Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Pagid's or Ferodo's?

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2004, 01:19 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Pagid's or Ferodo's?

Apologies if this has been done before but which is best for superior road braking for an Sti7 (MYo2)? I'm concerned that the Ferodo's might squeal a lot and take time to heat up (especially in the winter) leading to poorer braking performance.

Views from people who have used these pads are most welcome.

Thanks

WB

PS Now that the old Scoobysport is no more any suggestions as to a decent supplier please?
Old 15 July 2004, 08:24 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

you don't mention which material from either manufacturer.......................for an example i'll use Ferodo ds2500 and the Pagid rs4.2.1, similiar materials aimed at the same sort of use..................

in very general terms the ds2500 is cheaper, however we find that normally you can get slightly more life from the rs4.2.1..............both are reasonable from cold with the Pagid just having more "cold bite" and a more linear friction versus temp. progression................at full temp. there is little difference between the two maybe again the Pagid slightly edges ahead although this is marginal.............

personal view is to pay the extra for the Pagid's however you will find both pads perform well (my own feelings are that the Pagid offers more pedal "feel" when at or near the limit of the tyre and is easier to modulate)

hope this helps, is you want any more info. or indeed any products then there is always some free advice and a "deal" to be had

alyn - asperformance.com
Old 15 July 2004, 09:36 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as long as your not "at the limit" on the brakes, go ds25000. They can leave a bit of deposit on the disks if you REALLY cane them though
Old 15 July 2004, 09:44 AM
sapkan
Scooby Regular

have pagids RS421s on MY03 WRX, cold bite not as good as standart but close, better as they heat up. They can take some thrashing but they squeal a lot around town in traffic
Old 15 July 2004, 08:45 PM
spikus1969
BANNED

Default pads

try the ebc new ceramic redstuff or at least get a quote for them let me know and ill give you the place to try nice and cheap
alot of people raving about the reds
Old 15 July 2004, 08:57 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Default More Questions

Guys,

Thanks for the responses, most appreciated. Seems there's no getting away from the squealing on either Pagids or Ferodo's or is there a solution to hand (light copperslip perhaps or a no-no)? Alyn does make a compelling case for the Pagids and I know these were favourites of Pete Croney at the late Scoobysport.

Any more comments before I take the jump? Alyn I assume you supply these pads and that you have a website I can take a peek at?

Cheers

WB
Old 15 July 2004, 10:22 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

It may help to know what application- just fast road, or fast road / track etc....

I have used Pagids for a while now- on road and track, and whilst they aren't the cheapest they are certainly one of the best.

I have used DS2500s also, but wear is always a concern. If used with grooved disks such as Tarox they can wear at a quite alaming rate, although I am prepared to accept that this could be the fault of the disk and not the pad.

I don't think you should have a warming up problem with either pad.

Give Alyn a call and get yourself a bargain.
Old 15 July 2004, 10:28 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

yes...............always in signature.................www.asperformance.com..............

cheers (p.s. think you'll find a pleasant suprise re; cost if you bought from Pete!!)

alyn - asperformance.com
Old 15 July 2004, 10:30 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

RRh,

Thanks. Its for fast road use (I sometimes don't hang about) and to stop me having a heart attack every time I use the standard STi7 pads in earnest! I intend to have a chat with Alyn, however I'm still trying to get to the bottom of this squealing business.

The car is loud enough without an additional aural track akin to the sound of a thousand mice on heat!
Old 15 July 2004, 10:32 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Alyn,

Thanks, will have a look in a minute!
Old 15 July 2004, 10:35 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

how worn are the pads? you may well find that they have just glazed up.

it might be worth you removing them and de-glazing to see if that sorts it. I have run several STi7s and 8s (9s?) on road and track and have not had major probs with the standard brake setup- nor have I had many squeally problems.

put a little copper grease on the back of each pad when you put them back in- it should sort it out nicely (keep it off your hands as its not nice or healthy)- then go to Alyn if it doesn't or when you need new ones.
Old 15 July 2004, 10:48 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

RRH,

Apologies. The squealing issue I'm trying to bottom out isn't to do with the standard pads, rather its to do with the suggestion being made that both Ferodo's and Pagid's suffer from this characteristic.

To answer your question re wear and tear my pads are now 20K miles on from brand new. I have never ever had the level of confidence in the Sti brakes as I had with, say, my old wagon, even though most people rate the Brembo setup very highly.

WB
Old 15 July 2004, 10:50 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Alyn,

Just been onto your website. Will call you during business hours to discuss further.

