Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

New Pad & Disk Bedding (EBC Red Stuff)

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2005, 10:47 AM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Pad & Disk Bedding (EBC Red Stuff)

I've searched & found plenty on the method for bedding in new disks & pads, but how long will it take to overcome the initial rotor to pad noise that I can hear when normal driving?

ie.. I can hear the pads rubbing against the new disks at all speeds.. I'm assuming this will go when they've bedded, so is it normal?
Old 12 February 2005, 01:58 PM
Flat Faw
Scooby Regular

Hi Alan,

I've just replaced front pads and when warm, one side is making a metally scrapey noise. Don't know if I've put em in wrong, but I thought they either go in or they don't. Was about to strip em down again before I read your post.

Can you describe what yours sound like using non dictionary adjectives?

Cheers

Martin

p.s. will return to the meets once nights are lighter
Old 12 February 2005, 03:24 PM
S2_Neo
Scooby Regular

Once you have fitted your new pads, to bed them in, go down a quiet lane and stop from about 50mph - 0mph.

Reapeat this about 3-4 times, and all should be fine.

If there is any noise still occuring, it should go after a few long drives.

Fitting pads is very easy to do, if you pads have a leading edge then make sure to fit them toward the rotation of the disc. If you pads do not have any markings, then it should mention where they go on the actual pads themselves.

Im figuring your getting good performance from your brakes although your getting noise from them, if not, then strip them, and have a good look to see if there is a problem.

Hope this help's!

Peter
Old 12 February 2005, 04:03 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Martin - If you press the pedal VERY LIGHTLY so that the pad just starts brushing agains the disk, then you'll hear a 'swishing' noise... I get this all the time at the moment so I'm assuming its the fact that the tolerences are such that you'd expect a little light brushing of pads to disk initially... especially as the Red Stuff pads have a protective coating.

Looking forward to seeing you at the TP when you can make it down...

Neo - The prformance is good but I'd rather bed them in more gently as most of the threads tend to lean this way rather than 'forcing' them to bed in... I'll give it a few more day and check.. then it may be a bit more of a 'sprited' drive as you suggest Chers mate.
Old 12 February 2005, 10:46 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I would'nt recommend applying the brakes to hard during the 500mile, bedding in period. If you do, you may create an uneven surface on the pad. I've done 3000 miles since fitting the pads, and can remember the 'rubbing noise' dissappearing at around 1000miles. Small price to pay, with the turbo grooved discs, braking is now much stronger, and inspires confidence when 'messing around'!
Old 13 February 2005, 12:47 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Flat Faw. The scrapey thing you describe is exactly what i had last week. I fitted some Redstuff to my 1 year old Godspeed disks. The scrapey noise would only occur when cornering to the right. I stripped my NS brakes and found nowt wrong. Rebuit them and the noise was still there. It got me to thinking that i had more serious problems (cv joint etc). Anyway - 250 miles down the road and the noise has dissapeared
Old 13 February 2005, 01:31 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Brun. I noticed the same thing whilst cornering... I'm hoping that between your 250 & Chris's 1K it should all be OK...
Old 13 February 2005, 06:35 PM
S2_Neo
Scooby Regular

The only reason I mentioned about Braking hard is becase that is exactly what we do at Landrover.

I cant see any problems with it, beds them in just fine!

Peter
Old 04 March 2008, 10:04 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

just to revive an old tread from the grave, I've just fitted some EBC Turbo grooved discs & reds, I'm getting a "swishing" noise at most speeds that goes away when the pedal is applied. looks like this should go - fingers crossed.
Old 05 March 2008, 07:13 PM
N602 WRX
Scooby Regular

I bed my brakes in abit different!! I do it about 10 times ,braking from 60 -10mph never coming to a stop, with each slowing down getting abit firmer with the pedal. Then i let them cool completely.
After that the disks and pads have reached there maximum working temps then there bedded as far as im concerned! Never had a problem!
The never coming to a complete stop thing avoids pad transfer with hot disks.

Last edited by N602 WRX; 06 March 2008 at 08:03 PM. Reason: wording
Old 05 March 2008, 10:30 PM
N602 WRX
Scooby Regular

A bit of info
[url=http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedinperformance.shtml]StopTech : Bhttp://www.centricparts.com/Centric%20White%20Paper%20C2-Bed-In%2

Last edited by N602 WRX; 05 March 2008 at 10:43 PM. Reason: information
Old 06 March 2008, 04:29 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same swishing and squealing with red stuff pads and the ebc grooved disks. It only went away when I changed the pads which didn't take long as they were worn down to nothing within about 4000 miles.
Old 07 March 2008, 10:16 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon
just to revive an old tread from the grave, I've just fitted some EBC Turbo grooved discs & reds, I'm getting a "swishing" noise at most speeds that goes away when the pedal is applied. looks like this should go - fingers crossed.

Nope if you mean by that faint buzzy swish sound when the brakes aren't being used, thats there to stay. It will get quieter as they bed in, but its a "normal" noise for the turbo groove disks - its the grooves machined into the disc that causes this - they'll get quieter when they fill up with caked brake dust (kind of defeats the point of them, but hey ho )

Next question will be after they are bedded in, asking if that loud groaning/maoning noise which happens when braking very hard from 70+ is normal. Yes, that is too. Although different pad compounds do reduce this.