Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Where to go now - MY00 PPP OEM wheels/tyres/susp

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2001, 10:21 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of questions/advice requested:

On OEM wheels/tyres MY00 PPP, prodrive settings, Mintex 1155 front, OEM fluid/lines/discs/calipers, nice ICE!

Where to go next? Quite keen on fitting Toyo T1-S for value, good reviews and progressive breakaway. On OEM wheels could 215/45R16 go on and is there any benefit? I am anxious to improve wet performance more than dry if anything which I find adequate. Not bothered about cosmetics, but also considering 17"x7 OZ Super L's which seem to come in between £6-700 a set without tyres. Which would provide the most incremental benefit - OEM to better tyres, or better tyres on 16" to better tyres on 17"? The ride quality is firm enough already and I don't want to ruin it, or make it scary in the wet or snow. Obviously the cost of a new set of wheels will keep me in tyres for the next two years! With this in mind is it worth going to 17s?

Quite keen also to get some better discs/braided lines/DOT5 - what do you guys recommend of Black Diamond, Tarox etc etc or are they all much of a muchness. These Godspeed increased sized discs look as though they could be good keeping the original calipers. Don't want to uprate the calipers - budget limits.

Would also like to get Bumpsteer done, so will have to find a suitable relative 450 miles away to go to PS!

Notably if I only get new tyres/discs/lines/fluid/BS, it might only cost the same as a set of 17s with no tyres!

Thoughts appreciated...
Old 12 August 2001, 03:09 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best VFM would be B'stone SO2 tyres. They will transform wet handling.

Then Godspeed brakes - alloy bells with OEM calipers.

If you've still got some cash, then do the above with 17in wheels, plus bump-steer removal.

Richard.
Old 12 August 2001, 04:55 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Thanks. What about 215/45R16?
Old 13 August 2001, 03:42 PM
joni
Scooby Regular

Went from OE wheels and tyres to 17" Prodrive 7's with S02 PP's. Cannot comment on improvements to 16" tyre change but new set up provides:
More confidence at turn in.
Improved ride quality with more suppleness.
huge wet grip improvement.
reduced understeer dramas.
tramlining elimination.

OE brakes OK for me for now but 17" gives more options for improvement later if needed.
Old 13 August 2001, 06:41 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Thanks - pleasantly surprised to hear of improved ride quality!
Old 14 August 2001, 09:18 AM
Dark
Scooby Regular

John

Go for 17" wheels and you have yourself an RB5 equivalent, the 2nd best thing to a P1 according to EVO.

I'd recommend AP 4pots, either the 304mm disk for under 16" wheels or the 330mm disk for under 17" wheels.

These will make a huge improve over any of the options available for the standard caliper.

Did you get your PPP from Nobles? Dare I ask how much? Email answer is okay!

Dark (Mark)
Old 14 August 2001, 09:34 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

£1763 inc VAT - but no Prodrive certificate (I'm going to nag them). I know what you are saying about the 17s, but I think I'll end up with Toyos or S02 on OEM wheels initially, as I just can't see the advantage in spending so much for the same tread on a one profile lower sidewall and a one inch wider wheel - but I'll need to go in a car with 17s to really see I suppose. My original Scooby drive had 17s and was very impressive, but I was so busy hanging my mouth open in disbelief at the g forces for such little money I couldn't honestly comment on them compared to OEM. I have never got the brakes to fade on the road (since Mintex fitted), so I think that a full new caliper might be OTT. I just want a bit more bite.

With all these things it is a question of how much to "waste" now on halfway house kit only to do the whole hog later. But there is a wife who says enough is enough, and it took a whole afternoon of campaigning to get agreement for PPP. New wheels WOULD be pusing it I think after tentatively broaching the subject the other night!
Old 14 August 2001, 07:29 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Talking

Your wife agreed to a PPP after only an afternoon's campaigning??

She's a pushover mate