Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Reconditioning Impreza 4-pots

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2004, 05:29 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reconditioning Impreza 4-pots

So i was changing my brake discs today after suspected warping only to find 3 out of 4 pistons on my o/s caliper had seized.

I have managed to free them off for now and chucked the old discs back on for the meantime although i really feel i need to recondition the calipers so as i can learn to trust them again.

Does anyone have any info on reconditioning the Impreza 4 pot caliper? Is it feasible that if any of the pistons has suffered some corrosion (which it seems they almost certainly have) that refinishing with emery cloth may prove a lont-term fix? Or is it advisable to replace with new?

Also, does anybody know who could supply the seal kit i'd need?
Old 15 April 2004, 09:37 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure you'd be able to get the kit and pistons from Subaru, god knows at what cost though!!
Old 15 April 2004, 10:32 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I posted a thread a short while back, complete with pictures and part numbers for the calliper repair kit, for both front and rear brakes

Its lots of seals, some pink stuff in a sachet, and some metal rings

Havent done mine yet, since my garage got burgled and all my tools stolen, so I currently only have two screwdrivers and a hammer (which can usually pretty much fix most things *
Old 15 April 2004, 10:45 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Carl,

Godspeed can recondition calipers to if you on't fancy trying Subaru's repair kit. Ian said that he strips them all down, cleans and re-conditions the caliper finish (any colour you want) and then fits new pistons, seals, etc..

Can't remember exactly how much he said it costs. Only real hassle is having to send them away and I don't know how quickly they can be turned around.

Stefan
Old 15 April 2004, 11:01 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by *Sonic*
I posted a thread a short while back, complete with pictures and part numbers for the calliper repair kit, for both front and rear brakes

Its lots of seals, some pink stuff in a sachet, and some metal rings

Havent done mine yet, since my garage got burgled and all my tools stolen, so I currently only have two screwdrivers and a hammer (which can usually pretty much fix most things *
Did mine a couple of weekends ago, had one (at least) piston sticking. Got the seals from GGR, about 50 quid for both sides. Worth freeing the pistons on the car, before removing the calipers. I removed the pads then pumped out the pistons that would move - not all the way though. Then I clamped the one's that had moved with G Clamps and then fitted a large socket between the opposing pistons to free off the last one - took some foot pressure for the sticking piston so make sure you stand well back from the caliper. On inspecting the pistons I could probably have done with replacing a couple due to corrosion - but I needed the car so a quick buff with a nylon scouring pad had to do. Pistons look chromed, remember thinking that someone should make stainless steel replacements (prompt Mr Godney perhaps). Not a difficult job, bit messy with all the old brake dust and fluid. Did the whole job in an afternoon.
Hope this helps.
Old 16 April 2004, 08:25 AM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Sonic, i found your thread where you decided upon reconditioning the calipers but search didn't throw up the thread you mention. I shall delve into your 'find all threads' option to find it, thanks.

Stefan, thanks also, i'll get an email to Ian together shortly. As you say though, the problem is living without them whilst they are refurbished. Dare i go back to the 2-pots that are currently gathering dust in the garage? The thought of having someone repair the paint i busted with the clamps yesterday does appeal though.

Kevin, that's pretty much exactly what the father and i did yesterday to free them off. How have yours been since you buffed them down and refitted? Problem free i presume?
Old 16 April 2004, 08:28 AM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

For anyone who digs up this thread, Sonics thread mentioned above.

Thanks again, cheaper than i thought.
Old 16 April 2004, 10:08 AM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Carl,

Yep, problem free. Next problem is likely to the back brakes - need new discs for next years MOT for sure and I'm sure by that time the rear calipers will need attention.

Kevin.
Old 16 April 2004, 10:10 AM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

You can buy repair kits. One of the Cumbrian lads took his car to a local garage for it serviced. They identifierd that his calipers were sticking and was advised they couldn't repair them! He ended up sending them to AS Performance for them rebuilt.
Old 16 April 2004, 10:17 AM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Excellent news Kevin. I have been in touch with Ian who has said he can recondition for £150 which i find to be very reasonable.

However, as i use the car daily i am going to attempt the job myself. Can anyone confirm that Subaru can supply the pistons that hopefully (touch wood !!) won't be required? Possible part number?

Right, off to be mugged by my local Subaru dealer!
Old 16 April 2004, 10:20 AM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mark@wrx
You can buy repair kits. One of the Cumbrian lads took his car to a local garage for it serviced. They identifierd that his calipers were sticking and was advised they couldn't repair them! He ended up sending them to AS Performance for them rebuilt.
Any more info on the repair kits Mark? What's included over the seal kit?
Old 17 April 2004, 10:54 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Its a piece of cake to sort the callipers out. Did mine in a couple of days.

Split them in half, sand blasted the lot with bores masked off, cleaned the pistons (no corrosion at all), painted them up and refitted the pistons, and then finally bolted them back together. Easy really.

Old 17 April 2004, 02:03 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Carl, not sure mate but i'll check and let you know. Alternatively email Alyn at AS performace for info.
Old 08 June 2004, 04:42 PM
Tim@StopTech
Scooby Newbie

Can anyone do me a huge favor and measure a piston out of the rear WRX caliper for me with a set of calipers?

Thanks a million,
Tim Kelsch
StopTech LLC
Old 08 June 2004, 09:30 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tim@StopTech
Can anyone do me a huge favor and measure a piston out of the rear WRX caliper for me with a set of calipers?

Thanks a million,
Tim Kelsch
StopTech LLC
Which WRX mate? Are the new age ones the same as the classic?

Mine is an MY98 WRX if that helps.
Old 08 June 2004, 09:40 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

No, some classics have 2-pot rears (Type-R), whereas others have single-pot sliding calipers (UK, WRX).

All newage WRX'sl have 2-pot rears, except STI's with 2-pot Brembos.

Stefan