Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Coroded rear disks (again)!

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2001, 06:36 PM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had minor service, aka Oil change, done and they advised that the rear pads are only using 50% of the disk and that the disks are corroding (because they are not being scrubbed clean).

This was the case when I got the car 2 years ago, UK95, and I had the disks / pads changed. This means the brakes are not working efficiently and the dealer said they are also finding the same with cars that are only 3 years old.

At the next service I could replace them again but is it worth it? If the rears only do 15% braking and only operating at 50% there is not much overall loss.

Anyone else got rears doing the same?

Paul
Old 17 October 2001, 06:54 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

basically who ever services it aint doing a good enough job cos every 15,000 mls when we go in to the brakes we have the carrier off and just file the build up of rust out of where the pad shims sit clean these as well with a wire brush along with the pads copper slip the edges and build it back up this then prevents the pads seizing and always allow full pressure from the pads on to the discs and hey presto no more rusted discs. for an extra 15 mins it saves a lot of expense to the customer im sure most people would rather pay for this extra time then have to fork out for new discs and pads when it's such a simple fix
Old 18 October 2001, 11:25 AM
spender
Scooby Regular

Talking

My rear disks are corroded over 50% of the surface.
I'm going totry what you've suggested tomorrow.
This is what Scoobynet is all about - useful tips and info.

Cheers
Old 20 October 2001, 11:09 PM
bruce
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Scoobyboy, thanks for the advice. My rear brakes have now started to work properly and are cleaning the crap off the discs. The pedal feel is better as well.
Old 22 October 2001, 08:56 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Question

Scoobyboy or Bruce

Did you have to remove the discs from the car to clean the ridge off? What did you use to remove the ridge on edge of disc?

My dealer advised me at my last service that my rear discs would need changed at next service. I reckon I would get away with this "clean up" as the car has only done 34K miles!

Cheers

Den
Old 23 October 2001, 11:58 AM
bruce
Scooby Regular

Cool

The pads on my car are the ones that came with it from Japan. So they fit the discs in the state that they are. Only now that I have cleaned the pad seats, springs and also the slots in the pads the corrosion is starting to clear up.
Old 23 October 2001, 07:46 PM
necromax
Scooby Regular

I have a similar problem with my Terzo, disks were corroded when I collected the car, and I get an annoying squeak when it gets hot, particularly below 35 mph. If I apply brake it stops. Its been back twice so far, they did clean up and copper grease the first time, did not work, last time they replaced brake pads. I'm insisting on new disks now, and maybe even new calipers... any comments/feedback welcome, I want them to resolve it once and for all when it next goes in.
Old 27 October 2001, 10:44 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Back to top to get more replies hopefully

Den
Old 28 October 2001, 09:33 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

ok yes it's easier to take the discs off to clean up the ridge of rust most times it will tap off with a small hammer sometimes i do have to put a grinder to it if it's a bit stubborn. if the brakes squeak or squeal a bit clean every thing up as i said in my previous post but also deglaze the pads with some course wet n dry they will be shiny when you take them out a bit of a rub and they will look like new pads with a dull finish to them copper slip it all then reassemble it usally works if it doesnt then replace the pads some times they get cooked because they were tight.

oops sorry you have replaced them!

[Edited by scoobyboy - 10/28/2001 9:35:56 AM]
Old 28 October 2001, 01:01 PM
necromax
Scooby Regular

Lol.. yes, they replaced pads on last visit, did not fix it, and they cleaned them up on the previous visit. Its going in Tuesday, I'm talking to them tomorrow. I think new disks for definite. Will discuss calipers too... I am convinced I have a lazy caliper, and I'm certainly not prepared for them to 'try' to clean them up again. Of course, would help if they road tested when its hot, so they can hear the problem, instead of waiting for it to cool, working on it, quick road test... then, "..yes sir, that seems to have done the trick...' duh? Do they ever listen ?
Old 28 October 2001, 08:36 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

another thought they havn't over adjusted the hand brake have they i've done 1 where it glazed the h'brake shoes and when hot every thing expanded and they just touched the drum i ended up changing the drum , shoes , and cable before i cured it.
Old 31 October 2001, 11:07 AM
necromax
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the tips. I suggested the handbrake issue when I took it in, so they have basically replaced the disks, replaced the pads (again) and completely stripped out everything, including the handbrake pads. They have copper greased EVERYTHING, and I mean its everywhere. When I got back from the garage, the good news was that it actually looks like the pads are making contact with the disk now (they did not seem to be before) but while I was stuck in the usual 10-20mph crawl that is often referred to as the M6 I still got an annoying squeak (the kind a wheelbarrow makes). I'm going to let it all bed in a little, and see what happens. There is a line of copper grease on the disk which I thought might be was is squeaking now.. have to wait and see I guess.