scooby Regular

I have had my standard disc's replaced and my dealer Donalds of Peterborough tried to get me the upgrade but could not.
They did however say that if the disc's go again then they would sort the upgrade themselfs.
If you think you are going to be scoobyless within 6 months why not just get the standard replacement and save your money!

Nigel
Old 19 December 2001, 11:18 PM
lizzard
Scooby Regular

Roblane,
Do a search for "EBC BRAKES" on this site and then do the same search on www.impreza-rs.com and then you decide if using the EBC greens or reds are worth it.
I was going to order a set but after reading the nightmares that people have had I have decided to buy the original pads. They may not be the best and they sure do dust up a lot, but I prefer that to buying new rotors (discs) every time I change the pads