Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Are Prodrive/Alcons now sorted?

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2001, 08:55 PM
Mac's Power
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard orininally here on Scoobynet that some people had a problem with these in the beginning. Was it pads? or discs? i can't remember. Is this all sorted out now as I'm in the market for a set?

Paul.
Old 26 March 2001, 09:16 PM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Paul,

Yes they have been sorted.
The problem was the DS3000 pads supplied, the pad material was just to hard for the disk so much so that my spiral groves disappeared
Also the pads managed to destroy my front set of wheels.

But since I had my disks, pads and wheels replaced under warranty smileys are back

Cheers,

Rob.

[This message has been edited by Rob D (edited 26 March 2001).]
Old 27 March 2001, 07:21 PM
MrData
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'll agree with Rob. Everything is fine and groovy (even the disks) now.

What's more, I've never known brake dust and wheels as easy to clean as they are now!

Regards
MrData
Old 27 March 2001, 09:41 PM
Mac's Power
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys. The one's I'm thinking of buying have about 500 miles on them and are going reasonable I think. So I need to see if they have DS2000 pads?
He's looking for £1000 with my own 4 pots.

Is this about right?

Paul.
Old 27 March 2001, 11:21 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Paul,

I have the Alcons with (I believe) DS2000's and have a helluva job getting the dust off the wheels so I'm surprised at some of the comments above. I don't disbelieve them for a nanosecond but I'm now wondering if it all comes down to the finish on the wheels. I have Kosei Snipers which are a 10 spoke design and the finish is not bad but could be better. It will be interesting to see if there's any difference after I have them refurbished.

Raymond.
Old 27 March 2001, 11:58 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

I have had the new disks and pads fitted about a month ago. I cleaned the wheels with a jet washer for the first time the other day.(not a great lover of cleaning cars)The dust just run off did not need to touch the wheels by hand.
Paul/ £1000 plus your old 4 pots is quite expensive really for second hand brakes. I paid £1200 plus £75 for rear pads and an hours fitting plus vat.all new and fitted by my dealer. I sold my 4 pots for £350.
Old 28 March 2001, 03:10 PM
Mac's Power
Scooby Regular

What's the price of the kit new?

Paul.
Old 28 March 2001, 05:25 PM
DJIMPREZA
Scooby Newbie

Hi Guys, thanks god I found the board
:
I got this Alcon Prodrive 330*28mm 4 piston kit from a US aftermarket dealer. I Put the brakes 6 months ago, the dealer claimend it came with mintex 1155 pads, wich cause everyday tons of dust amounts, I can`t keep my speedline wheel clean after 2 hours of street use. On december I started noticing some disc wear, and it goes more everyday, on the inner face size of the left disc I have lost all grooves, and I always bleed my brakes and check alligments.

Also when hard braking (without acivating the ABS) my friends can tell me that I got tons of sparks coming out the wheel, that sounds the pads eating the disc, to get the Maximun stoping power, wich I am really not needing because I don`t autocross.

The debating here is what kind of pads I can get, it`s been a nightmare since appareantly the B_type Alcon caliper that came in the kit is not so comercial in the US, and that`s the place from where I get parts to my country Venezuela.

I need a pad compound wich not leads to excesive dust amount, and the most important I don`t want to replace my discs (600$ every time witouth shipping) every 3-4 months.

So is this the price we most pay for big brake kits?, no only the 2000+ for the kits, you have also to hink in replacing discs and pads every 3-4 months? I don`t think so.. what do you think? with wich pad betwen EBC or FERODO DS2000 you have experience? I am thinking on EBC kevlar, FERODO causes dust also and becuase of it`s name they seems to be too metallic and might cause the same trouble.. but well the Prodrive sales department told that Ferodo is DS2000 is now the OEM kit pad, will they worth it 135 U.K. funds? ouchhh! wich is the best,? do you think I can get the warranty wirking aout here?
Thanks for your comments

Old 28 March 2001, 08:03 PM
Dave Mackey
Scooby Regular

My P1 is again back in the dealer having the brakes sorted!!!!

First discs supplied not treated with a protective coating so they rusted around the edges and looked crap after 500 miles!!! and stained the wheels.

Replaced disc now nice and silver all over, but have since had another problem in that overnight the tyres turned orange yes orange and the whole of the side of the car also covered in orange(rust) dust.

The pads were supposed to have been DS2000 but seems Prodrive have continued shipping DS3000 pads with some kits sold.

Dealer has pics and original pics of the dics can be found on the P1 owners e-group.

I am not a happy chappy an expensive upgrade and Prodrive still not producing the goods.
Apart from that the car is great but stays clean for a microsecond after cleaning. Wheels are always dirty.

Dave
Old 28 March 2001, 09:20 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
DJImpreza/Dave, it sounds very like you've got the DS3000 pads problem which, as you can read above, has now been fixed with DS2000 pads.

I don't know what the warranty position is for you abroad, but I do know that Prodrive pride themselves on customer service and will do what they can to help from the UK. Mail Mike Wood at Prodrive for his advice. MWood@prodrive.com

Richard
Old 29 March 2001, 04:59 AM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Roger Clark Motorsport are doing some cracking deals on the Alcon Kit and DS range of brake pads at the moment, couldnt beleive the prices of the pads compared to Prodrive dealer prices!

Paul
Old 29 March 2001, 08:39 AM
Mac's Power
Scooby Regular

So what price is the kit new then from any source?

Paul.
Old 29 March 2001, 10:26 AM
NOZZER
Scooby Regular

I also have had under warranty new discs and DS2000 pads the same time as Bob. Mine also jet wash straight off. The problem was definatly DS3000 pads.
The Alcon kit works fantastic, you won't regret it!
By the way, Bob dosn't go quick enough to get much Brake dust!!!!!!!!
Ian
Old 29 March 2001, 10:46 AM
bob
Scooby Regular

<Bud add>
True,true.
<reality>