Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

P Zero Nero's: Asymetric or not?

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2004, 05:40 PM
hugo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P Zero Nero's: Asymetric or not?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I have MY03 STi PPP with PFF7's and the above tyres. Have recently done a back to front swap. I realise they are directional and was planning getting them off the rims and doing left to right swap soon (local track has mainly right handers and near side front takes a bashing!). Dealer says they are asymetric and cant do left to right swaps. I didn't think this was the case, although not sure. Can anyone clarify?
Ta,
Hugh.
Old 18 December 2004, 08:13 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

top of my head they are asymmmetrical ,i had a set on my p1-look it up on mytyres etc
martin
where were you today?got my new brakes!
Old 19 December 2004, 10:22 AM
T-gro
Scooby Regular

The P-Zero's have "inner" and "outer" on the sidewall to tell you which way they should rotate, so you won't be able to turn a tyre around on the rim, although you could put it on the other side of the car.
Old 19 December 2004, 12:50 PM
hugo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T-gro
The P-Zero's have "inner" and "outer" on the sidewall to tell you which way they should rotate, so you won't be able to turn a tyre around on the rim, although you could put it on the other side of the car.
If 'outer' means that it should always face away from the cars midline then surely this means that you cant put it on the other side i.e. they are assymetric. If you did put it on the other side and kept the 'outer' face to the outside (in this case you would simply be taking of the wheel and putting it on the other side) then the tyre will be rotating in the wrong direction (i.e. facing backwards) relative to what it was on the other side. In order to avoid this change in 'directionality' you would have to remove the tyres from their rims and then swap sides. In this case the 'inner' sides would then be facing out. If you ask me this assymetric lark may indeed be 'tyre technology' to provide better performance from the outside edge of the tread but conveniently you will have to buy tyres more frequently! Call me cynical!

When you buy PZero Nero's do you have to specify left or right?
Old 19 December 2004, 04:03 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

no you would get a set of 4 but it would depend on who fitted them,during one of my cheapo deals at sh*t fit i had to tell them to change two of the tyres as the inner was on the outer-muppets .there is also an arrow on the tyres telling you which way it is supposed to turn.
martin
Old 19 December 2004, 04:27 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

It doesn't matter which way you fit them as long as you have "outer" to the outside! They aren't directional.
Old 19 December 2004, 05:08 PM
mark6
Scooby Regular

the pzero rosso and the pzero rosso are just asymetrical and not directional so as long as the side facing outwards side is obviously facing outwards it can rotate either way,these type of tyres tend to have reinforced sidewalls on the outside and wider tread blocks to stop the rubber tread twisting on the tyre when cornering ect which improves handling and responsiveness and thinner tread blocks and wider grooves on the inside to help resist aquaplaning,this type of tyre is designed in a way to act like a shaved tyre,less tread less squirm,its the PZero System Directionale that has a side facing outwards and a direction it has to rotate and these tyres have to be ordered by n/s/f or o/s/f ect and are often found on top end porches and ferrari's ect.