B
Old 16 July 2004, 06:04 PM
spikus1969
BANNED

SHOULDNT GET ANY SQUEAL PROBS WITH THE ebc RED CERAMICS AS ALL FITTED WITH SHIMS AND ARE SHAMMFERED WHICH ALSO REDUCES NOISE FROM THE PADS
Old 16 July 2004, 11:36 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Spikus,

Thanks (you had your caps key on). So who else has any first hand experience of the EBC items, how much do they cost, how do they compare with the Pagids/Ferodos?

WB
Old 17 July 2004, 08:19 AM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

wacky.banana,

I had the same dilema as you a few months ago, and I opted to get the DS2500's.

I too have a MY02 STI.

I have done approx 2.5k in them now.

Braking performance is now much much better, you actually feel like your going to stop. Just need to improve the pedal feel now (braided hoses).

As for squeal. The only squeal I get is very very minimal, and usuall when applying 5-10% brakes when in town. Its not all the time and can be made to go away by just giving it a bit more pressure on the pedal. Certainly nothing like the EVO I used to own that would squeal all the time (one of the reasons I got rid of it).

I got my pads from scoobyworld.
Old 17 July 2004, 10:16 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wacky.banana
Spikus,

Thanks (you had your caps key on). So who else has any first hand experience of the EBC items, how much do they cost, how do they compare with the Pagids/Ferodos?

WB
Mr Felstead has tested them @ the ring and the Cat rally last year and he was v happy with them. To give u an idea re price, I have just ordered a set 4 ap6 pots @ £72.00 inc VAT & carriage

simon
Old 18 July 2004, 05:39 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Guys,

Thanks, much appreciated. If JohnF has used the EBC's at the ring and lived then they must be good Simo, where did you source the EBC's from?

Must say this is not an easy decision to make.

WB
Old 18 July 2004, 06:16 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Alyn,

YHM!
Old 18 July 2004, 07:45 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Drop me an email via the contact page on http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/ mark it FAO Buck and I sort you a good price, if you are interested in EBC Ceramics.

Regards

Buck
Old 19 July 2004, 02:19 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Subscribing to this thread so I can remember to contact Buck tomorrow

Cheers
Old 19 July 2004, 10:01 AM
simo
Scooby Regular

Guys,

Thanks, much appreciated. If JohnF has used the EBC's at the ring and lived then they must be good Simo, where did you source the EBC's from?

Must say this is not an easy decision to make.

WB
sales@brakes4u.co.uk, chap called John Riley

cheers Simon
Old 19 July 2004, 05:39 PM
Swede-STI
Scooby Regular

I had Pagid blue pads on my old car and was really satisfied with them. They are expensive but they don´t fade when You drive inspired.

My friends have Performance friction pads on their cars. They are outstanding. They never fade. We even drove like maniacs on a track with a friends GTO and they weight a lot. more than a Scooby.

But I don´t know if there are any Performance friction pads available for Subaru. But if there is i know what pads I will change to when the car arrives.
Old 19 July 2004, 10:45 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Default Oinc Oinc!

Bloody squeaks & squeals - glad its not just me!!!!

Took my Pagid Blues off this weekend (with copper grease deep under my nails ) and put my Pagid Blacks back on >squeal<. Definitekly more bite on the blacks - but it all sounds a bit gritty and painful when you brake with the window open!!! Have put Tekstar (made by Pagid) on the rears >squeal-squeal<. I'll report back after next Weds @ Goodwood, but it's looking good so far.

D
Old 19 July 2004, 11:11 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Once again thanks to all for the responses. Alyn, thanks for the email, that clears pricing up in my head.

Buckrogers, will email you in a minute. Still not heard from more than 1 person on the EBC's though.

Diesel, very interested in your braking experiences post Goodwood

Swede, will do a search on the net for your choice. Any more info to go on that would help, Swede?

Cheers

WB
Old 19 July 2004, 11:18 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buckrogers
Drop me an email via the contact page on http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/ mark it FAO Buck and I sort you a good price, if you are interested in EBC Ceramics.

Regards

Buck
Buckrogers, I can't seem to email you off your web page. FYI, its front & rears on an STI7 (MY02) bugeye. My email addy is in my profile, else please PM me.

Many thanks.

WB
Old 20 July 2004, 12:50 PM
Swede-STI
Scooby Regular

Swede, will do a search on the net for your choice. Any more info to go on that would help, Swede?

Cheers

WB
Mr Banana

http://www.peansweden.com/

It´s a Swedish website but i think they can help You. And I am also sure that they can ship the pads to You from Sweden also. When You reach the website "klick" on Kontakt up in the right corner. There You have their E-mail.

Most teams in FIA runs on PF pads. A team in Sweden runs them on their track-Viper and they are the best pads tested yet.

Regards
J
Old 22 July 2004, 05:39 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Swede,

Many thanks. Buckrogers, YHM at work!

Cheers

WB