Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Advice on fitting new discs required please?

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2004, 09:08 AM
Geddon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice on fitting new discs required please?

Have got to fit new front discs to my MY00 tonight.
From what I can gather it sounds like:
1 Remove wheel,
2 Remove 2 caliper bolts, then slide caliper out the way.
3 There seems to be 2 other holes in the discs- are these retaining bolts for the discs?
4 Then pull the disc off the hub.
If this is correct, what are the Torque settings for the 'retaining screws' and caliper bolts when it all goes back together?

Any help appreciated...
Old 11 May 2004, 10:58 AM
crusher
Scooby Regular

If your fitting standard size discs then thats about it.. but there are a few things to consider...
Obviously the pads need to be removed first,and at the same time it's a good idea to push the pistons boack into the calipers when they are still held firmly on the car...I often use the old pads as a lever against the piston..but be careful not to damage the seals....the pistons need to go back in square...they usually do easily..because the pistons will displace brake fluidyou may need to take some out of your master cylinder if you have topped up the fluid as the pads have worn....
When you remove the caliper,dont bend the flexible brake pipe unduly,don't let the caliper hang free...balance it on the strut assemly.
The discs can either fall off easily or be held on by rust...it's not a bad idea to squirt a bit of wd40 around the area of the lip where the disc and hub meet,so as to help loosen it if it is stuck...the bolt holes are there to help you get the discs off...you can screw in a bolt in each one which will push it off the hub...If the discs are stuck on I usually put a block of wood flat behind the disc so as to spread the impact...don't want to shatter the disc...and then hit with a hammer...this usually works after a few blows....
The hub then needs to be cleaned so that there is no danger of the disc being fitted on top of an irregular surface...if that happens you will get problems with brake judder...
Clean off the hub and the new disc with brake cleaner... most new discs will have some sort of protective coating applied...thats what needs to be cleaned of the discs...
Fit the disc,fit the caliper,fit new pads....when youv'e fitted them both press brake pedal to settle pads to discs and top up brake fluid if need be...road test,check fluid again...Job done...
Are you fitting braided brake hoses?....
Old 11 May 2004, 11:20 AM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

essential this is correct .. but if you have warn discs then you may have a lip around the edge which means its difficult to get the caliper to slide off the existing rotor ( as pads are catching ) - in this case you may have to take the pads out first before removing the caliper ( remove wire clip at back, pull 2 pins out and then spring clip is released - 30 second job though).

Mine had a 1.5mm lip on both sides ( last of the late brakers ) so I had to use a screwdriver to jimmy the pads over the lip, then just get some pliers on the back of the pads ( from back of caliper ) and pull them out.

Its also handy to have a g clamp available so you can press the piston back into the caliper if need be : wider discs may not fit between exising pad to pad distance.

Make sure sure you clean the hub surface up thoroughly with a decent brake cleaner and wire wool - get all the rust and ****e off as this could cause your discs to sit incorrectly. Clean discs with a decent brake cleaner before fitting as well. If you dont this could ends up in pad deposits, juddering, knackered discs and numb hands .

If your pads have to come our first, you may as well give it all a thorough clean and re -copper slip: i..e squeal pads ( metal bits that sit on the pad and between pad and piston ) + guide pins that keep pads in caliper.

Cheers
Rich
Old 11 May 2004, 11:24 AM
Geddon
Scooby Regular

thx for your reply.
I'm just fitting some replacement discs for the moment as mine are full of cracks eek!
I've been waiting on AP 6 pots for about 8 weeks now- so this is just an interim measure.
What is the brake cleaner you mention- is that a Halfrauds job?
Do you have to take the pads out? Do they not come off with the caliper like on bikes?
Old 11 May 2004, 11:26 AM
Geddon
Scooby Regular

thx as well Rich- I've got enormous lips on my discs- should be a fun job
Old 11 May 2004, 11:55 AM
crusher
Scooby Regular

You won't get the calipers off with the pads still in place unless you were to undo the brake pipe and push the pads off the disc the pipe is not long enough to let you swing the caliper away...not worth it IMO as you have to fit new pads with the new discs...otherwise your just asking for trouble......Any brake cleaner will do...Halfrauds is fine....
what you can do is split the caliper halves...problem is you need to bleed the brakes...which is why I asked if you were fitting new hoses...Spliting the 4 pot caliper means that you don't need to remove the whole caliper..no need to undo the tight bolts holding it on...I did this fitting a Godspeed setup...but no real need unless you want to fit new hoses....

Last edited by crusher; 11 May 2004 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11 May 2004, 03:31 PM
Geddon
Scooby Regular

Are the caliper bolts hex or capheads?
Old 11 May 2004, 03:56 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

Capheads as far as I know...certainly were on my old 99...should be the same on 00... there are 4 holding caliper halves together, 2 holding the caliper onto strut assembly...
Old 11 May 2004, 04:26 PM
Geddon
Scooby Regular

cool cheers mate
Old 11 May 2004, 04:49 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

You asked about torque settings...I'm not absolutely sure of these,I have asked myself before now...I went from experience of other brakes for the 2 caliper/strut bolts and had no probs...I tightened with socket and rachet to what felt v tight, but not so you were thinking the bolt would shear off....Checked with Torque wrench,over 75lbs/ft...so I'm guessing aroud 80lbs/ft is fine...Use threadlock for extra safety...
The 4 bolts for caliper halves are not so tight...again set them so that they feel sensibly tight if you go this route...I didn't check these with torque wrench as I was happy with the "feel" of it. Hope this helps...
It would be nice to have absolute figures though....anyone have them?.....
Old 11 May 2004, 07:48 PM
Geddon
Scooby Regular

well that was a piece of pi$$
45mins start to finish. Wonder how much a dealer charges for this?
Thanks for all your help
Old 11 May 2004, 09:58 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

YEP!