Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Tyres - Avon ZZ3 or Toyo T1R

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2005, 03:26 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyres - Avon ZZ3 or Toyo T1R

I'm in need of some 225/40/18's in the very near future and have seen some good prices on www.caskill.co.uk

They are doing the Avon's at a very good proce at present - £83 delivered.

Can anyone please comment on these and especially interested if people have experienced both of them.

I know the T1R's are very good - but a little concerned on the life of Toyo's - have T1S at the mo and they haven't lasted very long compared to the Pirelli P Zero's I had originally.

Also seen the Kumho KU15's which also look very good and are at a good price.

Cheers

Terry
Old 15 October 2005, 04:53 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Avons are cheap for a reason ......
Old 15 October 2005, 11:49 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Had Avon ZZ3's on the wifes last car a 2003 Astra GSI turbo - they were very poor in terms of longevity, they were good in dry weather and so/so in wet. Really would not recommend them. Last ones I had fitted to that car were Dunlop sp9000 and they were only a tenner more and were far superior.

Am looking to replace all 4 on our latest car a 53 plate STI PPP - so far all the local Tyre fitters have recommended Bridgestone re040's or michelin ps2's.

Paul
Old 17 October 2005, 08:09 AM
COF139
Scooby Regular

I have recently changed all 4 from RE040's to Goodyear GSD3's (STI 8 PPP).

There is no question that the Goodyears are better. The RE040's suffered from bad tramlining, and really did not like painted white lines in the wet.

Both of these problems seem to have been totally eradicated with the Goodyear's.
Old 17 October 2005, 09:14 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Performance wise I think the ZZ3 is better than the TI-S, especially in the damp. They are very progressive too near the limit. This was on 16" rims. I can't tell you how long they will last since I still have them in the garage, but I've done about 6k miles and there is about 4-5mm left.

At the moment I have a set of 17" rims with T1-S on, but for the winter I feel they are so slippy in the damp I'll be going back to the ZZ3s, can't comment on the T1-R, but why people raved about the T1-S's I don't know
Old 17 October 2005, 01:25 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

I've just changed my wheels from standard 17" to Rota GRA 18".

I had Michelin PS on the back and Toyos T1-S's on the front (both 215/45/ZR17). I have to admit the front felt a little 'nervous' at times in the wet.

My new wheels have come with Avon ZZ3's all round (225/40/ZR18) but I cannot give you an accurate update yet because they have only covered a handful of miles so are not worn in yet.

Be interested to hear other opinions though.....
Old 17 October 2005, 02:47 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

I ran T1-S and replaced them with ZZ3.

Performance was very similar both in term of absolute grip and also progressive breakaway characteristics etc. Both were good in the dry, good in heavy wet and average when the road was "mildly moist."

I think the Toyos may of had a tad more grip but only a gnat's **** in it and that's probably because they were a little bit softer.

The ZZ3 were quite a bit cheaper and so better value in my mind. Also they had stiffer sidewalls giving sharper turn in and even though actually the same size as the Toyos, thety felt like a lower profile tyre. Despite this there was never any tramlining like with some of the stiffer sidewall tyres eg Bridgestones. T1-S didn't tramline either though.

Sorry - not had the T1-R.

Last edited by Boost II; 17 October 2005 at 02:49 PM.
Old 17 October 2005, 03:48 PM
KEVWRX95
Scooby Regular

Location: West Sussex-Scoob stripped :( Hello Audi A6 4.2V8 Quattro :)
Question ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Terryb

I also am looking into buying new wheels and have been offered the choice of Avon ZZ3 and Toyo T1S for the same price.

So like you I don't know which one to go for.......and after reading the replies I'm still non the wiser

Kev
Old 18 October 2005, 06:51 AM
coolgrey sti
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by KEVWRX95
Terryb

I also am looking into buying new wheels and have been offered the choice of Avon ZZ3 and Toyo T1S for the same price.

So like you I don't know which one to go for.......and after reading the replies I'm still non the wiser

Kev
I have been using Avon ZZ3 s on my sti 5 since january this year. They have excellent grip in the dry and very good grip in the wet, very progressive. I have covered 6000 plus miles in them so far. The rears still have plenty of tread on them and the fronts are about half worn. They may be inexpensive but they are an excellent tyre and one I would choose again. The last few days it has been raining heavily (hampshire) and I can't fault them for grip through heavy water, gives you confidence, even when caning it ! By the way they are 205 45 x 17's .

Last edited by coolgrey sti; 18 October 2005 at 06:54 AM.
Old 18 October 2005, 08:28 PM
chrisgarner
Scooby Regular

go for the zz3s m8.
Old 18 October 2005, 09:13 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by russell hayward
Avons are cheap for a reason ......
And that is?

I swapped the Toyo T1s for ZZ3's on my STi (225/40-18) and they seem fine. Turn-in is good and they're a tad quieter too! The effective tread width is greater than the Toyo which seemed quite stretched on the 8" wide PFF7 rim. I havn't had much chance to assess the wet grip level, but that aside, I'm prefering the ZZ3 at the moment.

JohnD
Old 18 October 2005, 09:14 PM
dean harris
Scooby Regular

Hi Terry,
I have used both and would say there's not alot to choose between them,both have very good grip and I would say last the same amount of time,but I suppose it would depend on what your asking from them.
I would say the T1-R doesn't stand upto a metal bar going through the sidewall,Oh no that's just what happens when the wife drives the car(New tyre aswell)
Regards
Dean