Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

MY99-MY00 Brake upgrade - Worth going for.

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2000, 12:54 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joolz,

I upgraded from the original 2-pot to 4-pot brakes on my MY98, and a good improvement was obtained. I think that for a standard car with mainly road use the 4-pot setup from the later UK or STI models is fine, especially with improved pads from Pagid, Mintex or Ferodo.

If there is a problem with the standard setup, I think it is that the pads are rubbish, and quickly overheat if you are stopping from high speed. Some Mintex M1155 pads would fix this without being too aggressive on the disks, and are available from around £55.

I have now LINKed my car, and plan to do some trackdays so a more extreme solution is called for. I'm going for AP 4-Pots, so I'll soon have my brakes available if you're interested......

Regards,

Alex
(trying to be impartial)

Old 14 August 2000, 09:47 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Hi folks,

Looking for a scoob but worried bout all the people stating how crap the brakes are on these things. Have noticed on the FAQ that the brakes were upgraded in 99 (T plate). Now it looks to me that UK T-platers are silly money (well not really but you know what I mean) and I was looking for something a few k cheaper preferrably. How dramatic is the change uin braking setup between these two model years and would this mean I am better off shelling out a few extra squids for the newer model, or am I just as well off getting new disks/pads for an older R/S plate and saving a few bucks on the car. I really want to keep the car I buy as standard as I can as I have had no end of problems with current insurance on modded car (yes Admiral that's you).

A mate has just upgraded from WRX (N-reg) to STI (P reg) and says the improvement in the brakes is astounding. Would this be the same upgrade as I am aware that the STI parts have been gradually filtering down to UK models over the years.
Here's the info from the FAQ.
Pre-99 : 270 mm ventilated discs
Post-99: 292 mm ventilated discs with 4-pot callipers

I tend to push pretty fast, but no track days as of yet.

Cheers for input
Joolz.
Old 14 August 2000, 04:20 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Thanks Alex,

Will bear that in mind in case funds don't allow the MY99 model (Damn those shiny white dials!!! ). Certainly no matter which model I eventually get I don't think the standard pads will be on long after the large amounbt of advise dished out on this bbs.

I *assume* most insurance companies aren't bothered with people upgrading their stoppers?

Cheers
Joolz
Old 14 August 2000, 06:06 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Joolz,

Take very great care before NOT disclosing something to your insurers.

This is a slightly different case as this is an entirely OE solution, and as such has full type approval etc etc. In general, most insurers don't get too upset by upgraded brakes although some may require a referral to the underwriter or possibly a written engineer's report. If your insurer tries to load your policy then shop around, as I suspect I will have to with my LINK ecu and new brakes.

To be perfectly honest, I doubt it would be noticied but you're better safe than sorry.

You'll be very happy with whatever Impreza you end up with, with the possible exception of the brakes .

Regards,

Alex

P.S. don't forget to budget for new wheels if you are going for a car older than MY98 as they won't fit under the older 15 or 16" wheels.
Old 14 August 2000, 07:35 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

I know what they're like (the insurers that is!) and there's no way I'd withhold any info from them that may give them an excuse to not pay out should the need arise.

Bottom line is however that brakes will in general prevent accidents (other than people smacking into your car of course and your insurance wouldn't then be liable). Any insurer who wants to load your premium should be taking lessons in 'how to keep a customer' as they're doing something wrong.

I just don't want to write 'Brake fade after much hearty driving threw me into a hedge' on a claim form

Laters
Joolz
Old 14 August 2000, 08:13 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Mine's a MY00 and the standard 4-pot brakes are okay but you can get them to fade if you try a bit. I knew they would not take to the track very well so upgraded the fluid and pads to Prodrive (Ferodo DS2000) front and rear, at vast expense, and set off for Donington last Friday.

After a few laps the brakes started juddering (but not fading). I tried to nurse them a bit but that's not easy when you're thundering into the esses at 120. It just got worse. On closer inspection, the discs were not only warped but one had cracked. I was not happy.

Thankfully, Mike at Scoobymania was there with a pair of Bremsport direct replacement discs (£140) and Tyres Northampton fitted them for £15. We were out and away again with smooth, powerful brakes with no fade, lap after lap. Such a difference.

My conclusion is that the 4-pot calipers are good if nothing special, the discs may be okay for the road but nothing more, and the standard pads are just not up to it.

I fear that I have caught the track day bug so a set of APs and slicks will be on the way soon.

Hoppy
Old 14 August 2000, 09:13 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Hoppy:
<B>Mine's a MY00 and the standard 4-pot brakes are okay but you can get them to fade if you try a bit. [/quote]

Does anyone know if these are these the same four-pots that would be found on an STI?
Joolz

Trending Topics

Old 14 August 2000, 10:33 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Yes - they are identical.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 15 August 2000, 03:14 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

The M99/00 fourpots might be ok but the standard discs are cack. Im on my second set of discs. Braking from high speed, even only once, if done severely, will seriously cook the discs. Ive heard it said that cooling is the problem, along with an insubstantial web for the vents (hence the blue heat marks on the discs which correspond with the spacing of the webs), which would indicate that better pads might work.

[This message has been edited by Jye (edited 15 August 2000).]
Old 15 August 2000, 07:18 PM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

Question

Hoppy,

Were those replacement disks from Scoobymania Bremsport as their website seems to only show Black Diamond. Are you still happy with them under normal driving conditions. Bremsport seem to have a good reputation on the BBS but Black Diamond only so-so.

Brendan
Old 16 August 2000, 04:08 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Brendan, yes they are Bremsport discs, not Black Diamond, from Mike at ScoobyMania. They're plain, with no holes or grooves - exactly like the OEM kit.

I'm very happy with them and the Ferodo DS2000 pads. They were okay on track and fine on the road, too.

If I go for the full AP upgrade it will be purely for track reasons. I want a pedal that's really firm with as much feedback as possible, and brakes that are powerful enough to trigger the ABS without having to stand on them.

Hoppy